Thread: Hey got a question about recurve?

I am looking for a good recurve bow dose any one know of a good place to find one or any suggestion on what type to get?

owen jeffery of jeffrys bow shop in columbia s.c. not sure of the number though, but he has some excellent bows and is extremely knowledgable about all aspects of the sport.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Hey thanks man i will check that out ! I am trying to find someone to show me what things to look for in a good recurve id like to start shooting one and maybe hunt with one too.

tradorion Coots

Phone is 803-776-3832

Tom handles set-up etc. Owen and a new kid are handling the building of the recurves these days.

While i love their bows (i own 4 take downs and want one more) and their price is good, i would recommend a couple of things-

go to www.bowsite.com and find the leatherwall section (or maybe you can google "leatherwall") OR go to www.tradgang.com and find you a good used recurve around 35#'s. You can get one for less than $100.

While you are looking for the bow find books by G. Fred Asbell, Byron Ferguson, and TJ Conrads (i prefer Ferguson and Conrads) these will give you an excellent early insight.

When you get your bow- go see Owen and Tom and let them help you get it set with 1/2dozen arrows (no more b/c you'll be upgrading as your poundage increases)... shoot for awhile and then trade the 35# bow for 45# then 50, 55, 60... as you think you need.

The biggest problem most people have with trad gear is over-bowing (too much weight) in the early phases when they are trying to learn good form. Owen will tell you he has done a whole lot of killin big critters with a 46# recurve.

While you are learning try out other bows and figure out what you want. Owen makes some sweet rigs but at the same time (for more $$) there are some other kick ass bows being turned out. Morrison is my latest love after a weekend around the Wensel Brothers- those things KICK ASS.

T

MDwannabe,

Congrats on the desire to take the plunge that will connect you with thousands of years of history. Trad covered a lot, so I'll just add a couple more thoughts. There isn't as much of a performance gap in cheap vs. expensive when you are looking at recurves as there is in the mechanical world. High prices are mostly due to cosmetics. You can get a 20 year old Fred Bear off of Ebay that is capable of great things. Your shooting form and choice of arrows are more important than the brand of your bow. I would prolly get a book that covers all aspects of traditional archery at first. Knowing a little about everything will give you a better start than knowing a lot about one thing (like "Instinctive Shooting" IMHO. I think T.J. Conrads has a new one out you might look into. Then, with that knowledge, go on a cheap bow hunt....ebay, tradgang.com etc etc. Start shooting, learning, loving etc then go buy a bow or bows that you will be happy with long term. Keep us posted on the progress.

P.S. Trad, I watched Primal Dreams last night. You were right, kind National Geographic like. I did love that guy carrying those two big bucks on his back through the snow, though. Barry whacked a few longbeards, too, that was kind of neat.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

hey guys thats the shit i was looking for, thanks alot for the help any knowledge is useful guys PS: the MD stands for maryland unfortunatly thats were im from but my heart and home are in the great state of South Carolina always!