Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Garden Thread

I really just got finished, I mean it's really new. I haven't strung to top chicken wire yet.. I'm just thinking it'll be enough to hold the critters back for a couple days. I did buy an old ass screen door. It was thirty bucks at a "antique" shop.. it was better than me attempting to build another. I've got to build one of those pergola things in the back, then get the rest landscaped to the back area.

planted one for the first time this year. we will see how she does. Corn and peas are popping through the ground so if I can keep the deer out of it maybe i'll be ok
    Last edited by Phone Man; 04-25-2018 at 09:42 AM.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

This is my first year doing a big garden. My soil (red clay) will probably hurt my yields but I'm learning a lot. I tilled in 2 scoops of mushroom compost but it didn't make a visible difference in the dirt. Next year I hope to plant a cover crop, till it under in February and get the Clemson extension to test my soil.

Between the frost last week and the heavy rains this week I've still got all of these growing in garage windows. I've been putting them out in the sun to "harden off" when the weather is nice. I plan to transplant this weekend.
    10 bell peppers (green, red and yellow)
    6 banana peppers
    6 Park's Whopper Improved tomatoes
    6 Better Boy tomatoes
    2 Supersweet 100 cherry tomatoes

I'm planting these from seed:
    20 ft of blue lakes
    30 ft of sugar buns hybrid corn
    15 ft of Clemson spineless okra
    2 squash
    2 zucchini
    2 watermelon

For years I've planted all sorts of silly stuff. I think one year we had 90 some odd tomato plants.. I've gone through every sort of pepper, herb, squash, wild things.. My hankering is real tomatoes. I plant mostly marions, even though I do like a cherokee purple.. and a couple of those smaller sweeter types, just so I can eat them when I'm out there. At the farm there's some okra, some tomatoes, some squashes, then silver king.. Thought it was going to be silver queen, but we messed up. It'll okay. Then melons of some sort shortly, didn't do potatoes of any kind for the first time in years.

Some corn, onions, and some squashes so far

20180425_134534.jpg

And some sunflowers...

20180425_134611.jpg

Try the Cherokee carbons also if you haven't, very Hardy and heavy yields with a great taste. Easier for me and last longer than the purple's at least in the LC

I'm not that good at gardening, but I love it and I think it's relaxing. I've got a ton of squash popping out but they are real small and haven't really grown any bigger in a week. Could this be a pollenation thing? My zucchini are doing the same thing.
    867-5309

Greenhouse is full of just about anything you can imagine, and some flowers. Hoping to get some time to get in the ground here soon. 10 acres of seeded and seedless watermelons planted Sunday as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    I'm not that good at gardening, but I love it and I think it's relaxing. I've got a ton of squash popping out but they are real small and haven't really grown any bigger in a week. Could this be a pollenation thing? My zucchini are doing the same thing.
    they be fine. just watch and wait...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by SCmudder7071 View Post
    Greenhouse is full of just about anything you can imagine, and some flowers. Hoping to get some time to get in the ground here soon. 10 acres of seeded and seedless watermelons planted Sunday as well.
    10 acres????
    dayyum

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Yep, they're not getting pollinated. I usually have to do mine with a q-tip in the morning.

Tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, carrots, herbs and one big ole cabbage the school sent home with the 3rd grader.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    10 acres????
    dayyum
    Raised in Pageland so Watermelons are life. They're either sold wholesale or we sell them at our spot at the Farmers Market.

Well my maters drowned in all the rain so I'll probably have to replant them soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SCmudder7071 View Post
    Raised in Pageland so Watermelons are life. They're either sold wholesale or we sell them at our spot at the Farmers Market.
    how do you plant them? you got a pic?

I imagine he starts with digging a hole

just a guess
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Yep, they're not getting pollinated. I usually have to do mine with a q-tip in the morning.
    i'm confused.

the PLANT isnt getting bigger or the FRUIT isnt getting bigger?

neither is a pollination issue, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    I imagine he starts with digging a hole

just a guess
    but with what? small shovel? marshaltown trowel? planter/tractor? 10 acres is an ass of dirt....

I can't help with what makes the hole

I can only guarantee at some point, there is a hole dug
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    I can't help with what makes the hole

I can only guarantee at some point, there is a hole dug
    ^Best listen to this guy. He sounds like a seasoned pro.