Thread: Played eyeball tag this morning...

It was a little after 7 this morning and everything was quiet. I took a glance down at my watch to double check the time and when I looked back up there was a doe standing in my target area - 14 yds out - just staring at me. I couldn't figure out how she even saw me behind the bushes. Heck, my eyeballs were barely showing through, but we played eyeball tag for almost 20 minutes.

She stayed quartered towards me the whole time so I didn't even think about shooting, even though I had decided I would take a doe because they need to be thinned out in that area. As she finally started walking away to my right I almost let one fly but didn't have a clean shot. She proceeded to circle around me and grunting on and off. She finally left for about 15 minutes but showed up in the bushes about 40 yds away - twice.

It wasn't until my partner showed up an hour later that I found out a fawn had been playing around by him and apparently the doe had been looking for it. I was glad then that I didn't get a clean shot. I would have felt pretty bad leaving a fawn on it's own.

Then we headed downstream about 1/2 mile and played more eyeball tag with a nice buck as he was bedding down. He ended up only having 4 points, but the size of his rack indicated that he'll be nicer next year. And yes, he outsmarted us as we attempted to position ourselves around him.

It's been a couple of years since I had hunted deer, but I'm hooked again.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Great stuff...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Super Woodie!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

[img]graemlins/thumb2.gif[/img]
    More fuel = more boost!!

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Fun ain't it? Taking the shot is almost anti-climactic
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

woodie--don't get it stuck in your mind that you don't want to shoot a doe with a fawn nearby. Sometimes it tough, but the fawn will be better off leaving mommy around 6 months of age, anyway.

I know Cut'Em got some info on this at his meeting at UGa, but in a nutshell, a mommy will run off her male fawn first chance she gets. Its better to go ahead and shoot her before she runs a buck off your property.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Like one of my "mentors" told me once: "A soft hearted hunter doesn't kill many deer." If the fawn doesn't have spots then he/she is not a factor in shooting the mother.

Glad you had a good hunt [img]graemlins/thumb2.gif[/img]
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

2thDoc, Candor,

According to my buddy the fawn did still have spots, but he couldn't tell if it was a doe or buck.

Thanks for the insight though. I'll try to hide my soft spot.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I remember reading a report from Larry Marchinton from UGa. a number of years ago. He said that orphaned buck fawns had a survival rate several times (I don't remember the # but I think it was 3)higher than those run off by their dams later. They also did not leave their home area as much either.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.