Thread: Argentina Trip

Default Argentina Trip

I set this trip up back in 2017. I have spent a good amount of time in Argentina, probably 6 months when all added up, but I've never gone after anything other than dove, ducks, perdiz, and fish. I've heard stories of hunting stag during the roar, and decided to make it happen. I found a couple of previous clients of ours, and booked them to go with me to a lodge we were wanting to partner with if everything checked out. After spending a couple of days in BA, I took a quick flight to Santa Rosa, spent the night at a hotel there, and then we headed to the lodge about an hour away. The first afternoon we walked for what seemed like forever, and Eduardo (head guide, full time property manager) took me down stuff that I can only describe as tunnels through thick brush, trees, with thorns every where. The property is 12,500 acres, with a small high fence area with some of the 'record' stag (2,000 acres +/-) ... We were hunting the free range animals, and they were definitely spooky, but with it being peak rut, some of their guard was down. Since it's dry as a bone here, they have fire lanes cut throughout the property and are used for both hunting, controlling fires, and for roads. I don't know the exact sizes, but I'd guess the property is split into 'blocks' by the fire lanes approximately 2 miles in length. We did come across a silent stag with about 5 cows the first day, he was a shooter, but never presented us a shot and was constantly headed the opposite direction before going back into the thick stuff. Day 2 consisted of some close encounters, and walking for miles on end. We walked constantly for about 6 hours total. Day 3 happened quick. We parked the truck at a predominantly dry river bed, that had a couple of water holes. Immediately after leaving the truck we had 3 stags roaring close. We passed one opportunity as he was in thick brush and the wind was wrong, so Eduardo chose an animal and we took off. We are getting close and the stag roared at least 30 times while we were closing the distance, the stag was on the other side of the river bed, but I did not know exactly where. Eduardo put the sticks down, told me to put my gun on it, and to shoot ... I'm looking all over the place, mostly 100 yards out, and I can't find an animal anywhere ... After about 15 seconds, we hear a bark (think white tail blowing, but much louder), and the stag erupts and runs away about 40 yards in front of us, it was behind a small tree and I never saw it. We quickly run down and up the river banks, and Eduardo lets out a roar himself, the stag lets loose about 150 yards away, and we can see the horns going through the brush. He puts the sticks down, I put the gun up, and picked an opening. I put one where it needs to be and it drops there. We sprint to the animal and put one more in it's neck from about 5' away. I have my first animal, and it's a good one. I was told it's old, at least 10 years. The teeth are worn down and you can see the hip bones, but it still takes 3 grown men a while to pull him to the closest opening a truck can get too.

AR Stag Overhead.jpeg

AR Stag.jpeg

AR Stag Hanging.jpeg

We spent the rest of the day chasing water buffalo. We find a ton of cows, and one small bull, but nothing worth pursuing. The next day, we do the same in the morning, with a close encounter on a big bull, but one that was not big enough. After lunch and a nap, we head back out. While riding to the area we want to hunt, we spot a big bull in the largest fire break walking into the thick brush. We park about 150 yards away and run to the bush. Eduardo starts sprinting, and we find the buffalo about 40 yards away. I put a round from the .375 into it, just a little high, but good. The bull takes off, and we pursue, with Eduardo carrying a rifle as well in case it charges. We sprint, stop, Eduardo listens, and we sprint again. We get within 40 yards again, and I put a bullet right behind the shoulder. The bull staggers, and runs another 60 yards and stops. It's bleeding good now, and it collapses moments later. We again put one into the neck from a few feet away to finish it off. They estimate 8 +/- years old, and around 3,000 lbs ... By far the largest animal I have hunted and killed. It was a fun hunt with a lot of excitement. To get it out, axes and a chain saw were pulled out, and a road was cleared for the bobcat to come in and pick it up ... Took about 2 hours to get it from the bush.

AR Buffalo.jpeg

AR Buffalo 2.jpeg

With a couple of days left, I decided to go after a management stag. I had been battling a cold, lots of snot and everything else that comes along with it. After ruining a stalk on a great management due to a runny nose and holding in a cough for 45 minutes, we called the first morning with no animals. It was getting up to 90 degrees that day, and when Eduardo suggested we sit a blind by a waterhole, I didn't argue. The stalking hunts were the most fun I've ever had, but after miles of walking and the heat, I was fine with it. The stag poured into the water hole, I saw 75+ stag as well as some emus. At dusk/dark, a management showed up and Eduardo gave me the go ahead. One shot and he was likely dead before he hit the ground. Approximately 100 yards. He will look good at duck camp on the wall, and it was an enjoyable hunt getting to watch the animals socialize, chase, roar, and eat/drink.

AR Management.jpeg

I have one day left (today), and sleeping in was great. Some of the hunters will be going dove hunting, and I'll be there with a beer in hand as a spectator. I've killed and seen enough dove die in Argentina that I'm fine not pulling the trigger. A couple more days in Buenos Aires and I'll be home on Monday morning. It has by far, been the best big game hunt I've ever been on. I have an elk hunt lined up in September, and I hope it's every bit as enjoyable. I can say the only hunting I've ever done that I've liked more, is mallards in green timber ... This one was so much fun, I've already rebooked this exact week for 2020, so it will definitely not be my last trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't know how to flip pictures ... Ya'll can turn your phones.

Very cool! That is on the bucket list! Joe's stag is incredible in person. His story of the hunt and seeing the horns put that hunt at the top of my list!
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Awesome!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

That's awesome, thanks for sharing.

Very cool. Congrats

Cool trip! Congratulations!

I thought it was badass until you said shooting mallards in green timber was more fun.

Dayum, that looks fun.

Livin the dream

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowman View Post
    I thought it was badass until you said shooting mallards in green timber was more fun.
    That will always be #1 for me.