Thread: 3 fletch vs. 4 fletch

Default 3 fletch vs. 4 fletch

Anyone prefer a 4 fletch over the 3? Saw a good bit of conversation about it on another forum and wanted to see what the local consensus is.

Plan to use AAE max stealth vanes, once they arrive.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

The first Fletch was the best. Fletch Lives was okay for a sequel. I never saw 3 or 4.

Yes last year I shot tooth of the arrow broadheads. (Great broad head by the way). They are a Cnc machined slick trick that is one piece basically. I decided to switch to 4 fletching when I found out I could order them from carbon express preflectched like this. I have 4 blazer vanes on a 3 degree helical. This is what I found.

I lost about 5 feet per second in speed when adding it to the arrow. The arrow spins faster and stabilized quicker. I videotaped both in slow motion to get an idea but nothing scientific by no means. I did notice that I was more accurate with the 4 fletching vs the 3. I actually robin hooded two arrows at thirty yards by shooting a field point and then a broad head at the same spot.

All in all, I was very pleased with the switch and will stick with the 4 fletching with a 4 blade broadhead. The only thing I may do is try the mini blazers instead of the 2in. This is just my opinion on the matter but I know someone will come along soon and say how dumb of a idea it is. I will add that I am not old school and will try anything once. I am not set in my ways like some people. I also dont shoot 500 grain arrows. Mine sits at 420gr. With 4 fletchings.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 03-28-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Anyone prefer a 4 fletch over the 3? Saw a good bit of conversation about it on another forum and wanted to see what the local consensus is.

Plan to use AAE max stealth vanes, once they arrive.
    Its all about surface area. The amount required to stabilize a BH varies with the BH. Most can be stabilized with average 3 fletch. Bigger heads require a larger vane/feather in a helical.

4 fletch will do the job and just lets you shoot smaller feathers/canes and you increase surface area by adding the extra fletch.

It comes down to personal preference. I shoot three 5- 5 1/2 shield cut feathers left helical. A good friend shoots four 4 right helical pushing magnus stingers.

Play with em and see what works best and which you like.

Those are actually 6’5”, with the afro, 6’9”.
    "Pain, or damage don't end the world or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    The first Fletch was the best. Fletch Lives was okay for a sequel. I never saw 3 or 4.
    It's all ball bearings these day.... heyyy

Quote Originally Posted by ManvsDuck View Post
    Those are actually 6’5”, with the afro, 6’9”.
    Lulz

Does quikfletch make a 4 fletch?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Lulz
    I want to walk around with that sound track just playing in the back ground.

John Cocktoasten would approve.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    It’s all about surface area. The amount required to stabilize a BH varies with the BH. Most can be stabilized with average 3 fletch. Bigger heads require a larger vane/feather in a helical.

4 fletch will do the job and just lets you shoot smaller feathers/canes and you increase surface area by adding the extra fletch.

It comes down to personal preference. I shoot three 5”- 5 1/2” shield cut feathers left helical. A good friend shoots four 4” right helical pushing magnus stingers.

Play with em and see what works best and which you like.
    Do you have any issues with your broadheads loosening with the left helical twist?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Yes last year I shot tooth of the arrow broadheads. (Great broad head by the way). They are a Cnc machined slick trick that is one piece basically. I decided to switch to 4 fletching when I found out I could order them from carbon express preflectched like this. I have 4 blazer vanes on a 3 degree helical. This is what I found.

I lost about 5 feet per second in speed when adding it to the arrow. The arrow spins faster and stabilized quicker. I videotaped both in slow motion to get an idea but nothing scientific by no means. I did notice that I was more accurate with the 4 fletching vs the 3. I actually robin hooded two arrows at thirty yards by shooting a field point and then a broad head at the same spot.

All in all, I was very pleased with the switch and will stick with the 4 fletching with a 4 blade broadhead. The only thing I may do is try the mini blazers instead of the 2in. This is just my opinion on the matter but I know someone will come along soon and say how dumb of a idea it is. I will add that I am not old school and will try anything once. I am not set in my ways like some people. I also don’t shoot 500 grain arrows. Mine sits at 420gr. With 4 fletchings.
    Good deal. I might pick up a pack of mini blazers to try as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Does quikfletch make a 4 fletch?
    I don’t think so chris but I have a couple jugs. Bring me the arrows and the fletchings and I’ll fletch them anyway you want.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Do you have any issues with your broadheads loosening with the left helical twist?
    I dont. But I monkey fist em on there pretty tight.

I shoot 4 Fletch RH Feathers, I have yet to find a head that they wont stabilize. Youll love it if you go to 4 fletch.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Old thread but I shoot blazers, 3 total, with as much helical as the jig will allow. That will stabilize any and every big broadhead I have attempted to shoot. 4 vanes IMO will just slow things down. If a bow is tuned and your arrow set up with decent FOC then it should shoot without the need for extra drag on the tail.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Old thread but I shoot blazers, 3 total, with as much helical as the jig will allow. That will stabilize any and every big broadhead I have attempted to shoot. 4 vanes IMO will just slow things down. If a bow is tuned and your arrow set up with decent FOC then it should shoot without the need for extra drag on the tail.
    Not as much as you may think. I lost 3 FPS by adding the 4th fletch. I wouldn’t use them if I was using a three blade broadhead but they defiantly maybe 4 blades fly better.

My thoughts are that if you can't get good arrow flight with 3 I think it's other problems. The helical in 3 is more than enough forgiveness for my shooting skills, or lack of.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I use 3 blazers with a right helical as well. Tuning is your friend. 3 will be sufficient to stabilize any fixed blade broadhead you want to shoot IF your rig is properly tuned. You should have your BHs and FPs impacting the same place. Broadhead tuning can get aggravating at times but the juice is well worth the squeeze knowing your POI is where it needs to be no matter what you screw on the end of your arrow.