Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Garden Thread

Spent as few hours saturday hoing corn, standing up the leaners. So far so good.

Slopped around in ankle deep mud yesterday eve through 3 rain showers but got 23 tomato cages up and staked along with two trailer loads of hay spread around plants and the patch. Thinned okra out to a plant about every 3-4" and will probably thin again a little later. Had to nudge a few corn stalks back upright but mostly ok there. Still mighty wet but plan to hoe a little this weekend if possible.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Pulled yesterday and today.

G

Did you mulch over the ankle deep mud?

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Strong thunderstorm rolled through this afternoon. Wind was so strong it pulled some of my green bean plants clear out of the ground. Tried to put some of them back in the ground, if they don't take I'll re-plant this weekend.

Saw a few squash bugs yesterday morning, sprayed all my squash and cucumbers with some liquid 7 yesterday afternoon. Saw a few around them today but not as many. Anybody got something that's a sure knock out for them?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSprig View Post
    Did you mulch over the ankle deep mud?
    Not mulch. Put the hay out to keep the weeds down. Spent 4 hours or so this morning hoeing and got things looking pretty good. Dried a good bit today too and figured to run the tiller tomorrow then follow up with the hiller bedder on the corn. Finally got the grass cut, been out there all day since 8 this morning. Well a nice big gully washer blew up ( reckon the same papagood mentions) and dumped about 2" of rain in 30 minutes or so while me and knucklehead took shelter in the barn. Wind was bad, broke over a willow tree on the pond and blew pretty much everything in the garden over sideways. That nice hoeing job turned into a mess. Used every cuss word I could think of for a while. Crap.

Nice tomatoes Johnson, congrats. Greenheadrocker, I mash every squash bug I see and it seems to help slow them up some beyond just using the seven.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Hay or wheat straw? Won't hay have a lot of seed in it?

Wheat straw works great.... If you put down Bermuda straw, good luck!

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I use both and prefer Bermuda. Starts as chicken bedding then goes to the garden as mulch.
    Corn grows fast and tall enough to shade out weeds after hoeing a time or two. Everything else gets mulched.
    Weeds are only a problem if you're lazy.

My grass clippings make my stuff go and keep the weeds out. Course I got a lot of grass and garden
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    I use both and prefer Bermuda. Starts as chicken bedding then goes to the garden as mulch.
    Corn grows fast and tall enough to shade out weeds after hoeing a time or two. Everything else gets mulched.
    Weeds are only a problem if you're lazy.
    Or if it rains for 3 straight weeks and you can’t even get in your garden

Yeah that's the advantage to living on this sand hill.

Edit: the only advantage.
    Last edited by CurLee; 06-02-2018 at 11:03 AM.

I would not even consider putting Bermuda straw in my garden down here... We have enough problems with Bermuda grass growing in places we don't want it without putting it in my garden!

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

IMG_20180603_144946279.jpg

Any ideas? Spray w fungicide regularly, have a few plants that seem to be dying rather quick. Almost as if they got hit w herbicide? Dying doesn't seem to necessarily start at bottom but does seem to move in one direction spreading across the plant. Probably 10/30 doing this.
    Last edited by trash2; 06-03-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Have you or even a neighbor sprayed an herbicide anywhere near them lately?

That's what I'm thinking may have happened but no way to confirm. Just a bit perplexed but guessing it was unintended herbicide

Fescue hay, leftover round bales and bits from last years feed stations in the pasture. If there is seed it ain't much. Wasn't slopping mud everywhere, just low spots.

Garden not as bad as I cried about Friday eve but it sure looked it. It took some doing but got all the corn stood back up and beans, okra, squash etc. sorta self righted with a good day of sunshine. Still gonna run the tiller and hiller bedder this week if the rain holds off. Much better but still a bit wet in places.

T2, you sure you didn't burn them up with an overdose of fertilizer or such?
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 06-03-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Could be a bacterial wilt (I think that's a real thing)? Fungicide wouldn't help there. Hopefully overspray with herbicide though. I'd yank it and hope it doesn't hit your others in case it's not herbicide.

Before the storm. Has jumped a bit more the last couple days.