Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saluda trout

Quote Originally Posted by DJA View Post
    TU is mad because until now they had the only access with their parking spots for walk ins to this stretch of river. Now that is gone.
    That is exactly what is going on. Don't get me wrong, I love catching big trout every now and then, but I damn sure don't support locking down a section of the river just so TU can keep their own little honey hole to themselves. Granted I know access and fishing will still be permitted there, but you will be playing by TU's rules if this goes through.

Every member of TU I've met on the river or around town was an absolute trout snob that looked down on anyone that kept trout from the river or even mentioned fishing in 'their' stretch of the river.

I got nothing for TU but this would be a good thing for Columbia if natural reproduction is really established. You can always drive a little farther and go catch all the stockers you want. Or you can live in the upstate and catch all the stockers you want and have to drive much further to find quality trout fishing. I'm there now and from my perspective some of you fellas are looking at this all wrong. I'd love to have a quality trout fishery closeby, C&R or strict limits. If you live in SC and are pissed because you can't keep all the trout you want then you live in the wrong state to start with.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

You guys are actually eating these fish? Don't get me wrong, it's a fun place to fish, but I would never eat a fish out of that water. You can catch trout out of the 'hooch in Atlanta as well, but no one is crying that they can't take home a limit to cook because why in the world would you want to?

*there may or may not be spores in Saluda trout*

I'll take my chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Quack View Post
    That is exactly what is going on. Don't get me wrong, I love catching big trout every now and then, but I damn sure don't support locking down a section of the river just so TU can keep their own little honey hole to themselves. Granted I know access and fishing will still be permitted there, but you will be playing by TU's rules if this goes through.

Every member of TU I've met on the river or around town was an absolute trout snob that looked down on anyone that kept trout from the river or even mentioned fishing in 'their' stretch of the river.
    They certainly were not happy when I rolled up in there with my alter light and rooster tails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My issue with the whole thing is that reproduction is extremely limited and it will never be a self sustaining fishery (dnr stated that it will never self sustain). As a matter of fact it was designed to be put and take, and it was encouraged that you take what you caught home. Now with the implementation of different procedures at the dam some trout are doing a better job of holding over. However the most recent study showed that 1.6% of stocked trout hold over out of something like 25k. That is around 400 trout total. Now take into account that this river is a little over 10 miles long, they can only reproduce in this small stretch, and not all of the fish will reproduce (because I think browns are included in the 1.6% and aren't capable of reproducing in the river) the luster of even bothering to pass a law wears off. I personally think more research should be done before any laws are passed.

Don't mean to appear a spokesman for this, far removed from it. Sounds like a slot limit would protect the larger holdovers maybe. I think those figures you quote about holdovers would also include current limits and the encouragement to take home what you caught. More research might be in order but like it or not those TU fellas surely weren't removing the that will be when the trail goes in. That's what the C&R is more about, keeping fish in the river to catch. Not about growing 30" trout. Besides, a 20" as pictured in the article is pretty much a trophy rainbow for any river in SC. Like it or not, that area is about to change big time.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I watched a 30-in brown trout pulled out of the deep hole about 300yds downstream of the TU walk in entrance.

TU guys are morons, if they wanted to keep the population healthy they could raise money to hire a DNR officer that does nothing but patrol the river. Enforce the laws that are already in place.

High water and rockfish will keep that river from ever being a world class fishery.

The question is how many grow up to be any real size. Hell back in the 70's some real nice trout were caught then close to the I-26 bridge. Surprisingly some made it through low water levels and stripers. If the numbers are not substantial it may be a waste anyhow.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWagner View Post
    I watched a 30-in brown trout pulled out of the deep hole about 300yds downstream of the TU walk in entrance.
    30 inches?

They grew before the neighborhood and lots of people fished for them. Now TU has the spot to themselves pretty much. The path is going in on the opposite side of the river. Now the opposite side of the river does not sound like much but, there is an island covered with briars in the middle the whole length of the area that is good for wading. There are only a few ways through to the other side and it is rocky and slippery. I really think TU has less to worry about than they think. Advertising it as a catch and release area to get bigger fish is very attractive to every "hey bo" around.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWagner View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Knavin View Post
    30 inches?
    I hooked up with browns several times in the 24inch range. Popped my line every time by turning sideways in the current and taking off down stream. My zebco ultralight drag could not handle it.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

You can't be poetic with release trout, that's totally f****** against the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    You can't be poetic with release trout, that's totally f****** against the rules.

Like calling them "wild" because they survived one winter.

We always trolled for the slimy little fucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pro Remington 870 Operator

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    TU guys are morons, if they wanted to keep the population healthy they could raise money to hire a DNR officer that does nothing but patrol the river. Enforce the laws that are already in place.

High water and rockfish will keep that river from ever being a world class fishery.
    And the fact the water temperature is 75 degrees in the summer.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    It's cooler than that on the west side under the Gervais Street bridge in August.

That stretch isn't "the only area suitable for trout reproduction." That's just a ploy by TU to save their spot because they know unencumbered public access will mean blue worm tubs on every rock, full stringers, and floaters in the slack water. I personally like less access so the people willing to work have less competition (think paddle only WMAs for ducks), but that's just selfishness mainly.

There are some "wild" trout all through the river, but it is far from ever being self sustaining. There are also plenty of big trout, even in the most pressured areas. Branch out from corn-soaking shoulder to shoulder with the hundreds of people that will fish the river based on what they saw after they Google searched "Saluda River trout" and you'd be surprised. Invest in spare lower units, JB weld, and dry-boxes.

The skating is going to be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    Aug-Sept 2017: Water comes out of the dam at 61-63 degrees. Release temperature varies little year to year.
    https://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis...ate=2017-09-30

Water temp is up to 62-71 degrees by the time it gets to the zoo, depending on flow.
    https://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis...ate=2017-09-30

I agree with WNM that the population of "wild" trout is unlikely to ever be self-sustaining but I don't put the blame on water temperature.

My opinion: The proposed restrictions are all about discouraging use of this stretch by members of the general public, not to protect populations of "wild" or even trophy fish, but to keep pressure low and prevent expected abuse (littering, erosion, etc.) by those perceived low class individuals that would keep trout.