Thread: greenhorn

looking to buy my first bow.any advice on a good beginners bow.i am not gonna hunt wiyh it this year,but gonna chuck arrows in the back yard.help please.

Best thing you can do is go to a good pro shop and start from there. Don't go to BassPro. Tell folks where you at and they can point you in the direction of a good shop.

Best Advice - Get one that fits you and you are comfortable with. CORRECT drawlength, start at low pounds

2nd Best Advice - Don't get caught up in the speed trap, its just marketing hype

3rd Best Advice - Don't think you have to have a certain brand just cuz you see more of their commercials on t.v and they win more tournaments and shit

4th Best Advice - the 1st tip is the most important, a GOOD pro shop will not let you walk out the door with a bow unless it fits you.

Get your bow and practice like a motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    RY-you are a killer. plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Rebel Yell has killed more shit than small pox!
    Stripa Swipa > Ron Jeremy

I agree However if you are sure you want to do this be prepared to spend some money. Buy the best bow you can afford and add the better sights, rest, and oter gadgets later unless you just got good cash flow and want to do it all at once. I know I changed my mind on sights and rests a couple of times when I got started. If you want to come to Columbia to get fitted there is none better in SC than Owen and Tom Jeffery at Jeffery Archery. I can back up that last part if you need me to. Daniel
    Kill em all, let the dog sort em out!

I bought a new PSE bow many years ago from Hardware House. After firing a few shots it started making a LOUD cracking noise in one of the limbs. I took it back and they couldn't fix it. They sent it off to PSE (after a month but that is another story) and after another month the PSE people sent it back but it was still making the same noise! Before buying the PSE I had been to Jeffrey Archery in Columbia and looked at all their bows, shot a few, and decided that they were not fast enough for me.

At a loss, I hesitantly took my bow over to Jeffrey and asked if they would be willing to look it over for me. They could have easily said, nahh, you should have bought a Jeffrey have a nice day. They didn't. Owen had my bow fixed and working in about 20 minutes and then he took another hour teaching me how to shoot the damn thing. Total cost for repair? $0.00

I know that I could walk in there next week and they wouldn't know me from Adam but I would recieve the same treatment. We are lucky enough to have Jeffrey Archery in South Carolina so I suggest making the trip up and utilizing that resource. I have no idea what bows that they make or sell these days but rest assured that they will put you in a bow that will do everything you need it to do within your price range and then they will stand behind that rig for as long as you own it. Hell they stood behind mine and they didn't have a penny of my money in their pocket.

That is why I have always allowed Jeffrey Archery to be spammed here at SCDUCKS. I am still in their debt...

I'll second the props to Jeffrey. I went by today to get setup and Tom spent a solid hour with me shooting and getting my confidence right before I left. I was VERY impressed with their outfit and enjoyed talking with Owen while Tom was working on a few other customers ahead of me.

I walked in there with a old school 20 yrold Jeffrey compound that is as basic as it comes. Tom put a kisser button(no peep sight) and setup a 10 and 20 yard pin. After 3 shots, I was nailing the target like I have been shooting for years.

I practiced for 2 hours this afternoon and cant wait to hunt with it in the morning.

25 years of rifle hunting and I am ready for the change.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

tradorion Coots

Third the props to Jeffrey's-- fun to sit and visit and laways come out ahead there....

Also, a couple years back when i was going elk hunting i stopped to get a few "must have" items and realized that most of their prices were bass pro/cabela's competitive without the S&H costs AND i was giving the $$ to a local business...

I disagree with Yellerdog on "buy the most bow you can afford"... my reasoning is this- some folks don't get into archery like others do- if you are one of those guys and you spend big $$ and then don't like it you will get your feelings hurt at the poor re-sale/money loss on a bow.

I recommend buying a mid-range package (i am really impressed by the Parker Hunter Mag- been shooting one for years even though i could upgrade its plenty of bow for me)... so something like a Hunter Mag combo from Jeffreys and over time add high grade sights/rest/etc if you feel the need... then if you feel you need to in a couple three years buy that High Grade bow and be set for years to come.

Remember this- like ALLLLLL other hunting the gadgets/gear are tuned to the hunters wish/wallet. A 25yr old bow will kill deer as dead as a new Hoyt/Mathews. Fiber optic sights, super duper rests, yada yada, yada BULLSNOT. More deer are lost by gadget guys trusting the new wave gear to kill the deer for them rather than their skill with the basics.

A basic, QUIET, good fitting bow will kill deer all day long. The rest of the bullshit is just to impress your friends with. I personally prefer killing deer.

T

Does Jefferys sell used bows?

they have some on consignment, yes.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Thanks