Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WiFi booster/extender

Default WiFi booster/extender

Recently cut the cord on cable and have 40 mbps ATT internet. We have little to no issues running Netflix/PS Vue or Google Chrome Cast on 3 TVs in the house. We use the ATT supplied router but also have a 6 year old or so router on stand by if needed. I cannot get a signal to be able to watch tv on the porch.

Do I need a new router or a range booster/extender? Something else?
    "Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

Stand by fool....

Here you go...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got 2 of these recently. One in the upstairs hallway, which bumped up the signal in the den up there. The other I put in my shop and it grabs the signal from the house like a champ. You know the lay out.

I’m very pleased.

We have a Netgear one that looks like that. Not sure if same model or not, but ours works well also.

We need to do something too. We dropped DirecTV some time ago and need a reliable signal from our router, which is in our garage and not in a great spot to get it's signal throughout the house and to my detached garage. Several TV's streaming now and we need a good, strong signal. Was talking to a buddy of mine who is an IT executive with a computer engineering background and he says the in-house extenders do increase the range, but they cut the speed down significantly - I want to say it's in half or more. He has the Orbi system and says it will fix all that - but it runs about $400.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Here you go...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got 2 of these recently. One in the upstairs hallway, which bumped up the signal in the den up there. The other I put in my shop and it grabs the signal from the house like a champ. You know the lay out.

I’m very pleased.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    We need to do something too. We dropped DirecTV some time ago and need a reliable signal from our router, which is in our garage and not in a great spot to get it's signal throughout the house and to my detached garage. Several TV's streaming now and we need a good, strong signal. Was talking to a buddy of mine who is an IT executive with a computer engineering background and he says the in-house extenders do increase the range, but they cut the speed down significantly - I want to say it's in half or more. He has the Orbi system and says it will fix all that - but it runs about $400.
    I have noticed zero drop in speed. I’m kicking the signal out over 100’ to my shop as well.
    Order them though Amazon, if they don’t work just return them for full refund.

Those Amazon things don’t work.
    More fuel = more boost!!

What krt said if you really want to fix the problem go to Best Buy and buy you a good router. They run between $125 and $300. No you don’t have to get the most expensive. My boss bought one for $250 and lives on a 3 acre lot and can get very good signal anywhere in his yard. He can even get it in his shop that is 200’ behind his house. He runs his security system with it. He said it is the best money he has ever spent. Granted you may not need one that strong so it will be cheaper. The routers that the internet service people give you are garbage.

This is what he got. Apparently they are a lot cheaper on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XJ...ds=asus+router
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 04-16-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManvsDuck View Post
    Recently cut the cord on cable and have 40 mbps ATT internet. We have little to no issues running Netflix/PS Vue or Google Chrome Cast on 3 TVs in the house. We use the ATT supplied router but also have a 6 year old or so router on stand by if needed. I cannot get a signal to be able to watch tv on the porch.

Do I need a new router or a range booster/extender? Something else?

#whitepeopleproblems
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Those Amazon things don’t work.
    i disagree. I have one plugged in to an outside outlet at my shop (90ft from house). I then run a LAN cable out of the extender, through the shop wall (steel building), and into my computer. Full signal. Been working great since fall 2016. I also have one in the master bedroom to increase signal to roku/firestick. Router is located in living room.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    What krt said if you really want to fix the problem go to Best Buy and buy you a good router. They run between $125 and $300. No you don’t have to get the most expensive. My boss bought one for $250 and lives on a 3 acre lot and can get very good signal anywhere in his yard. He can even get it in his shop that is 200’ behind his house. He runs his security system with it. He said it is the best money he has ever spent. Granted you may not need one that strong so it will be cheaper. The routers that the internet service people give you are garbage.

This is what he got. Apparently they are a lot cheaper on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XJ...ds=asus+router
    That router you have listed is out of stock, but this router is another good one that gets great reviews.
    asus rt-ac68u and is a little bit cheaper.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    We have a Netgear one that looks like that. Not sure if same model or not, but ours works well also.
    Ditto. Mine is similar. It hangs behind the blinds in the laundry room and allows for wireless use down at the barn. I'm pleased with it.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input fellas. I ordered the booster Steelin suggested and will update.
    "Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

Every WiFi router or Wireless Access Point broadcasts out a RF signal. That RF signal is transmitted on a specific frequency called a "channel". There's like 20 of em. There is always a default channel it comes set to out the box. Vast majority of people never change it. The lower the channel, the lower the frequency. The lower the frequency, the better that RF signal will pass thru walls, metals, etc. This might help you get some more range. 5G wifi signals are cool because they support higher speeds, but they also broadcast on higher frequencies. Which is great for speed, but typically do not have the same range as a 2.4G connection set to a lower frequency. Chances are, your internet connection isn't fast enough to really to take advantage the benefits of the 5G connection over the 2.4G.

The owner's manual should show you how to log into your own modem/router. If you don't have the manual, just google the model number and you should be able to easily find the default username and password as well as the IP address you need to enter into your browser to get there (Pro tip- while you're in there, might as well go ahead and change that default info to keep others from getting in there too. and of course write it down somewhere because you'll forget it.) If your router is built in to your ISP's modem, then I don't think you can change the username, just the password.) Once you get in you need to find the "Wireless" settings and change the frequency to the lowest one possible, or just use 6. That should help extend the range some. It may not be a fix all, but it may help some of you. Refer to the last video for a little help on this.

It may help increase the speed, it may slow it down a hair. It many cases it will help some because all your neighbors might have the same router and there's a ton of interference on the channel your router is currently on. Hell, experiment with it and see if it helps. If it does, great. If not, oh well you tried.

Some helpful links:

https://www.metageek.com/training/re...ls-1-6-11.html

Last edited by willyworm; 04-16-2018 at 06:01 PM. Reason: additional info
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

WHY can I NOT see the vids? Black screen. Runnin IE-11
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

UPDATE-currently watching the Yardbirds vs LSU on my porch TV via ESPN app via Chromecast via my phone via Netgear range extender in HD with perfect streaming. PS Vue and Netflix also work flawlessly. Thanks Steelin and all.

Also, Cocks up 8-0. We need this series badly.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Every WiFi router or Wireless Access Point broadcasts out a RF signal. That RF signal is transmitted on a specific frequency called a "channel". There's like 20 of em. There is always a default channel it comes set to out the box. Vast majority of people never change it. The lower the channel, the lower the frequency. The lower the frequency, the better that RF signal will pass thru walls, metals, etc. This might help you get some more range. 5G wifi signals are cool because they support higher speeds, but they also broadcast on higher frequencies. Which is great for speed, but typically do not have the same range as a 2.4G connection set to a lower frequency. Chances are, your internet connection isn't fast enough to really to take advantage the benefits of the 5G connection over the 2.4G.

The owner's manual should show you how to log into your own modem/router. If you don't have the manual, just google the model number and you should be able to easily find the default username and password as well as the IP address you need to enter into your browser to get there (Pro tip- while you're in there, might as well go ahead and change that default info to keep others from getting in there too. and of course write it down somewhere because you'll forget it.) If your router is built in to your ISP's modem, then I don't think you can change the username, just the password.) Once you get in you need to find the "Wireless" settings and change the frequency to the lowest one possible, or just use 6. That should help extend the range some. It may not be a fix all, but it may help some of you. Refer to the last video for a little help on this.

It may help increase the speed, it may slow it down a hair. It many cases it will help some because all your neighbors might have the same router and there's a ton of interference on the channel your router is currently on. Hell, experiment with it and see if it helps. If it does, great. If not, oh well you tried.

Some helpful links:

https://www.metageek.com/training/re...ls-1-6-11.html

Just a quick note to let y'all know that I just made this change recommended by williworm to my Netgear router on the 2.4G side. I changed the channel selection from 'Auto' to Channel 6. I saw NO real change in the tested speed, but my phone was able to maintain a WiFi link that used to drop off right outside the back door and now goes at least another 20' to the garage side door.

I tested it at Channel 3, but the speed dropped by almost 25%.

If I decide to increase my network speed I'll test the lower channels and see if a range increase will allow me to forego adding extenders.

Thanks, williworm!
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

come on....admit it...the best part about it was that it was FREE, right?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Maybe we need to rethink shutting down the air force after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"