Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Edibles...who else?

I ate a bunch of mushrooms in high school but I'm not much on eating them any more.

I have never found any, but I want to try some.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I found a place last year that was a carpet of chanterelles as far as you could see.

That’s gold right there!

I see some cool shrooms when in the woods and wish I knew more about properly
    identifying the edibles.

I"ll still have access to it. I'll get some pictures. I took some last year, but apparently they didn't make it into the backup files.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    In SC? What elevation do you need to get to to find fiddleheads?
    Fiddleheads are the young, sprouts of any fern so there is some species of fern found at just about every elevation. Things that are edible aren't necessarily "good"...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Spring sorrells are very tastey wild edibles...

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    Hell yes Tater. That is a sweet sack of Chants.

Anyone on here know how to prepare the Morels worth a darn. I tried sautéing them and they cooked down to nearly nothing...then I tried frying them using milk/egg>>dredge in flour breading technique, and I really enjoyed the fried batter. Thinking I need to go with a dry flour dredge and light fry, but I’d like a good, precise recipe before I screw up the few I’m going to find in a week or so.
    Use them for a sauce, over a seared deer tenderloin.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Those are some nice chickens. Congrats. I mostly harvest morels and chanterelles. I've found some chicken-of-the-woods and hen-of-the-woods in north Georgia. I tend to find more morels from around Laurens County and up toward Ware Shoals. Slaya and I found a few small ones up that way. I'm sure there are morels around here closer I just haven't found them. I've only found 2 fresh lion's manes and I consider that a blessing. Those things were awesome. They have a hint of seafood and with the texture it's like eating scallops. I have a friend in Arkansas that found a huge one on a river birch near a swamp. He sent me the picture of it that afternoon wanting to know what it was. I convinced him to back and get it and fry it up. Now he hunts the darn things specifically. That's a mistake cause that's when you never see one.
    The other good thing about the lion's mane is there are no dangerous look-alikes so if you find anything in the Hericium family you can eat it.

Other than that strawberries, poke salad, blackberries, dewberries and lowbush blueberries (wild) are mostly it. I do use wild onions for flavor in my poke salad, it takes about ¼ of what you'd use in domestic onions.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Yup...you can tell by my list that I go for the “no real look alike” varieties. I am a bachelor this week, and despite this never ending %*%#*#^* mother-^%^**%* weather, I hit the woods looking for anything today. I found some wood’s ear...a jelly shroom. Supposedly has no poisonous look alikes, and has bad cholesterol lowering, mild anticoagulant effects and other mysterious heart benefits. They are often present in Asian soups. They look like some huge pre-historic creature sneezed and blew brown snot lugies on a dead tree...but I’m going to give em a go. I’ll post pics when I get home...having a big fat bachelor NY Strip and ~60 oz of ice cold draft coors lite at the steakhouse at this time!

Merg...I’m freaking hooked on this sh!t, and Lion’s Mane is a must this year!

Yeah I kinda stick to the easy ones too. If I have to do spore prints and such I don't fool with it. But the easy ones like puffballs and those I've mentioned in the other post I'll collect and eat in a heartbeat. I've never tried the jelly fungus. I've found witches butter and woods ear several times but it doesn't look inviting to me. If it's good let me know and I may try it.

This guy has a great site and he breaks down the IDing, tasting and smells down real good. I've been using it for a reference for several years.

Mushroom Expert

Now he doesn't tell you about edibility or toxicity but he does show how to positively ID. There are several mycology forums out there focused on eating or photographing shrooms.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 03-30-2018 at 06:02 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Morels and turkey season go hand in hand.

Im not so enthused about eating these, but I'm going to give them a shot in some hot and sour soup. If you never hear from me again, don't eat stuff that looks like this!

Food for life

What are these?image.jpg
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Look like morels to me

I've always wanted to gather some mushrooms but have always been scared to make a mistake. What's the best book to start being able to ID them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    What are these?image.jpg
    Awesome!