Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missssssssssssssssssssssssss

[quote]Originally posted by WoodieSC:

Picking a spot makes a lot of sense, but would it also be this low from a ground blind?
    NO!! A lot of people miss over the back when hunting from an elevated stand. Here's why...most of the time, an archer is tuned in to shooting a target at a pre-arranged distance where his sights are then set at. In other words, you get real comfortable knowing what 20 yards looks like. Well, from an elevated position, you may think that deer is 20 yards away, but the effect of gravity on your arrow is less than if you were on the ground. Hence, you shoot high. Now, with the modern compounds that shoot arrows as fast as they do, it makes less of a difference. With a recurve or similar (slow) bow, it makes ALL the difference.

So, if you practice at 20 yards, and shoot from a ground blind, you needn't worry!

Personally, when I shoot my compound, I don't think of distance. WHAT?!?! Yep. I think of "PIN." I have one pin that is set at 20 yards....but with the speed of the bow, it is dead on from 15-25 easy. SO, when a deer comes into range i don't judge the distance as a number, I only think of where i need to put that single pin on the deer to hit the "bulls-eye." If you shoot often enough, you really can visualize your arrow flight from 5 yards out to 100 if you want to. Then, all you do is decide where the deer is standing in your arrow flight.

i can't do this with the recurve....yet.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I think another reason people miss from elevated positions is incorrect body form. Not leaning forward or bending forward to make the shot. Anyone else agree?
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Originally posted by Candor:
    The geometry of the longer limbs (60” bow) makes it tough for me (lack of recurve experience) to adjust my back to make the shot.
    I would say I agree...
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

i shoot sitting down from most of my bow stands, but i practice standing up 90% of the time.

Therefore, I will practice shooting from a chair before going hunting.

With a modern compound and all the gadgets connected to it, you should be able to shoot from any position if you align the sights correctly. Body position and form is nice and all, but when it comes down to it, you just need to put the pin on the bulls-eye.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I agree with 2thdoc and labluver as to why people hit high out of a treestand. Woodie, I pick a spot that low on deer 5-8yds. from my tree becuse all of my stands are 20-30ft. high, it would not be neccesary from the ground. why I shoot high doesn't matter, knowing I do does. After missing alot of deer(many,many deer) I quit fighting it and just started aiming that low.
    \"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men.\" - MAURICE THOMPSON, The Witchery of Archery. 1878

Great points on missing from an elevation.

I missed 2 different deer @ 12 yards and @ 20 yards from about 30' up a tree (climber) the other night. You guessed it - both high over the back. Hope to make amends in about 2 hours or so.

Hunting a pretty little hardwood drain surrounded by old clear cut with 30+ White Oaks dropping real good, 3 big trails and 2 big scrapes. I am pumped.

Heck, I just look forward to having the opportunity to miss some. This next couple of weeks with the new moon I'll have to start getting out in the evenings.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

tradorion Coots

When me and the guy who started me bowhunting used to get to hunt most of the season to gether we started a little practice routine that makes a HUGE difference... i have used it with others and it really has made for a double digit string on first shot-first kill bowhunters...

put your hunting clothes on, get a quiver of arrows and set up a stand- one guy goes up and one guy moves the target (preferably a 3D deer)- shoot, evaluate the shot, move the target, shoot again- by the time you go hunting you have seen almost every shot possibility that can happen. Switch off as needed...

As for high low- don't know why either but I always hit high from an elevated stand and do the same "aim just under the chest" thing on real close shots...

With a trad bow (i teach alot at NWTF WITO events) people are always amazed when they go to make the first shot and you are helping line it up and they swear they will hit the ground below the target... but they don't...

Go figure- DAMN!! Woodie- if it was a 9mm Hi-Power i'd be game, but i am .40S&W poor right now!

T

Had one worse than a miss yesterday morning - a hit and couldn't find the deer. That's the first one I've lost with this bow, and I'm still sick about it. She was at 28 yards. I thought I had missed her high, but found my arrow and it had a little blood on it. I didn't start finding blood until I got to about 80 yards from where she was when I shot. Followed good blood for a long time. I really believe it was about a half mile, if not more. Then it stopped. Three of us looked for better than three hours.

Not a good way to start the season.