Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Wild Edibles...who else?

These aren’t particularly wild but here’s to the weekend!

Whaaa? Where the heck are there shroom dispensaries? I know they have decriminalized them in Colorado, but I didn't think anyone was allowed to openly, legally sell the stuff. What a trip!
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Found several hundred cinnibar chanterelles yesterday evening. Honestly probably over 1000 but most are too small still. Never seen a flush like this.

Grabbed a bunch and saved the rest for later.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Morels, I won't tell a soul, but chanterelles are a lot more abundant so I don't mind sharing spots. These cinnabar ones are so easy to spot as well with that bright coloring.

If anyone wants to tag along and try some wild, non trippy, shrooms, I'll be going back to this spot on Friday evening or Saturday sometime. Laurens County.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    Morels, I won't tell a soul, but chanterelles are a lot more abundant so I don't mind sharing spots. These cinnabar ones are so easy to spot as well with that bright coloring.

If anyone wants to tag along and try some wild, non trippy, shrooms, I'll be going back to this spot on Friday evening or Saturday sometime. Laurens County.
    Good on you JD...I'm of the same mindset just throw in hen of the woods as shrooms I'm not going to tell anyone about location-wise. Those are some damn beautiful chants!

This same spot is the biggest flush of cinnabar chanterelles I've ever seen. Picked another bag full and cooked them with some venison.

Last edited by JimmyD714; 07-01-2023 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    Found several hundred cinnibar chanterelles yesterday evening. Honestly probably over 1000 but most are too small still. Never seen a flush like this.

Grabbed a bunch and saved the rest for later.

Good haul!

Jimmy. Are those cinnabars more firm-fleshed than the average chanty? They look like they’d be more firm. Beautiful regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    Jimmy. Are those cinnabars more firm-fleshed than the average chanty? They look like they’d be more firm. Beautiful regardless.
    I think they're about the same. But I do like these more. They're small enough that I don't need to slice them before cooking and I think they taste better.

Plus they grow in enormous flushes where I've been finding these. So it's pretty quick to get a big haul.

Haven't you said your turkey spots happen to be the same spots conducive to mushroom foraging? Hell, I can always use a few more spots. PM sent

JimmyD. I'll be flying into SC on August 8th and bringing my boys to visit with my parents for a week. I think I'm going to bring the bow I have listed in the TP for one of our members from Spartanburg to test drive, so I might be getting up to the upstate one afternoon while I'm there. Please drop an update on here on or around August 8th and let me know if those cinnabars are still popping. If you don't mind, and if you have plenty, and if I do get up to the upstate one afternoon...I might hook up with you and grab a sack-full.

Last time I checked about a week ago they were all dried up with no new growth. It's been super hot and no rain. Hopefully we'll get a downpour about a week before you get here and we can get together to go grab some. Billbuster84 is interested too. I was gonna take him but timing didn't line up.

Sounds like a plan. Presshate it.

I need some of those.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Haven't you said your turkey spots happen to be the same spots conducive to mushroom foraging? Hell, I can always use a few more spots. PM sent
    Haha yes I did say that I killed a turkey in the same creek bottom where I found a lot of large morels this Spring...and that's one of many reasons I ain't taking a soul except my wife and daughters to my morel spots!!

Chanterelles are a different story. They're easier to find and more plentiful than morels and I haven't (yet) killed a turkey near one of my good chanterelle spots.

It's been super hot and super dry in the upstate so I doubt much is popping. When it gets like that you could wind up walking for 2-3 hours before you find enough chanterelles to be worth cooking. Typically you'll find one or two at a time.

Maybe on a cloudy, windy day I'll do it so it's not so miserably hot and the wind keeps the bugs away.

Found this today at our club. Cauliflower mushroom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found this today. Cauliflower mushroom?

Damn...not sure about that one. I have never seen one in person, but it may be. Cool looking fungi.

How long after Chanterelles bloom are they good to pick? The patches I've seen seem that they have "peaked" and start getting holes in the caps.