Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saluda trout

Default Saluda trout

March 07, 2018 01:30 PM

Updated 4 minutes ago

Worried that people strolling Columbia’s new riverwalk will threaten trout populations on the lower Saluda River, state officials are pushing for fishing limits they say will protect one of South Carolina’s most unusual fisheries.

The limits would bar anglers from keeping any trout they catch in a 1.3-mile section of the river upstream from Riverbanks Zoo.

Columbia’s under-construction riverwalk, which throngs of people are expected to use, is the driving force behind the effort. The trail, to run along the riverbank, will increase pressure on the fragile trout fishery as more people use the riverwalk to access trout waters, officials said.

“Once the riverwalk goes in, it will be very easy to access,’’ state Department of Natural Resources freshwater fisheries chief Ross Self said. “You’ll be able to walk up there on the sidewalk and wade out into the river and fish for trout.’’

Never miss a local story.

SUBSCRIBE NOW
    Trout Unlimited, a national sport fishing group, has advocated tougher limits as the riverwalk nears completion later this year. The Congaree Riverkeeper group also backs tighter limits. The Department of Natural Resources urged state senators Wednesday to impose the limits.

The agency, which stocks about 25,000 trout in the river each year, recently has discovered the cold water fish are beginning to spawn there for the first time.

But the trout population remains vulnerable to overfishing and the 1.3-mile stretch needs special protection from people who use the riverwalk to find fishing spots, boosters of the new limits say.

Anglers and Natural Resources biologists say the area to be protected is full of rocky shoals, cold water and shallow pools that make it prime habitat for trout reproduction. The area where anglers would have to throw back any fish they catch is between the I-26 bridge and Stacy’s Ledge, just upriver from the zoo.

“This is a critical stretch of the lower Saluda that SCDNR has identified as being a prime spawning habitat for rainbow trout,’’ according to the Facebook page of local Trout Unlimited members.

Trout aren’t native to the lower Saluda, a river that is three hours from the mountain streams the fish typically thrive in. But Natural Resources started stocking trout in the lower Saluda after the Lake Murray dam was completed in 1930 and SCE&G began releasing frigid water through the structure. Trout need cold water to survive.

In recent years, rainbow trout have begun reproducing in the river because SCE&G is operating the dam differently. The power company is pumping more oxygen into the water and keeping the river at levels more favorable for trout spawning, officials say.

The lower Saluda, a state-designated scenic river, is different than many S.C. rivers because it contains characteristics of both the mountains and the coast, while running through one of South Carolina’s largest metropolitan areas.

Concerns about the riverwalk’s impact on the Saluda aren’t unique to fishermen. Paddlers also have raised questions.

River Alliance director Mike Dawson, whose organization is overseeing construction of the riverwalk, said the trail will provide access to a scenic river that many people now can’t get to. Dawson said that includes opportunities for more trout fishing.

“We want people to go up there and fish,’’ Dawson said. “I’m of the opinion that you want the sport to grow and be exciting. So if this catch-and-release policy is enabling that, that is a good thing.’’

It will take action by the S.C. Legislature to put trout-fishing limits on the lower Saluda.

State senators discussed a bill Wednesday that would prevent anglers from keeping any fish they catch between the I-26 bridge and Stacy’s Ledge. The rest of the river, about eight miles, is not affected by the proposed ban on keeping fish. Existing rules allow anglers to keep five trout per trip.

The Senate committee is expected to vote on the bill later this month. If approved, the proposal would go to the full Senate for consideration.

Sen. Thomas McElveen, D-Sumter, said he likes the idea of limiting the take-home catch of trout. But he questioned whether the rules should apply to a greater part of the lower Saluda.

“People I’ve talked to, who I trust, think if you are going to start protecting the lower end of that fishery, you should protect a bigger part of it,’’ he said after Wednesday’s committee meeting.

Congaree Riverkeeper Bill Stangler said the limits are needed.

“If you are going to pick a spot to protect, this is the spot.”

Trout like this whopper are spawning year-round in the lower Saluda River. The Legislature is considering rules to prevent people from keeping trout they catch in a one-mile stretch of the river near Columbia.

http://www.thestate.com/news/politic...203923184.html

Damn I remember when the limit was twelve and catching the hell out of them. Five ain't worth putting a boat in for.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

This is the first I've heard about that Riverwalk BS, and I really don't like it. Can't we leave a nice thing alone?

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    This is the first I've heard about that Riverwalk BS, and I really don't like it. Can't we leave a nice thing alone?
    Hell no they can't. The city folks have to have a place to escape to, so they go and intrude into every crook and cranny that involves wildlife. Who can blame them, a concrete world has to be about like living in hell I would imagine.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

It is flat out asinine on all accounts (just as the law set that we couldn’t use stocked trout to catch rockfish).

Screw em. I love fly fishing for trout, but this river isn’t the Davidson and never will be. It’s put and take via tax dollars and that’s what most that regularly fish it will do.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

That path will be sweet for riding my skateboard. I can skate and fish. Shits gonna be wicked.

Isn't this the stretch that the TU guys have access to via a neighborhood there, but you have to have the TU sticker to park?

I would bet money on it, this has Trout Fight Club written all over it.

I actually went to one of the meetings in opposition to this idea. TU worked with DNR in the proposition of this. From what I saw and heard at the meeting, the main concern was the impact the riverwalk would have on the trout since there will be increased access. As a matter of fact one of the TU members at the meeting straight up said that the public can't be trusted. I have never actually been able to get to this area to fish but from what I understand the TU guys love the place. What I learned from the presentation they gave was that there are some rainbows making redds and actually reproducing in this area because the conditions (lots of gravel) are conducive to it. Wild trout have been caught in the area, but from what I understand exact survivorship is unknown. They did hypothesize that since reproduction is occurring after the striper run (If I recall they were saying around May) many more are surviving but there is no way of knowing at current time. I will also note that reproduction is only being observed with rainbows and not browns since the water does not get cool enough for browns to reproduce. When I asked point blank what the point of the legislation was I was told that it was a unique opportunity to have this habitat and they wanted to preserve it but they also realize (DNR that is) that it will never be a trophy fishery. Because of this, I asked if it will never be a trophy fishery and for the large majority will be a put and take fishery what is the point in protecting this non-native fish that was never supposed to live in that river and going through the trouble of passing this legislation. This was met with varying responses by TU members ranging from the public can't be trusted to protect the resource to the assumption that I must be against stocking anything that wasn't native (Personally I support the program and do utilize the resource practicing catch and release). The DNR biologists said they understood where I was coming because there were some biologists on staff that held the same position that I did, but they had to find a happy medium (I cannot fault them I would not want to be in their position). The meeting pretty much ended with this being the final response.

Attempting to protect this fishery but allowing unfettered access will not benefit the resource. It's put n take, that's what should be allowed.

I envision corks wrapped in the trees, empty cans of corn / blue worm containers and dead trout floating downstream with their gills ripped out by treble hooks from rooster tails or their guts hanging out of their mouths from baited hooks.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Isn't this the stretch that the TU guys have access to via a neighborhood there, but you have to have the TU sticker to park?
    They've had that sticker thing going on since I was in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Attempting to protect this fishery but allowing unfettered access will not benefit the resource. It's put n take, that's what should be allowed.

I envision corks wrapped in the trees, empty cans of corn / blue worm containers and dead trout floating downstream with their gills ripped out by treble hooks from rooster tails or their guts hanging out of their mouths from baited hooks.
    I was thinking the very same thing. You should see the river down from Wilson's Landing. You don't want me to even talk about Low Falls.

What is the straight of the story there? Does the stream support trout year round or not? Is there natural reproduction or not? This article shows a 20" rainbow and says there is. No, it's probably not the Davidson river but even that river is largely hatchery supported. The Davidson has limits with a half year or so fishing season on the lower half. The 5 miles upstream is catch and release only. If the Saluda can support trout year round then what is wrong with limits and protecting the trout to some degree. If there is natural reproduction then a limit of 5 isn't setting a precedence either. Just make more than one day trip if you want to fill your freezer. Unless something has changed, limits on put and take streams in SC are 8 now. Natural reproducing (called "wild trout") streams have a limit of 5, with artificial lures only. The reason is to keep them from being overfished. 99% of it is for introduced species, rainbows, browns and northern strain hatchery reared brooks. If the water quality is there (with or without natural reproduction) then you could have a better fishing experience much the same as in other states that have done similar. This is not a new concept, already proven on other rivers/other states really. If the river is capable of producing trophy trout then what is wrong with setting aside a few stretches with limits to let them grow to full potential?
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Yes. Riverwalk is on I-126 side. TU has access from opposite side.

Before the neighborhood lots of people fished it and took home dinner. My largest rainbow was over 3lbs from that area. Lots of people used that side of the river before that hood went in.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

TU is mad because until now they had the only access with their parking spots for walk ins to this stretch of river. Now that is gone.
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

So tamie fish are okay, but tamie ducks are bad. Got it.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

The presentation dnr gave broke the river up into different sections and this section was fished mostly by wade fisherman. I believe it was something like 80% of fishing activities in this section were done by people wading. With this section having limited access to the general public you can kinda see where this is going.
    Last edited by Hunting310; 03-08-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Yep. We waded with sneakers and shorts. Not the easiest of fishing, but tasty. My ultralite and cricket tube are waiting.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    So tamie fish are okay, but tamie ducks are bad. Got it.
    Nope. The dam stopped the striper migration to the up state. They started feeding them trout because the dam stoped the migration pattern and the shad runs.