Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Land Rover Discovery 1 Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Land Rover Discovery 1 Build

I figured I'd post up a little project I'm currently working on.

This is my first Discovery, I own a couple of Series Trucks and have had a couple of Classics. The Disco is cool because it has a center locking Differential and is a monster off road.

I got this truck a couple of weeks ago and intend to correct what's wrong and hang on to it for a while. After poking around it for a while I quickly realized that you could literally Fred Flintstone the drivers floor board. The foam was soaking wet and had obviously been that way for a while. Half the Disco's and Classics in existence suffer from this. The Sunroof has drains and they drain into the door pillars. The pillars become clogged and they start to rust, this is also a very common problem.

I pulled all the wet foam out and and started cutting away rotten metal. The seat bases need a little work too as the welds have broken and are not very stable. These seats came out of some other truck and are not original to this truck. There is a company in the UK that manufacturers some replacement parts called YRM. I ordered Sills, brackets and pillar bottoms and will end up fabricating the floor pans out of sheet metal myself. The passenger side floor pan looks pretty good and just needs some cleaning. The sill and pillar bottoms are rotten and will need to be fixed. It also has the same issue with the seat bases and one of them is actually totally broken off.

Other than those issues I don't think I really have any other rust related problems.

I plan on doing the following items in addition to correcting the rust problems:

- Head Liner
    - Re-Upholster the two front seats
    - 2" Lift which I have.......KRT will install it for me (he does not know that yet)
    - ARB Winch Bumper and Warn Winch
    - Floor Mats
    - Maybe some alternate to carpet or maybe new carpet; not sure yet?
    - I got some 235/85 MT's with the truck so I will either use them on this or buy another set of tires.
    - Window Seals on the rear windows
    - Service it
    - I might either fabricate some sliders myself or buy some already made.

Anyway, it's probably a little more rust than I was expecting but otherwise I'll plug away at it. I am looking forward to this truck since my family can ride in it and we can all go to Rover events. The Series trucks make it a little tough to ride in with Children.

So far the only bone headed move I made is cutting through the damn brake lines. I knew they were there and did it anyway........I'll get them fixed tomorrow I hope.

Today I got the inner and outer sill welded in, the A-Pillar and a couple of brackets.

I'll get the drivers floor installed tomorrow I hope and then move to the passenger side. The other pictures are what happens when you grind without a guard. It caught something and snatched out of my hand. If I'd of not had my welding jacket on I would of probably needed stitches. I hate a guard, but they are there for a reason.

Last edited by Chessbay; 03-03-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Nice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

You a talented mofo!!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Can’t wait to see how it progresses.

Awesome project.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

Nice project. Have you thought about rhino lining the floor pans on the inside? Sure would beat carpet in that thing.

Looking good. Rust is fun. I just picked up a '69 c10 that's gonna need the same attention.

Hope you got a face shield. Some stitches in the arm ain't shit after you've seen half a fibre disc embedded in someone's jaw!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHeadRocker View Post
    Nice project. Have you thought about rhino lining the floor pans on the inside? Sure would beat carpet in that thing.

I have, but the carpet runs all the way up to the center console which you can see in picture #8 in the first post. A large portion of the wiring harness runs down the tunnel cover and I think that transition to the console would look really bad. I have not ruled it out, but will need to think about it a little more before committing.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Looking good. Rust is fun. I just picked up a '69 c10 that's gonna need the same attention.

Hope you got a face shield. Some stitches in the arm ain't shit after you've seen half a fibre disc embedded in someone's jaw!

Rust sucks, I hate it. Some people just put bandaids on it and use either fiberglass or POR15, but I'd rather cut it out and weld in new metal.

Awesome project.

I have toyed around with the thought of Rhino Lining the Bronco’s interior. I just keep thinking about having the windows down or the top off and having sand and dust whipping around, carpet traps a lot of that.

G

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    Awesome project.

I have toyed around with the thought of Rhino Lining the Bronco’s interior. I just keep thinking about having the windows down or the top off and having sand and dust whipping around, carpet traps a lot of that.

G
    Never had a problem with that in the Jeep I sprayed a liner in. It was nice to be able to hose out mud and have it drain through the floor. It was louder than when there was carpet though. I’d love to be able to do that in my truck now.

That is a project but have seen what you have done with other's and THAT WINCH you did was, Well, BADASS. You understand
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

#disco

You going to let me pull the heads and replace the gaskets or you going to?
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    #disco

You going to let me pull the heads and replace the gaskets or you going to?
    That’s done......valve job, guide seals, head surfaced and a head gasket.

That is awesome that you can do all of that. #envious

You probably already considered this but I didn't see where anyone had mentioned it so far, so figured I'd throw it out there.

Had a '98 F150 that had the rubber floor liner instead of carpet. Not talking about weather tech liners but instead a full rubber floor liner. I feel sure a company out there makes one for the Rovers but I really enjoyed being able to jump in the truck with muddy boots and not have to worry about cleaning carpet later.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 03-05-2018 at 08:37 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Cool project. Thanks for sharing

Quality work as usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Repaired my brake lines before I started making floor pans.

Drivers side is done, I need to re-weld the seat bases, paint it and put it back together. I'll try and tackle the passenger door posts next weekend.

Very nice.

G