Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC Property Rollback Taxes...

Default SC Property Rollback Taxes...

...are bullshit. I can understand taxing a developer when he purchases an ag. tract of land to develop into a neighborhood, strip mall, etc.; but it seems like horseshit to tax a private land owner or family member who inherits farm land and wants to build a house. Why should the new owner have to pay the rollback taxes when they were not the one receiving the original tax breaks?

What are rollback taxes?
    When a property is classified as agricultural use and receives an exemption on the property taxes due, these taxes are considered deferred. When a change in use of the property occurs, such as a new building on the property, then the
    Assessor’s Office must go back, up to a period of five (5) years, and collect those deferred taxes. This is state law and can be found in section 12-43-220(4) in the SC Code of Laws.

How are rollback taxes calculated? Rollback taxes go back a maximum of 5 years from the year a change in property use has occurred. The taxes due reflect the difference between what was paid under agricultural use, and what the taxes would have been if the exemption was not applied.

But I didn’t own the land until now. Why should I have to pay these taxes?
    Unfortunately, the taxes follow the land, and not the owner per State Law.

I would be interested in hearing opinions. Lets discuss.

How big is the property? We dont you subdivide the house out of the whole and leave the rest as agricultural use?

Exactly what I did for my place... 1 acre residential the remaining land still Ag use.

I was discussing this with a new land owner and just thought I would see what the meeting of the minds thought.

Rollbacks are ridiculous. Cut out one acre for house. Make sure the rest remains in ag use.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I've seen some pretty creative surveys done to only include the driveway and the residence. Yes, rollback taxes suck.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I had the same thing at my place Johnny, and know several others that had the same. It's a bitch but no way around it. I tied 5 acres of my property to my house and left the remaining 15 in agriculture. I paid back taxes on the 5 acres. They sent me 5 separate tax bills. One for each year of the rollback.
    My opinion, yeah its bull$hit. Just another way for the county to bend you over.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Taxes are ridiculous. Cut out one acre for house. Make sure the rest remains in ag use.
    FIFY

Taxation is theft
    FIFY further.

I am fixing to get hit with it too Jon. Going to cut out a couple acres for my son to build him a house on the farm here. Dont they hit you for, like two years taxes on the property you cut out? I am going to try and keep the survey for Jamies property down to 2 or 3 acres. Lexington County taxes are ridiculous.
    E T

Rollbacks are ridiculous. Cut out one acre for house. Make sure the rest remains in ag use.
    Well, you are in a position to change the law on property taxes. Why not develop and pass a bill that would help?

Well isn't this a fine kettle of fish...

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    I've seen some pretty creative surveys done to only include the driveway and the residence. Yes, rollback taxes suck.
    Sheeeiiitttttt......slap an easement on that driveway and leave it in ag also.

You are welcome. I guess I was in a position to fix. Had it deleted but democrats amended to 3 years.

Oh well, it is better.

I know in Charleston County it is not required to formally subdivide the home site. They will rollback about two acres for the home site. The balance you can apply for ag use if the balance is 5 acres or more.
    DILLIGAF

I have a 23 acre parcel that I was paying $36 per year because it had an Ag exemption. When the county discovered I was having a pond dug (technically a mine since I was selling the dirt) they hit me with a $14,000 tax bill. They were assessing it using a recently sold piece of land that a road contraction company overpaid for as a comp for all five years going back. I fought it and got it drastically reduced by forcing them to only consider the acreage that was delineated by the mining permit but they still got their pound of flesh. After the last truckload of dirt was hauled off, I still couldn't restore the Ag exemption until the mining permit was closed out. DHEC won't close the mining permit until they have documented two years of bank vegetation.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I have a 23 acre parcel that I was paying $36 per year because it had an Ag exemption. When the county discovered I was having a pond dug (technically a mine since I was selling the dirt) they hit me with a $14,000 tax bill. They were assessing it using a recently sold piece of land that a road contraction company overpaid for as a comp for all five years going back. I fought it and got it drastically reduced by forcing them to only consider the acreage that was delineated by the mining permit but they still got their pound of flesh. After the last truckload of dirt was hauled off, I still couldn't restore the Ag exemption until the mining permit was closed out. DHEC won't close the mining permit until they have documented two years of bank vegetation.
    Good job for not making the news, because that's how you get a killdozer.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Yeah, FTS.

property tax is the worst tax there is, no one owns property as long as you have to pay a tax on it. I did the same, subdivided off 1 acre for house, left the rest in ag

I can’t wait to see what my roll back taxes are gonna be on 5.75ac

I cleared 6 acres after a hurricane. Removed top soil and replaced with sand clay from one of my mines.

My neighbor sold for a pretty penny. I got a huge tax bill because they felt my use was changed to commercial.

I just planted it in pines...