Thread: Timber logging question

Default Timber logging question

Is there a minimum that loggers are willing to cut. My idea is to purchase a tract that is all pines and see if a logger would be willing to cut in my driveway and homesite which may total 3 acres when its done if not more. My idea was to log it and in return put what I made towards clean up and grading. Is this a fantasy more than reality? Any ideas/suggestion?
    Non Supporting Member

If you had some additional acreage to thin or cut, that would sweeten the pot. Here, the cost of moving in the equipment would be cost prohibitive to get a crew in for 3 acres worth. There are some land clearing folks that will pay something or deduct the timber from the clearing costs, in exchange for the wood, but usually well below market price for the timber.

Good luck. I can't get anyone to come thin/cut 12 acres. If you can convince someone to come do 3 I'm gonna bust a spring.

Quote Originally Posted by rodandgun83 View Post
    Is there a minimum that loggers are willing to cut. My idea is to purchase a tract that is all pines and see if a logger would be willing to cut in my driveway and homesite which may total 3 acres when its done if not more. My idea was to log it and in return put what I made towards clean up and grading. Is this a fantasy more than reality? Any ideas/suggestion?
    You might try Wilkerson Logging in Hickory Grove SC. If they can't, they might know some small logger that might log small lots.

PM GBelly.....he specializes in 3 acre tracts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

How many acres total? If over 20 and there is value, why not thin the whole place? It costs hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to relocate equipment.

I cut a load of hardwood myself and had a hauler take it to the mill. Waiting on my small check now.
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmet Gobbler View Post
    How many acres total? If over 20 and there is value, why not thin the whole place? It costs hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to relocate equipment.
    Not over 20. 10 acres. I want to keep a buffer around the property as much as possible
    Non Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    I cut a load of hardwood myself and had a hauler take it to the mill. Waiting on my small check now.
    I thought about doing the same. Plus theres a paper mill down the road.
    Non Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    That is your best bet. And Slaya is on point as well.

On my 70 acres I just bought I wanted to do a small clear cut area maybe 10 acres in the back, then thin the remainder and have them clear 3-4 acres for my homesite. My timber guy told me that was fine but my problem would come 15 years or so later when the replanted clear cut was ready for its first thinning. He said I would likely have a hard time finding a logger to haul their equipment in to thin less than 20 acres.

My plan is to clear cut 20 acres and replant, thin the remainder, then proceed from there.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I found a guy in chapin to cut 2.5 acres of just woods and he ended up sending me a check for a little over a 1000.00 pm me and I’ll try and find a number on the guy
    For nothing will be impossible with CHRIST Luke 1:37

Talk to your neighbor if he has any timber

Find someone that clears land and has the ability to sell the timber. A man with a track hoe, chainsaw and log trailer would love that job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I attempted the same thing. Good luck!

It’ll cost $10k-$12k for clearing/grading after the timber guys leave.