Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recurve Arrow advice needed

longbow, i hope it wasn't against the rules to post jeffery's number - I'm too new to this board to start pissing people off already!

There used to be a small archery shop in Pendleton back in my clemson days. It was off of 76 almost across from the Spinx gas station. I can't recall the name of it, and I was only shooting a compound at the time so I don't remember if they had much traditional stuff. Do any of you upstate fellas know where I'm talking about?

Kirk,

Is that Dwight's Archery, somewhere across from the Milliken plant?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

i don't see any problems with posting business phone numbers?!? [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img] who wouldn't want the business?

well, i got my recurve set up yesterday at Jeffrey's. Owen helped me with my form for a minute and then we went to arrow selection. i have no clue what you guys are talking about when you say 2918, 27816, at 150fps and all that, but i am getting the hang of it.

My recurve is an old Jeffrey 61" Royal Mag Hunter, pulling 51 pounds at 29" draw length. Tom chose the 2114 aluminum arrow. I will be shooting 125g broadheads. Does that combo make sense to all you Injuns?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

What color loin cloth did they set you up with?

I bet pink....Lableaker can prolly confirm.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

with purple polka dots.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Oh dude, purple polka dots are just going to make your eyes sparkle. And pink is such a slimming color

Woodie, Dwight's is the name. Are they still around?

Kirk,

Yes, Dwight's is still around. I just talked to him and am going to run over there today to see what he has to say.
    ~ George Washington

I stopped over at Dwight's and he did his "thing". We ran through the computer program - Archery 'something' - and it showed some interesting things. The program has a colored graph on the bottom that indicates if the arrow is too weak, OK (Green zone), or too stiff, depending on the variables you plug in.

For my 50" recurve, 27" draw (although B&B measured it at 28", 7 1/4" brace height, and a 30" arrow, etc, it indicated that the 2413's would be way to stiff, the 2016's and 2018's way too weak, but the 2117's to be right on the middle. It also showed they should fly at 169.2 fps. What do I know...

So he's making me up some 2117's with 5" RH fletching. I'll play with those and see how they compare to the 2413's I've got. Hopefully they won't be too heavy. We'll see soon.

Thanks for the info.
    ~ George Washington

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Woodie, It ain't all in the charts!!!! Just because the chart "says" that a certain arrow is correct for your bow doesn't mean a whole lot. Your actual draw length, your rest, nocking point, and your release have a lot to do with what will fly well. Also. just because a 125gr. field point flys well, does not mean that the same weight broadhead will fly well or to the same point of aim.

BTW, Owen Jeffery knows your bow inside and out. He built it! Owen and Tom will let you shoot different arrows to see what works for you. You should check them out.

Good luck!
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

CWPINST,

I have no doubt about that Owen would be the ticket. But since I won't be able to make a trip to Columbia for awhile I figured I'd start somewhere. If the 2117's don't fly reasonably well in either my bow or my buddy's I guess I'll be selling them on the Trading Forum and will start over.

What do you mean that Jeff Owen built my bow? I've got a relatively cheap Shakespeare bow of 1977 vintage.
    ~ George Washington

tradorion Coots

At one time or another (before getting into his own bow shop) Owen has worked for or with many of the major names/manufacturers... after getting his shop he then made many of the major names bows for them... Wing, Dan Quillian, and some others sold "their" bow which was manufactured in Tom and Owen's shop...

if the 2117's are still a bit stiff (i think they will be personally) you can weaken their spine rating by going to a higher weight head... then again, as CWPINST noted, release plays in big as well- a stiffer arrow is often needed to help correct a sloppy release....

R

In that case I might need a broomstick for awhile until I learn more about this sport.

I'll definitely try to schedule a trip to see Owen. He sounds like an interesting person to spend some time with.

Thanks.
    ~ George Washington

i spent all weekand at their shop. be prepared to wait your turn....only 2 employees.

i did get a chance to do some shooting with owen on friday. its amazing how well he knows a bow. i have a 61" recurve that pulls 50#s at 29". i am shooting the 2114s out of it with 125 gr tips. so far, so good.

Dern Toof....one jab about your trainin wheels and you are a regular robinhood. Go boy!
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Owen was the head bow designer at Shakesphere. That is why he came to SC. Before that he designed bows for Fred Bear. In my opinion the best looking one piece bow ever made was/is the Super Kodiak. That was Owen's design, not Fred's. In fact Owen can still make that bow. I have often thought about getting him to make me one. If you get the chance, you really need to get to know Owen. He is a brilliant designer and a heck of a nice guy. He was also a WWII bomber pilot in the Pacific Theater and is full of stories. If you are really "into" archery, you should meet him. There are not many of the archery pioneers around anymore.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Tom and Owen are two of the nicest folks one would ever hope to meet. Owen earned my deepest respect when he spent all those years taking care of his wife while she was ill. Not many men could have handled that in the fashion he did. His expertise with bows is exceeded only by his character as an outstanding human being. Owen should be nominated for the Palmetto Award like Neil Cost was.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Owen should be nominated for the Palmetto Award like Neil Cost was.
    Why not nominate him in a group letter to Governor Sanford?
    ~ George Washington

Anyone now how to get that ball rolling? That would be huge!

Gonna head over there this morning to get a bow string if anyone needs anything.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.