Thread: Biscuit tearing fletchings?

is my whisker biscuit tearing up my fletchings?

those that shoot biscuits, where is your odd fletching?

i changed a few times under the direction of Jeffrey and went to odd fletching UP. It shoots well that way. BUT, i seem to be losing my odd fletching at an alarming rate.

i shot about 100 times over the weekend. I have probably 18 arrows. i now have 9 with all fletchings intact.

i aimed at different spots on the target so as not to accidentally shoot an arrow...so that ain't the problem.

any ideas?

i have heard of people using a pair of scissors and "thinning out" the whiskers....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Tooth, I shoot feathers with the cock feather down and don't have any trouble. My guess would be the cause of you problem is operator error. The best solution is to go to Jeffery and buy more arrows.

Seriously, though, I shoot both feathers and vanes and have not ever had a problem. Is it tearing chunks out of the fletching in the middle or from the front? If they are coming loose at the front end, you might try putting a dot of fletch-tite at the front of each feather.

I shoot the Whisker Biscuit as well with the odd fletching up and haven't had a problem. It is a new bow with all new accessories and I am new to bowhunting this year so it has been shot a lot. No problems as of yet.

Now that you bring it up though, I will be looking and thinking about it.
    Lowcountry Branch QDMA<br />\"Let him go so he can grow\"

they are lifting from the front. they will rip completely off after that.

Try the extra dot of glue on the front of each feather. It shouldn't affect arrow flight and should help keep them on.

2th, when I started using my new WB, it was ripping the fletchings off too. I refletched all of my arrows and haven't had any problems since. Apparently, the glue was brittle and it caused them to tear off.

I don't know if the glue drop in front of the fletching would work, but it's worth a shot before refletching all of your arrows.

It hasn't mattered where the odd fletching is for me. I put mine out, fwiw.
    If we weren\'t supposed to eat animals, God wouldn\'t have made them out of meat!!

Do you have the old or new style? The old style(black bristles) would occasionally rip off fletching. The new style, with the brown bristles is supposedly softer and easier on fletchings. Even with the

You might want to give the new bohninng blazer vanes a try. They are a lot stiffer than traditional vanes and shorter. You will pick up a little speed and they steer broadheads great. Just a thought. Hope it helps. Later.

I shoot the old whisker biscuit and have not had a single problem with my vanes. I shoot with the cock vane horizontal. I would think it would have to be a problem with the glue being used on the fletching.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

The latest models have stiffer bristles on the bottom of the rest to better support the shaft and need to be shoot with the cock feather/vane up. Me personally, I don't like the rest and I gave mine to DuckDuckDog about three weeks ago...don't know if he got it or not since he hasn't responded to any PM's since I mailed it [img]graemlins/ah.gif[/img]

Get a fall away rest and forget about vane clearance problems.

not a bad idea, tommy....but my main reason for getting the biscuit was that it will hold the arrow in place no matter the position of the bow. when i started bow hunting, i got frustrated in a little lock-on stand and having to hold the bow in my lap while watching the arrow fall off the rest. the biscuit cured that problem, but brought some others with it.

do you guys hang your bow? have a bow rest mounted on the stand? hold it upright for hours at a time? just wondering...

I hold mine the whole time once I get in the stand. I have a nifty little holster that snaps on my belt and sits about mid-thigh on my left leg that makes it a breeze.

Mine sits in my lap while hunting. I will hang it for a second while I stand to stretch.

As far as the biscuit tearing fletchings...........you are practicing too much. When you can hit a pie plate at 20 yds consistantly you need to concentrate on other things. Take the 30 and 40 yd pin off before it gets you in trouble.

i only shoot one pin....and can hit a quarter a 20 yards...geez. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]

and i practice a LOT more with the recurve.

and i can't hold the bow the whole time. how am I supposed to read my book?

2th,

I use the Muzzy Zero Effect rest. The hook that picks up the arrow won't let it fall off the shelf. I can hold my bow any way but upside down without having to even look at the rest while I draw. The Muzzy linkage spooks most folks because it looks complicated at first glance. Once you see it in action, it's really quite simple and foolproof. Along with ending vane clearance problems, it is less finicky about shaft stiffness and arrow push off during release. You will also supposedly pick up a few fps of speed.

Several other brands of fall-aways now have big pickup forks.

In the tree, I usually keep my bow across my lap. I also added a quick connect gizmo on the end of the cable guard. It's made from the little key chain quick disconnects. The other half is connected to the shoulder strap of my climbing harness. It allows the loaded bow to hang under my left arm while I stand or walk.

Be careful with those bowrest you clamp tpo your tree stand. I had my bow fall after the adjusting the rest to far forward for an easier pick up while I was up the tree.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

That got his attention, the rest arrived safe and sound [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I have to hold my bow constantly or I get really nervous and insecure...

yea tooth I had the same problem with the flecthings tearing from the front but I have an flecthing tool and I redid my arrows and havent had any more problems after using some better glue