Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some night time pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    At night?
    Yes. Farming friend of mine was looking for something to help keep them honest. Not sure what he wants to spend but replanting corn gets pretty expensive pretty quick.

Setup the jager pen a couple of weeks ago. I know he was talking to them about the night optic they sell, but I'm not sure what it is.

It's hard to do it right on a budget. The flir 233 is about 2300 and it's been impressive so far. Used 14s are around 2k plus another 1k in a decent laser. In my mind you need both. You can get by without the laser if you do your shooting with the thermal but you need NV for driving and walking. You would be shocked how fast those fuckers will haul ass at the first hint of white light.
    Shooting them with 223 or 300bo is no where near effective. A good reliable 308 is a must have in my book.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

What do y'all do with the meat?
    Windows Down!

Good job Griffin

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Had the Jager Pro guys down for a Young Farmer's meeting last month. Their product speaks for itself. They do a necropsy on all sows and count the litter.
    It was an interesting meeting. They are in the process of trying to set up co-ops with farmers in Georgia and are recruiting folks to set up and run traps for them on contract.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Good work, Griffin.

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    What do y'all do with the meat?
    It is used a fertilizer for the fields
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosscat View Post
    Had the Jager Pro guys down for a Young Farmer's meeting last month. Their product speaks for itself. They do a necropsy on all sows and count the litter.
    It was an interesting meeting. They are in the process of trying to set up co-ops with farmers in Georgia and are recruiting folks to set up and run traps for them on contract.

I don't think their product speaks for itself. Same farmer owned 4 systems and sold them. We kill way more now with way less effort. Jager systems shine in the woods and in areas with small fields. While we haven't curbed their numbers we have proven that you can beat them down bad enough to shift their patterns and keep them off crops long enough to get them to take hold. Last year the guy replanted 3k acres. This year it should be under 1k. That's a pretty big win when it's corn and peanuts
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

You should rename those video series to "Aim to Maim" If you need any help with them pigs, let me know.

Good killing by the way.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

It is used a fertilizer for the fields

I don't think their product speaks for itself. Same farmer owned 4 systems and sold them. We kill way more now with way less effort. Jager systems shine in the woods and in areas with small fields. While we haven't curbed their numbers we have proven that you can beat them down bad enough to shift their patterns and keep them off crops long enough to get them to take hold. Last year the guy replanted 3k acres. This year it should be under 1k. That's a pretty big win when it's corn and peanuts
    I don't have a dog in the fight and don't want to cause a stir. But, they were very adamant that their product be set up, built, and used to their exact specifications to ensure it works properly. What county are you in if you don't mind me asking? I have a farmer friend that has a unit and has had success catching 30+ a clip. Their best night was 49, but you have to literally monitor your phone 24/7 with the M.I.N.E. system. Not trying to argue by any means, I just haven't heard that take on their product yet and want to discuss.

I'll add that the friend I'm speaking of is operating in fields of 200-300 acres, I imagine you are speaking of fields larger than that being in SW GA.
    Last edited by Hosscat; 05-04-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosscat View Post
    I don't have a dog in the fight and don't want to cause a stir. But, they were very adamant that their product be set up, built, and used to their exact specifications to ensure it works properly. What county are you in if you don't mind me asking? I have a farmer friend that has a unit and has had success catching 30+ a clip. Their best night was 49, but you have to literally monitor your phone 24/7 with the M.I.N.E. system. Not trying to argue by any means, I just haven't heard that take on their product yet and want to discuss.

I'll add that the friend I'm speaking of is operating in fields of 200-300 acres, I imagine you are speaking of fields larger than that being in SW GA.
    Na you're not causing a stir at all. Small properties they work well. They were setup correctly because the jager guys don't live an hour and 15 minutes away and helped setup the first one. Problem was the amount of time to setup and move one was high and these pigs move around a tremendous amount. On a small property they work extremely well. For 14k acres you would need a truck load of traps and he amount of time to maintain, check, and move them isn't practical.
    Most of the fields are 500+ with several over 2k acres. You can't get all the video on one clip but you can catch 15 pigs way out in a field and clean up all 15 in a hurry. plus with a trap you have to move all the dead pigs and that's way more energy than we care to expend on a dead hog

That's what I was thinking in terms of time and I believe that's one reason for them trying to get grants to establish the co-ops. Running their traps is a full time job on large properties. A farmer can't farm, hunt, trap, move traps, check traps, bait traps all hours of the day and be productive.

That FLIR 233 has been on my radar for a while. Yet another thing to dig into. I'd put it on a 6.5 Grendel or my M&P-10 and rock on.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Na you're not causing a stir at all. Small properties they work well. They were setup correctly because the jager guys don't live an hour and 15 minutes away and helped setup the first one. Problem was the amount of time to setup and move one was high and these pigs move around a tremendous amount. On a small property they work extremely well. For 14k acres you would need a truck load of traps and he amount of time to maintain, check, and move them isn't practical.
    Most of the fields are 500+ with several over 2k acres. You can't get all the video on one clip but you can catch 15 pigs way out in a field and clean up all 15 in a hurry. plus with a trap you have to move all the dead pigs and that's way more energy than we care to expend on a dead hog
    I agree that the traps work better in some situations that others. The main field they are in for us right now is 600+ acres. Our problems isn't the amount of land, but the fact that the pigs are staying in a good size block of swamp/woods between a few fields. We shoot them on this side and they move to the other side for a while. Hell they rooted up one guys entire front yard on the other side one night. Then the other side hunts them and they come back. We are picking off a few everytime. But the potential to capture 30-40 at a time is huge for us. I can see where if you have them moving between 14k acres of fields that being mobile is a bigger advantage. Thankfully we don't have enough hogs to shoot 250 in a year and just keep them honest. And yes we've hit them with dogs from both sides at the same time. Same thing. We kill a few everytime and they disappear for a while.

But I will say this for the Jager guy. He got his start shooting hogs at night with thermals. He was one of the pioneers (at least in GA). And he has probably killed as many hogs as anyone in the south. I still remember his post 10-12+ years ago on GON where he had stacks of 30 and 40 dead hogs. And the other hog hunters getting mad with him for killing so many and killing the "little ones".

But as they have grown they have delved into other tactics. All in the name of killing hogs.

Nice man!