Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scalping Bermuda

Default Scalping Bermuda

Any of you ever scalp your bermuda/zoysia this time of the year? I've read benefits of it, but what say ye?
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

What's a benefit? I've done lots of it, but not this time of year. Its generally done just before fall overseeding.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

dethatch, scalp and bag before overseeding. Only purpose is to get the seed to the dirt.

Everywhere I have read says to do it this time of the year. Sounds like the main benefit is allowing the new growth to get some extra sun/warm starting the season. I may just cut it a little lower soon to get some of the old dormant stuff out of the way.

Best thing you can do for that is to dethatch.

10-4

Carolina, i've been doing a lot of reading over at around the yard forum, and apparently there's a "bermuda bible" written by former sod farmer with the screen name of txsweed or such. everyone on that forum talks about scalping to get more sun and warm up soil temps to kick it into growing. another benefit they claim is that scalping also helps with weeds. i'm going to try it this week as well.

Bermuda is a weed, just act like you don't want it and it will fucking takeover.

I will start scalping all my Bermuda/zoysia yards in about two weeks here in the Greenville area

Burn it

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Bermuda is a weed, just act like you don't want it and it will fucking takeover.
    Yep and the Horse People pay BIG bucks for the hay.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Best thing you can do for that is to dethatch.
    Don't do that now unless you want cores and holes in your yard for 3 months.

Scalping now won't do any good for getting your grass growing quicker if the goal is increased temperature/sunlight. You might see the green growth sooner since the old blades are gone I guess. Keeping weeds cut before they make it to seed can be beneficial too. I ran a research trial in grad school using different dark green pigments on dormant grass to see if the darker color would heat up soil temperatures and get the grass growing out of shoe spike/ball mark damage quicker, but they had no affect on green-up. Air temps and in turn, soil temps are the only thing that will get your grass growing again.

Don't overthink it, it's Bermuda. Get it on a good fertilization/weed control program and cut it twice a week.

If you have thatch, rent a dethacher. Clean up the thatch, hit it with a pre-emergent and whatever other pesticide application you need, and fertilize it. If you use pre-emergent, you better get on it soon. Time's a tickin. This scalping you speak of is not ideal for the plant, and with the cool weather we're having you are opening yourself up to a host of problems.
    Last edited by Hosscat; 03-27-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Twice a week? That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    Twice a week? That sucks.
    That's bermuda my man. Once the 419 greens up at the farm we have a man mowing that never gets off the tractor.......

You can let it get up higher, but cutting it often promotes good health (if the blades are sharp) as well as rhizome, stolon, and root growth resulting in a good tight weave and full look.

Y'all are talking Japanese to me..

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowman View Post
    Y'all are talking Japanese to me..
    This is a discussion about glass, which may translate to you as "grass", given your country of origin...

As much as I hate Bermuda, I have roughstalk Blue grass taking over my back yard of Bermuda. Can't kill the shit.