Thread: Cedar arrows?

What's the difference between how a cedar arrow acts/flies vs. an aluminum?

I've read posts where some of you like shooting cedar arrows with your recurves/longbows.

Is it a matter of being a traditionalist or performance?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Cedar is traditional and can shoot surprizingly well, but there are some drawbacks such as inconsistent spine. From a safety standpoint, a cedar arrow with a small fracture can have a catastrophic failure during the next shot. Although rare, it does happen.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

That makes sense. I can understand how an arrow failure can be a big problem with a compound bow. Is it as big a safety issue with recurves?
    ~ George Washington

I used cedar for a while. They are pretty brittle and light. With sharp heads and good shot placement, they definitely got the job done. After looking for a more durable and heavier wood arrow, I've committed to ash for a while. There are several good woods for shafts. All have different characteristics. You have to decide which characteristics are most important to you and live with the drawbacks. Aluminum is superior in every way, but not necessary to get the job done....if that makes sense. Woodie, I think you're probably realizing by now that there aren't many hard and fast rules in the traditional archery world. It's the land of opinions, preferences, and more fun!
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

How about Ramin wood arrows? What might be some of the pros and cons on a hardwood arrow like this as compared to others? I came across some ads for them on Ebay while doing some cruisin' last night.

Stripa, it's always fun to read the opinions mixed with facts. I know I'm full of opinions.
    ~ George Washington

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Never heard of Ramin arrows. If you decide to make some cedar arrows, make sure that you dip the shafts a couple of times to seal the wood. If you don't they will warp on you in short order. I used to make my own cedar arrows complete with hand cresting. I sure did hate it when I would break an arrow that I spent so much time making. I prefer Carbon Express arrows now. The older I get, the more that I enjoy the trouble free stuff.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.