Thread: Drift Boat

Default Drift Boat

I have fly fished a little, caught some fish, never got too serious about it. I'm moving to the mountains this summer. Along with a stocked creek directly in front of my house, the Watauga River is right down the road (less than 5 minutes), I plan on fishing these the most as of right now. I've looked at the traditional drift boats, and honestly don't want something I have to trailer around. I want something I can drag up and down hills and primitive areas by myself or with two people, and throw in the back of a truck. I know I can get by without a drift boat, but the goal is to get away from areas with easy public access and be able to fish longer stretches of river. I've been looking at these: https://www.flycraftusa.com/collecti...ishing-package

Anyone have any experience with Fly Craft, or something similar? I have no experience with inflatable boats or drift boats, so any feedback is appreciated.

Those are made here and my friends who trout fish a lot love them, I have only used one once and it was for hunting. Solid boats.

here is another option that might be worth a look

https://www.nrs.com/product/84062.04...ble-drift-boat

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    here is another option that might be worth a look

https://www.nrs.com/product/84062.04...ble-drift-boat
    I like that, but 310 pounds wouldn't be fun to tote around by myself, especially in the mountains.

Lots of people use boats similar to the flycraft but on bigger scale on that river, while some use drift boats like hydes and crakacrafts they are'nt needed. You should look into one of the native boats that someone had for sale in the TP. You can carry it, throw it in the truck, and stand up in it if its smooth water just rig an anchor weight system on it similar to a drift boat. Or get a canoe. With any boat and that river you're going to have a put in and pull out spot, unless you fish a mile, beach it and walk back to your car. You're not going to find too many places that are not fished heavily with guides if you get a big boat. You will all have to get in and out at the same places. The thing is time, season and time of day that you're on the water or having a smaller boat and access to cross property where others might not be. Also some guides (2 brothers) can be pretty territorial on that river.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC_ducks View Post
    Lots of people use boats similar to the flycraft but on bigger scale on that river, while some use drift boats like hydes and crakacrafts they are'nt needed. You should look into one of the native boats that someone had for sale in the TP. You can carry it, throw it in the truck, and stand up in it if its smooth water just rig an anchor weight system on it similar to a drift boat. Or get a canoe. With any boat and that river you're going to have a put in and pull out spot, unless you fish a mile, beach it and walk back to your car. You're not going to find too many places that are not fished heavily with guides if you get a big boat. You will all have to get in and out at the same places. The thing is time, season and time of day that you're on the water or having a smaller boat and access to cross property where others might not be. Also some guides (2 brothers) can be pretty territorial on that river.
    Thanks for the info.

Whitewater kayaking is much more fun than catching trout. Pro tip.

Got a friend that has a SmithFly raft and he loves it. Weighs just a touch over 100lbs I think. But it's pricey.