Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2018 Garden Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cleancutredneck View Post
    my guess is peach
    hahahahaha
    I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.

Our sweet corn is ready. I'm pretty stoked about that. Tomato pies and sweet corn all weekend, Yeaaaaaaaaaaya

Boll weevil eggs. You're screwed, best pick everything before "the hatch".
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHeadRocker View Post
    And for the record I wish they would all die a slow and painful death. Those heathens will destroy a garden in a few days if you dont get after them. Spray them with liquid 7 or dust and scrape the eggs off with a knife. Most of the time they will lay the eggs on the under side of the leaf. Some lay shingles or cardboard down at night and kill all the bugs hiding under in the next morning.
    Thanks for that. First time I've heard of that before. I mash every squash bug I see and use the liquid seven. They will go down in crevices by the root stems if there is any room too from what I've seen. As far as the eggs, the ones I see are small brownish color clusters about the size of a dime or less. I will rip the section of leaf those are attached to off and mash them up too. The mashing bugs and eggs seems to help control things along with the spray provided you have time to stay on top of it, like every evening.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Our sweet corn is ready. I'm pretty stoked about that. Tomato pies and sweet corn all weekend, Yeaaaaaaaaaaya
    Still behind you a good bit but I got a few zuch and straight neck squash coming in already this week. Corn looks like it's gonna make, good stand of beans and lots of tomatoes showing though none close to ripe yet. Okra, well I will have enough to feed most here probably.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

caught my black lab sneaking out of the garden with a tennis ball sized bell pepper in her mouth. no telling how many she's already eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    Squash bugs.

G

I am pretty sure what you have pictured there is a Leaf-footed bug. They are also hell on a garden. They poke holes in your tomatos.

Johnny reb is correct
    cut\'em

Ate some sweet corn from Bowman last night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting some squash, zuchs and a few tomatoes. Corn starting to tassle, beans (lost some the last two weeks in spite of watering) are starting to bloom. Okra knee high. Cantaloupe about the size of softballs. Behind this year but still appears we will make a bit of stuff, Good LORD willing.

Corn made about 2/3 crop. Still a bit on the upper half that may make yet. Squash, zuch, okra gone wild. 4 cantaloupe plants in high gear, counted 30+ on them yesterday eve. Tomatoes doing ok. Heat worked on the beans, blooming but not making much at all and lots of skips. Planning to replant a late crop when I cut the corn.

July 4th

Some

Normal stuff

Last picking of corn and beans which only made two laps.

Cut the corn Saturday and plowed it and beans under. Replanted with 8 rows of beans and 3 rows of crowder peas. If they make there should be plenty to go around.

My tomatoes have done well this year with all the rain.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Dang Bunn, sorry to bore you with my garden posts. Just reporting in where I'm still gardening. Beans are coming up and I ended up with one double row about 12" apart. At first I thought some of the seeds had migrated due to the heavy rain last week. Finally decided it was where I tilled in the last crop and a bunch were coming up voluntary.

And me and knucklehead have built 2300' of 5 strand barb wire and about 80' of split rail fences this summer so far. Still got about 80' of split rail to go this week and another 300' of barb wire fence yet. Hope to finish those up in the next week or two.

I have more tomatoes and tomatillos than I know what to do with right now.

Fair crop for us but they haven't been the prettiest. Lots with cracked tops around the stem, some were thick skinned earlier. Got enough okra for all of us here, 2 gallon bucket full a day is the norm. Cantaloupes did real well this year and still 25 or so on the vines. I carry a stick to beat the women off me here at work when I bring one of them in to give away.