Thread: Best spray for clover in yard?

Default Best spray for clover in yard?

I’m assuming 24D?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Yes, a stiff dose.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

How about a spray for clover food plots that won’t kill the clover? I know I’m asking totally different questions but since we are here...

24D. Lay it on thicker than the mix recommendation on the bottle unless you want to do it twice. Ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    How about a spray for clover food plots that won’t kill the clover? I know I’m asking totally different questions but since we are here...
    Arrest. Blue box. Works like a champ

Also mowing it now-ish (if your clover is blooming) will allow the clover to choke out most of the weeds.
    Last edited by wiz18; 05-09-2018 at 09:03 PM.

That the whitetail institute stuff?

That the whitetail institute stuff?
    Yes. Bring your checkbook if you’re doing big acreage. I’d mow now and see where you stand in a few weeks. I try to not spray until late June unless the plot looks like it’ll get taken over.

I'm pretty sure my yard is nothing but clover. I just cut it, and it looks green and well kept. I went over to a buddy's house today who was cutting his sod out of his front yard because a little centipede got in it. He's a UGA grad, though, so he's really proud of his yard.

Yep I’m going to mow this weekend and let it grow back out and see how bad it is. You having any luck on leaving clover and the deer using it? We typically plant an annual blend that has some clover mixed in and just redo it every summer. Somehow we have a few plots that have a ton of good clover left so I’m thinking of maintaining it and possibly over seeding it somehow

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    I'm pretty sure my yard is nothing but clover. I just cut it, and it looks green and well kept. I went over to a buddy's house today who was cutting his sod out of his front yard because a little centipede got in it. He's a UGA grad, though, so he's really proud of his yard.

I’m with you. I actually love clover in my yard, however my grandmother has a bee in her bonnet about wanting to spray hers

I’m with you. I actually love clover in my yard, however my grandmother has a bee in her bonnet about wanting to spray hers
    I know the feeling.

Clethodim for grasses and slay or 24DB for broadleaf. Slay is pricey but I found a generic brand if you want to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by duckchoppin View Post
    Clethodim for grasses and slay or 24DB for broadleaf. Slay is pricey but I found a generic brand if you want to go that route.

Do you mix these two together for clover plots? How do you use these mixtures?

Poast and 24-db will have your clover plots clean as a whistle. Mix together and spray at same time. We typically cut it half way back now and then spray in a few weeks and then cut it again in July.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 05-10-2018 at 05:47 AM.

poast plus
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

2 apps of Trimec took care of mine, 5ou. per 1000 sq ft.

No idea on best, have only used Trimec which works and it usually took two applications per directions on mixture and rate. Just assumed it was because I was always in a hurry and drove too fast when spraying. This year the clover was nuts with the cool and wet spring weather.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Yep I’m going to mow this weekend and let it grow back out and see how bad it is. You having any luck on leaving clover and the deer using it? We typically plant an annual blend that has some clover mixed in and just redo it every summer. Somehow we have a few plots that have a ton of good clover left so I’m thinking of maintaining it and possibly over seeding it somehow
    A good clover plot, if maintained, fertilized and limed properly, can last you a solid five years plus. I would go broke replanting every year. I try to get 5-7 out of our clover/chicory plots.
    Carolina Counsel

The bees should be wearing out the clover this time of year. Spraying the clover right now would probably result in the complete death of the colonies that each individual bee interacts with. I'd never tell a man what to do on his own land, but would you wait to spray until the clover is at least done blooming? Herbicides have been proven to cause colony collapse at almost the same rate as neonictoid based insecticides.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post

I don’t think I could be friends with someone like that.