Thread: Season limits for archery

I hunt a lot in Saluda County. I noticed the other day that in Game Zone 2 there is a season limit of three deer for archery, but you can kill 10 with a rifle. What kind of sense does this make? Fairfield (GZ 4) is the same way. What possible reason could they have for setting those limits?

Does that mean that I can kill three with a bow and then ten more with a rifle? (not that I would have much interest in that) I guess I could then go to Richland County, where there is no limit?

How would they monitor that, anyway? I guess it would have to be on the honor system, as there are no more check stations. Not a problem for me , but I worry about those out there who may not have the same high moral standards . Some people might feel inclined to shoot more than three knowing that there is no way in hell that limit could ever be enforced.

I reckon we are on the honor system. Even in the day of check stations, there were many a deer that never paid visit to one.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Do they have a separate bow season? If so the limit of three probably just pertains to that season.

I would ask.....because if you can hunt with a bow during gun season, you probably can kill 10 more during that season......giving you 13 for the total season.

Lab, you're right about the old check stations. I knew a lot of folks that never visited one. I myself was probably guilty of that once or twice after finding a deer late.

Catdaddy, you are probably right. I had not read it that way, but it makes a lot more sense. This is how it is written in the regs:
    Deer: Archery on Private Land
    Limit: 2 per day, 3 deer total
    either sex Sept. 15-30
    And then it also allows either sex to be taken with a bow during all deer seasons. I think I'll go with your interpretation of the rule. Although I don't know what I would do with 13 deer - 4 or 5 is usually plenty.

Originally posted by Kirk:
    I don't know what I would do with 13 deer - 4 or 5 is usually plenty.
    damnit, Kirk. You know exactly what you would do with those extra deer. You would use a Buckmasters processor and have the deer donated through Project Venison to Harvest Hope Food Bank. Aren't you paying attention?!?!

Speaking of, when is KG gonna post the list of processors so these scduck yahoos can finally do something worthwhile!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

That's what I meant to say! [img]graemlins/withstupid.gif[/img]

I imagine Kevin has been a little busy lately with the new arrival in the family. I'll email Ben and see if he has the list and I'll post it.

tradorion Coots

Kirk- your interpretation following whoever's suggestion is correct... 13 deer, 3 in archery 10 in other seasons and the bow can be used in all "higher" seasons to harvest either sex animals...

Good luck with your efforts at venison collection for the poor!!

T

Trad, thanks for the reply. It's good to have an answer from a reliable source.

Also, I was out in Colorado the week after you but never got back to you when I returned. We were cursed with some bad weather - out of the six days we were supposed to hunt we had three of rain and one snow day. Our host says he has not ever seen a stretch of weather like that in September. The last day we hunted was Friday, the weather was great, and the bulls were really fired up. Everybody I was with had them pretty close and responding to calls. Nobody in our party was able to connect, but that last day made it all worth the trip. Hopefully I'll be going the same time next year. I still can't get the bugling out of my head.

tradorion Coots

Kirk- I know what you mean- we had the 2nd Tuesday of our trip as a "magic day"- there were 9 bulls bugling on our one ridge and we were unable to close the deal... but MAN OH MAN!!! 9 bulls screaming in one morning made 2 years of packing in WELL worth it- looking forward to next year!

R