Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Edibles...who else?

I found a bunch of them at the farm Saturday. I don't care much for mushrooms though. I'll eat a few shitakes but that's about it.

I love mushrooms but I'm just not bold enough...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Chanterelles have sure been popping up everywhere.

I’m just about tired of eating them, I need to walk some woods for some new species!
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I picked a bunch of Chanterelles last week. They were plentiful in the mature hardwoods.

I plan to pick again this weekend.

Got about a half bushel of chanterelles Friday. They are delicious.

IMG_0880.jpg

I'm guessing hen of the woods/maitake? Never done any wild mushrooms but have a couple of these growing around my yard. Usually one at the base of a white oak about 15 feet from my front door but I haven't seen it this year. Looks like it might be starting now though. The one pictured is at the base of my new fig bush I planted last year. I planted it where I had a huge white oak stump ground about 9 years ago. This is the first year I have seen one here but it grew out about 3-4 months ago and I didn't mess with it and it dried out and disappeared. I just noticed it again today and thought it might go well with some fresh dove breasts and an nice red wine and beef stock reduction with some onions and garlic.....what say the experts?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Timber View Post
    IMG_0880.jpg

I'm guessing hen of the woods/maitake? Never done any wild mushrooms but have a couple of these growing around my yard. Usually one at the base of a white oak about 15 feet from my front door but I haven't seen it this year. Looks like it might be starting now though. The one pictured is at the base of my new fig bush I planted last year. I planted it where I had a huge white oak stump ground about 9 years ago. This is the first year I have seen one here but it grew out about 3-4 months ago and I didn't mess with it and it dried out and disappeared. I just noticed it again today and thought it might go well with some fresh dove breasts and an nice red wine and beef stock reduction with some onions and garlic.....what say the experts?
    Im not sure about that... I am no expert but have picked a few in the wild when I am certain of species. I am sure someone else will come along and provide input.

https://www.fs.fed.us/nrs/pubs/gtr/gtr_nrs79.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Big Timber View Post
    IMG_0880.jpg

If it is a cluster of "leaflets" growing at the base of an oak tree...let it grow as long as its growing significantly, pick it as soon as it even looks like it's slowing down or getting any mold on it, cut it as close to the ground as possible, and just start pulling it apart in a sink getting the bugs, dirt and sticks out of it. Don't let any of that freak you out. Bugs will live all in the nooks and cranies of them...just pick it as clean as you can and wash it. Do not throw any of it out...even the stalk/stems are fantastic. I had a tree in my front yard in Indiana that blew up every fall, and it was fantastic. Sautee them in butter or olive oil with a little salt and pepper...cook with them...whatever...they are absolutely choice. If you have so much you can't cook em and eat them all fairly quickly, steam them in a rice steamer and put them in zip-loc bags submerged in the juice from the steamer and freeze them. When ready to eat, just thaw and add them to whatever you are cooking or sautee in butter till hot. I really, really miss Hen season. On that one in the pic, shoot a pic from farther away so I can see the whole shebang...it looks like a hen and there are no cluster shroom look-alikes for them. Go ahead and pick the sticks and leaves and anything else you can out of it now, because as it grows, its just going to engulf all that and be more of a hassle to clean up later.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I let these get too big when I was out of town...they were too moldy and had become tough.

I let these get too big when I was out of town...they were too moldy and had become tough.

This one was perfect and produced this...

This one was perfect and produced something like this...

Finally can scratch this off the “to find and consume” list. I had a free afternoon up in NoDak and went down to see what was growing along the creek that runs through town. Just ordered a burger from the steakhouse to take home and have with this pile of asparagus. I know it’s the same stuff you grow in your garden, but something about having to play in knee-high grass and picking up a dozen ticks while picking the wild stuff is certainly going to make this just a little better than what I can buy in the grocery store.

https://imgur.com/a/Kx8sDKf;

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    I love Edibles! Oh and ramps will make you stink for 3 days but are delicious stuffed in a trout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ramps reek. Mouthwash doesn’t blunt that odor one bit. I’ve eaten em just out of self defense. If you’re the only one around not eating them its like following unwiped ass every where you turn.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    Finally can scratch this off the “to find and consume” list. I had a free afternoon up in NoDak and went down to see what was growing along the creek that runs through town. Just ordered a burger from the steakhouse to take home and have with this pile of asparagus. I know it’s the same stuff you grow in your garden, but something about having to play in knee-high grass and picking up a dozen ticks while picking the wild stuff is certainly going to make this just a little better than what I can buy in the grocery store.

https://imgur.com/a/Kx8sDKf;
    Ticks in Nodak? I thought out that way was basically tick free. I know MN and WI are horrifically bad but thought the Dakotas and West of there had very few.

I do a lot of foraging but have never found wild asparagus. That doesn't grow down here, I don't think. But when I lived in MN for 3 years I started trying to find Spring edibles. Never had any luck except raspberries in the Summer.

Here I forage for wild mushrooms, fruits and berries, even some greens. Year round. I've learned a lot about it the last couple years and have a lot of success with it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JimmyD714; 05-25-2023 at 08:18 PM.

That hen of the woods has me hungry
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I'm anxiously awaiting for the chanterelles to start popping up. With the massive rainfall we're about to get this weekend, hopefully the heat after it gets them started by the first full week of June

I didn’t give ticks a thought, as I’ve never encountered a tick since moving to Wyoming. I figured NoDak would be the same. Wrong! I got absolutely bombarded, and dug the last one (I hope) out of my scalp at about 10pm last night. The asparagus was super tender and delicious, and I ate most of it raw, but I won’t be going back for more. Worst tick infestation I’ve ever had, and it happened walking in knee high grass for just a few minutes.

Worst ticks I ever saw were in central Virginia, morel season. Dozens crawling up past the belt line within a ~700 yard walk from a ridge to the river bottom. One week later I had my first bout with Lyme disease. No mushrooms on that particular walk.

So, having read that smilax tips are edible, I gave it a go. You find a growing vine, and take the tender tip, about 12 inches. Saute or steam lightly. Like asparagus, only better. This is the time to find them, and you can get a good mess in about 45 minutes if you are looking in the right type of environment. Hedge rows. Field edges.
    Last edited by GMAC; 06-03-2023 at 08:06 PM.