Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those not on FB concerning USFS and Carolina Wildlife Syndicate.

Default For those not on FB concerning USFS and Carolina Wildlife Syndicate.

A little update to CWS activity and observations to preface the following post.

1. CWS has found and proved that the USFS is in violation of its own National Environmental Policy (NEPA) and Land Management Plan (LMP) by being well above their allotted growing season burn acreages.

2. CWS has found and proved that the USFS is in violation of burn intensity levels per their NEPA and LMP using high intensity fire where only low intensity fire is allowed.

3.CWS noted that many of the interior compartments are fire treated on short return intervals in the core of the forest redundantly instead of treating the urban interface where fuel loads are high and treatment is much needed.

4. CWS has ground checked around 4,200 acres of dead standing (thin class and saw class) once marketable pine timber.

5.. CWS has ground checked another 10-15,000 acres of highly stressed pine timber of all age classes.

6. CWS has ground checked several thousand fringe acres of what were transition zones and found numerous mature desirable hardwoods and cavity trees have been killed and stressed.

7. CWS has observed a full extermination of hardwood inclusions. Dogwoods, Holly and other mast bearing trees have all but been eliminated in the interior compartments and now are found along road fringe.

8. CWS has found that polls and data from local and professional counts that poult per hen and Quail Whistle counts have been down since the new fire regime began in 2013.

9. CWS data collected from long time and knowledgeable hunters is in great contrast to the USFS data even though done on same routes and timing stops.

10. CWS has noted that public facilities, trails, roads and food plots have been gravely neglected while millions are spent on fire applications.

11. CWS has noted that the recent wildfires post evaluations have produced far better burn mosaics and positive fire attributes than the USFS applied prescription fire.

12. CWS has noted that prescription fire during the early growing season has risen from 31% to 57% of total acreage burnt annually since 2013.

POST UPDATE:

Once again, A known high density Eastern Wild Turkey nesting area was again burned by the #USFS on 4/21/18. Areas of struggling Bobwhite Quail populations, where numbers were struggling but slightly increasing, have also been burned very recently and with short return, landscape sized high intensity fire.

For the life of me (and many others), I can't understand the USFS's rationale of burning with high intensity fire, on large landscapes with short return intervals in the same compartments redundantly. Such practice has no basis. Shamefully, even those compartments located in the legally binding Francis Marion Wildlife Preserve, specifically set aside for nesting and breeding activities by Presidential Proclamation, have not found respite from the USFS's over zealous, improper and damaging fire regime. Particularly more disturbing is that they only have around 5000 acres left to burn before Oct 1 since their NEPA violation was brought to attention by CWS. This acreage allotment and amount of time left easily offers the USFS the chance to alleviate damaging fire during this vulnerable period and they continue.

The following questions keeping popping up on phone calls, emails and texts from members daily:

Why doesn't the USFS repair Forest Service Roads? Why are public facilities in our National Forest in such terrible shape?
    Why doesn't the USFS wait till after the nesting and fawning season to burn?
    Why does the USFS push their burn agenda ahead of common sense wildlife knowledge?
    Why is the USFS killing valuable pine trees with fire? Why is the USFS killing mature hardwoods with fire? Why does the USFS ignore scientifically proven evidence that Turkey, Quail, ground / low nesting song birds are trying to nest and raise their young at this time?
    Why does the USFS ignore that the Whitetail Deer Doe drops her fawns during this period?
    How does those at the USFS call this healthy fire and wildlife management and still sleep at night?

It's time for us to push for a genuine change! CWS is NOT seeking a change which excludes all prescription fire, but rather a change back to good, solid and productive prescription fire where both timber and wildlife benefit. Until around 5-10 years ago these same acreages were burned with good prescription fire, fuels were reduced and benefits were seen for wildlife, all without such terribly damaging effects.

CWS is requesting that you please take a few minutes of your time to help make a difference. Your efforts will go a long way in deciding and documenting you concerns as a citizen and will reflect upon what is to come concerning the future health of our National Forests.

Please cut, copy, and paste the following email and send it to the individuals below as well as your federal and state legislators. For your local Congressional and Legislative Senators you can go to their web page and hit the contact button then cut copy and paste into the email section provided.

Recipients to send to :

Rlint@fs.fed.us RSwhalen@fs.fed.us Vcchristiansen@fs.fed.us Karney@fs.fed.us

In the subject line type :

USFS- Stop your damaging fire activities in South Carolina !

Cut, Copy and Paste the following :

USFS ,

I am a law-abiding, taxpaying and concerned citizen. I am also a member of the Carolina Wildlife Syndicate and I strongly support our mission statement. I highly value and enjoy our National Forest lands. The health of the wildlife, particularly our game birds and animals, that make these lands its home are extremely important to myself and others. I am fully aware of the need to reduce fuel loads for the prevention of wildfire. However, your current fire regime has been far more damaging and most certainly improperly executed in regards to that goal and has caused more damage than good.

Over the past 5-10 years I have seen our local National Forest lands change far for the worse, especially in the Sumter and Francis Marion National Forests, as a direct result of USFS's increased, large-scale, damaging, ill-timed and ill-applied prescription fire. In years past the USFS's fuel reduction goals were readily met with wildlife and timber taken into consideration and without massive and damaging post fire effects. USFS land management plans are no longer genuine or reasonable towards wildlife, timber or multi use resource management. The new management plan centers on altering natural landscapes, reducing multi value usage and are set forth centered around only more fire acreage accrual and fire funding. Even the legally binding Presidential Proclamation, which created the Francis Marion Wildlife Preserve, has been ignored which represents a criminal act in and of itself.

Over the above-mentioned time period, the devastating effects from the USFS fire regime have left behind terribly damaged National Forest land that can not be healed in my lifetime. These lands are filled with an unacceptable and easily observed amount of dead standing and highly stressed timber, to include both mature pines and desirable hardwoods. Today's forest damage is ironically not a result of wildfire. The damage is a direct result of your overly aggressive, poorly-timed and large-scale high-intensity prescription fire. This fact alone represents a terrible economic loss to the taxpayer, who funds your budget. This will not be tolerated or excused.

This timber is not only valuable to wildlife and pleasing to the public eye but could also be properly harvested as such to provide much needed funding for road maintenance, trail maintenance, food plotting, maintenance of wildlife openings and repair of pubic facilities. All of these activities have been severely neglected on our National Forest lands for many years.

Additionally, at this point, USFS fire damage has created the perfect scenario for a full scale insect infestation upon our valuable forests and timber.

Furthermore, growing season burns occurring March 15- June 15 must stop. Science has readily proven that the Eastern Wild Turkey, Southern Bobwhite Quail, White Tail Deer, the threatened Long Eared Bat and other various wildlife are attempting to breed, nest, poult, fawn and pup during this time period. Not only the USDA but also SEAWFA has noted that special care should be applied to the use of prescription fire during these time periods to allow for non-disrupted wildlife recruitment needs. The very agency in charge of taking care of these lands and wildlife, the USFS, still ignores these facts. Currently, even the most noted federal and state biologist in our nation have noted a sharp decline in Quail and Turkey populations and yet the USFS continues its damaging fire regime. Meanwhile, when questioned the USFS continues to lean on research which applies to low intensity fire on small land tracts as creating beneficial habitat which simply does not hold true to your high intensity, large scale activities. Most certainly, your damaging fire regime should also be looked at as a potential factor in the further decline of the wildlife species noted earlier that were once in abundance.

Simply put, your damaging fire regimes must stop and be immediately re-evaluated. As a taxpaying citizen, I want more attention and concern to be paid towards productive and scientifically-proven wildlife management strategies, much needed road maintenance and repairing our public facilities and far less on damaging high-cost prescription fire.

Signed by a Proud South Carolinian, Licensed Hunter, Outdoorsman, Conservationist and Registered Voter,

Genesis 9;2

Thanks, GOD BLESS and GOOD LUCK fighting the system. Ask me how I know. It takes MONEY and ALOT of IT.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Indeed, it also takes the action of voting sportsmen and in this case will only cost about two minutes of your time SC Duckers.
    Genesis 9;2

I applaud your effort to better our NF.

Have you been able to get any answers, from NSFS, on the questions your posted above?
    Last edited by bigtimeduckhunter; 04-27-2018 at 06:57 AM.

Sent from here. Thanks David
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Sent

sent

sent

sent
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

sent

Done

Done

Anyone gotten a reply yet?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Done
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

Good stuff guys, its greatly appreciated!
    Genesis 9;2

Anyone gotten a reply?

Good morning –

I am Rhea Whalen, the District Ranger on the Francis Marion National Forest. I am writing to tell you that I truly appreciate your recent comments, concerns, and commitment to the forest. Please contact me at (843) 336-2201 to set up a time to speak by phone, in person, or to set up a time to go into the forest with me so I can learn more about your concerns.

My staff and I are dedicated to public service and the stewardship of these public lands, so we look forward to your further involvement. Hunters are the first conservationists, and we want to work with you in partnership as we continue with our work.

Managing the Francis Marion is very complex, and there are many thing we must consider: laws, regulations, public and firefighter safety, and smoke management measures, to name a few. I want you to know that we don’t make these decisions lightly. We also realize we don’t know everything, so we evaluate, research and listen to people like you.

I would like to share a few things with you about the Francis Marion National Forest and prescribed burning.

We made significant changes to our prescribed burning program in 2018 because of public input:
    • We completed more dormant season (Sept. 1-March 30) burning this year.
    • We changed the way we apply fire to the hardwood transition zones.
    • We utilized hand ignition as much as aerial ignition.
    • We increased our public outreach and notification of planned burns.
    • We try to break up burn blocks and start fire ignition earlier in the day, when possible.

Still, we need to conduct some prescribed burns in the growing season. There are many proven benefits, and I believe it would be irresponsible to completely abandon this method.

So how could burning while wild turkeys are nesting be at all beneficial?

Wildlife management involves some contradictions and tradeoffs. We remove trees to create wildlife habitat. We hunt some animals to keep a total population in check and the remaining animals healthier. And we conduct prescribed burning to improve wildlife habitat. Burning during the growing season – while Eastern wild turkeys are nesting – may seem ill-advised. But this type of burning can improve overall conditions for wild turkeys by creating and improving habitat, particularly brood habitat. We may lose a nest, but the burn helps create more grasses and forbs that are favorable for insects, providing food for future broods over the next 2-3 years.

There is research supporting growing season burning, and the National Wild Turkey Federation supports it. Coastal Plain Forests, Wildlife Refuges, Department of Defense, and others across the South have been successfully and regularly burning in the growing season for more than 25 years. The size of our prescribed burns on the Francis Marion, the time of year, the amount burned, and our overall program is in line with 13 other National Forests across the Southern Region of the USDA Forest Service.

Only 10-20 percent of the total area available for turkeys on the Francis Marion National Forest are burned during the nesting season in any one year. Our average burn unit size for a growing season burn is 700 acres and we have a 3 year burn rotation average. We generally conduct half of our prescribed burning during the dormant season and half during the growing season.

A great deal of planning goes into each prescribed burn. Our experts in wildlife biology, forest health, timber production, and fire work together to ensure the prescribed fires meets multiple resource objectives. As you are aware, the Francis Marion Ranger District encompasses more than 260,000 acres, just more than 400 square miles. About 70 percent (180,000 acres) of the forest needs prescribed burning every 2-3 years to provide optimal habitat for a large variety of fire-adapted animal and plant species.

By applying different prescribed fire treatments at different times, we can allow varying vegetative communities to grow and reduce encroachment of undesirable species, such as sweetgum. We strive to provide desirable habitat on a large scale, and manage for nine different federally listed threatened or endangered species and about 72 species of conservation concern. Many of these species have different habitat requirements that can require prescribed burning in different seasons.

Sometimes, you may see trees that have died because of the prescribed fires that burned too hot. This is again tied to the complexity of the management on this forest. We have taken measures to reduce the chances of tree mortality, but we know we may not be able to totally prevent it. For example, we have learned tree mortality may occur in the volatile bay fuel vegetation and adjacent trees near the bays. Other areas of tree mortality have occurred in units where there is heavy fuel buildup because of lack of prescribed burning, thick tree stands or storm damage. Because some of the areas with heavy buildup are near roads and homes, these are particularly complex areas to burn, and some tree mortality can occur. Sometimes the wind can shift unexpectedly and kill a pocket of trees. And to further complicate things, some of the habitat for the species I mentioned above require higher intensity fires to maintain critical habitat, and those fires have a greater risk of tree mortality.

The Francis Marion Wildlife Preserve (also known as the Waterhorn/Wambaw) was established for the preservation of wildlife species and excluded hunting, trapping and fishing. While hunting was eventually permitted, it was again revoked in 1963 (CFR 241.8). Changes to that revocation have not been implemented. Scientifically supported wildlife management includes land management activities such as timber harvests, prescribed burning, and planting and mowing of wildlife openings. The Environmental Impact Statement for our Forest Plan revision discloses the effects of our management on the Francis Marion and is available on our website: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/scnfs...d=FSEPRD575346

The Francis Marion’s timber sales do provide funding back to the counties for road and trail repair improvements. In 2018, we have scheduled timber sales of approximately 30,000-32,000 CCF. That is approximately 110,400 to 117,800 tons of logs, or 4,100 to 4,400 log trucks mostly bound for local mills. We hope to further increase the pace and scale of these sales so we can increase the pace and scale of restoring the forest. To reestablish natural longleaf and loblolly pine, prescribed fire is a valuable tool used to prepare the ground for the seedlings to grow.

We also consider the need to protect adjacent private lands and communities from the potential of a catastrophic wildfire. We have agreements with several partners and counties to protect our communities from wildfire. We have more than 20 private landowners who have asked to be included in our prescribed fire program to benefit their properties and reduce the risk of catastrophic wildfires.

I hope you find some of some this information useful, and I look forward to discussing any of it with you. Again, please free to contact me at the number listed above. I look forward to hearing more from you in the future. I have also attached a few links with further information.

Thank you.

http://www.nwtf.org/conservation/art...rn-piney-woods

http://myscmap.sc.gov/news/2016/mar/...easonburn.html

https://goodfires.org/

Rhea S. Whalen
    District Ranger
    Forest Service
    Francis Marion Ranger District
    p: 843-336-2200 x2201
    c: 843-412-3571
    rswhalen@fs.fed.us

2967 Steed Creek Road
    Huger, SC 29450
    www.fs.fed.us

Caring for the land and serving people
    DILLIGAF

Sounds correct.

yep just got the same email today as well

What's this all about ?