Thread: Termite bond

Default Termite bond

Do you carry one and if so, have you ever had to use it?

Wouldn’t own a house without it. However we have never used it. (Knock on wood, no pun intended)

Yes and yes.

First house I bought and sold.........there was existing termite and water damage under the bathroom that they did not disclose on the initial inspection. I went to sell the house and the buyers inspector found it. Termite company fixed it on their dime, it probably would of cost me $10k because they gutted the bathroom.
    Last edited by Chessbay; 08-25-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Yes and Yes here too. Nothing more unsettling to arrive home from the hospital with your crippled up Dad to live with you for a time to recover and find termites swarming in your house. Purchased house that was under bond with reported previous and resolved issue, passed home inspection. Kept home under bond with same local mom & pop company for several years then saw activity in the garage. Had them come and retreat. Saw activity again a year or so later, came back and retreated. At that point I called in Orkin. Gave full disclosure of history so they understood situation completely. They then did full inspection and treatment. A year or so later and the swarm already mentioned, us freaking out. Ended up with a group including their region manager kicking around trying to figure out where the termites were breaching the barriers. Came down to one interior wall in garage, probably moisture under pad, so I told them to open the wall up. Found one void, crack in foundation that was not getting treatment and about $2500 in damages. They covered it all but still the hassle of construction and repairs. I went on to remodel the garage myself afterwards and ended up way better off. No more issues after that. The point is, you can try to do everything right and still have to deal with termites.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I’m impressed to read someone got them to pay. I know two people personally that the company was able to weasel out of covering repairs. One of them paid for repairs had national company re-treat and happened again and still wouldn’t cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post
    I’m impressed to read someone got them to pay. I know two people personally that the company was able to weasel out of covering repairs. One of them paid for repairs had national company re-treat and happened again and still wouldn’t cover it.
    I deal with termite companies on a weekly basis. You said all you needed to say when you said "national company." Find you a small, family owned company that actually gives a shit about their last name and their reputation. There are several good ones around SC. There are many, many bad ones around SC.
    To the OP, yes they are worth it, IF you have it bonded with a decent company.
    Example, I'm in charge of property maintenance at my church. Several years ago when i was first put in that role, terminix had the facilities under bond. We are talking about an 80-90 year old building. We got termites in some of the subfloor. Terminix said they would not bond this because "we couldn't access that area when we were treating it due to a hvac trunk line." Knowing this area would continue to be a problem due to non-treatment, I called two other termite guys I do business with. Both of them were able to access this area with a little effort, though it wasn't easy. And, both of these guys were bigger than the guy from terminix who claimed he couldn't access it. I shortly thereafter canceled the bond with terminix and bonded with one of these other companies.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post
    same here
    You can grow up to be just like me....

It would be stupid not to have it. Almost akin to not having a survey when you buy a house.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.