Thread: Anybody got one of these?

I am going to see Mr. Jeffrey today to buy a Browning Barracuda. I spoke to him about it earlier this week, and he seems to think it is the best for the fishing I will be doing. I was going to convert my Hoyt, however I don't want to be changing it twice a week to go from the boat to the woods. I was wondering if anyone has this bow and what you like/dislike about it.
    "A wife that cooks and cleans the dishes deserves these three wishes... A grateful mate, a well kissed cheek, and a restaurant dinner at least once a week!" - Pabst Blue Ribbon

I don't have any personal exposure to the Barracuda, but it looks like it would be a good choice. #40 of pull is plenty for sticking fish.

I am like you in that I don't like having to switch out configurations on a bow. I have a PSE Coyote recurve for fish stickin', and nothin' else.

Where ya gonna be fish-stickin'?
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I scored an invite from the workday this past weekend from an experienced bowfisher. I am headed down to Charleston tonight! I am pumped!! Where do you go SR?
    "A wife that cooks and cleans the dishes deserves these three wishes... A grateful mate, a well kissed cheek, and a restaurant dinner at least once a week!" - Pabst Blue Ribbon

Most of my bow-fishin' doin's have been on Murray for carp and gar. I've messed around on Santee some as well.

Sounds like you are going to be saltwater fishing - that should be a blast! Always wanted to try my hand at it.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

"Aquaflage" huh? Interesting. Personally, I would not spend the money on a special bowfishing bow. I keep my old Browning compound set up for bowfishing. I think I paid about $50 for it at a pawn shop in high school when I started bowhunting (or, rather, acting like a bowhunter - I didn't get serious about it until college). I've owned other bows since that time that I have hunted with, but have kept that Browning set up with the reel and the heavy rest. I highly recommend a reel, as opposed to the bottle, by the way.

If you are going by Jeffery, look for the cheapest bow on the used/consignment rack that is close to the weight and draw length you need. Just my .02. Good luck with the fish this weekend. I have never done the saltwater thing, either, and would be interested to hear about what you get into.

Kirk - you have a good point. The only reason I was looking at the bow is that it comes with everything I will need. If I buy a less expensive bow, I am still going to have to drop 150 to 200 to get it set up right. Or so that is what I have seen so far. How much did it take you to get your old Browning set up?

Saltwater wreaks havoc on bows as I'm sure you know, wash it very quickly when done.
    "Vis pacem - para bellum" If you want peace be ready for the war.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

There is something to be said for easy. I didn't realize that Jeffery stocked those.

I don't remember exactly how much it cost to set mine up, and I have barely touched it in the last few years. I used the Zebco 888 reels (not the 808, which has more plastic parts), which I think we got at Sears for about $40. The main thing to remember with the reel, as opposed to the bottle, it to make sure the button is pressed on the reel. Otherwise something is going to break when you shoot and you will lose an arrow at the very least. After a while, you get in the habit of pushing the button every couple of minutes. The reel seats, short rods, and string came from Jeffery. I'm sure the arrow rest that I used came from Jeffery, too, along with arrows.

I used a couple of different rests with success. One had a roller, like this one by Muzzy:
    The other one had a spring, like this:
    You really just want something a little heavier that a standard stick on rest, but I think I would avoid anything complicated for fear the string would get wrapped around something. We also carried some cheap plastic stick-ons rests for spares, and I've shot plenty of fish off of those.

I haven't looked to see what kind of arrows Jeffery is carrying now. I always like the Stingarees, because you could take the fish off without setting your bow down. They did not penetrate as much as the Muzzys, and you had to push the Muzzys all the way through the fish and use two hands to get the fish off. I'm sure that there are more types now, but that was it 10-15 years ago.

That's all that I can think of offhand. Oh, I would also suggest a batting glove for your right hand, assuming that you are right handed. That way you don't have to worry about tabs for your fingers (really only a problem if you get into fish). Keep a knife handy, too - if you shoot all the way through a fish you usually have to cut the line and retie. Anyway, sorry for the dissertation, and good luck.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

No salt water
    You can grow up to be just like me....

I just bought one. It is sweet! Hopefully Bigballin can teach me a thing or two tonight! Kirk - thank you for the info man, I appreciate it!

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

I'm hoping Shawn is going with, he is THE MAN.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

In Camden now, I will be headed that way in a couple of hours. See ya'll there!

Give em hell BB & CG!!!
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?