Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Edibles...who else?

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by swampshooter View Post
    I've always wanted to gather some mushrooms but have always been scared to make a mistake. What's the best book to start being able to ID them.
    If you are serious about doing it I'm sure there are some guided fields trips you can go on. These usually have a mycologist or local expert guiding people and explaining what's good and whats not good. I think Clemson sponsors a couple every years and all the colleges probably do the same. There are also local mycology clubs in a lot of areas. They can also tell you the best book to get for your area.

North American Mushroom Clubs

CLUBS - North American Mycological Association

Just google mycology or mushroom clubs.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    What are these?
    Those are morels. If you don't want then put them on ice and ship them to me. I'll pay the postage as long as you don't add bricks to the package.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    and has bad cholesterol lowering, mild anticoagulant effects and other mysterious heart benefits.
    Have you ever looked into the Doctrine of Signatures? It's one of the things the NDNs used a lot.

Basically it the theory that when a plant looks like a human organ it's good for that organ.

Just a few off the top of my head:

• Strawberry - named Heart Berry by the NDNs because they are shaped like a heart hence they were good medicine for the heart.

• Milkweed - when you scratch it or pluck a leaf the sap looks just like milk, hence women rubbed it on their sore breasts when they were pregnant.

• Gensing - NDNs called it Manroot because a mature root looks like a man. This one is proof that the Doctrine of Signatures was used all over the planet because the Chinese, Japanese and other people around the globe also called it "Manroot."

It's interesting stuff. I think the Greeks also used it and wrote books or charts on it.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 04-02-2018 at 11:59 AM.

So...mushrooms are good for a limp dick?
    DILLIGAF

Can you 'splain pussy willow then.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    What are these?Attachment 34854
    How bout tell me where this is, so I can get a closer look for you to be certain!

I've got a field with plenty of fresh Chocolate Truffles if anyone is interested.
    All you can gather for Free. I'll even provide the bags.

Baahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Dood...that was just wrong.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Are these safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Are these safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think I might need a sample to um...spore print...and Ill let you know.

Here's a few from this am. The pigs didn't get them all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice...what state? Looks like we might be having some pop here in ~5-7 days...

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    Nice...what state? Looks like we might be having some pop here in ~5-7 days...
    Found them in McCormick, SC. They had been up a while. I have friends that found some west of you in Shelby County, IL this week.

How about syrup made from the common violet. You can make jelly out of them too. Or just eat the whole plant in a salad.

Here's a step-by-step, with pictures, on make the syrup.

DIY Violet Syrup

I thought this was going to be a thread about Gummies and such..

I made dandelion wine last year.
    Hunting outside the box

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    I made dandelion wine last year.
    Cool. How did it turn out?

I've eaten dandelion jelly and eaten a ton of raw dandelions and greenbrier (Smilax) tendrils when I was trout fishing and turkey hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    You ever try fiddleheads?
    The ostrich fern that true fiddleheads come from might grow in upstate SC and the mountains. According to the site below they grow in USDA Zones 3-7. Certain parts of Laurens on up fall in that zone. (SC USDA Zone Map)

This is what you are looking for when hunting fiddleheads:

On the cutting board:

Which Fiddlehead Ferns Are Edible?

Mergie, I've picked fiddleheads and morels on one of my spots and I cannot bring myself to eat them. I'm scared I'm going to die or something.
    Hunting outside the box