Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Second Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Moose843 View Post
    An assault rifle is defined as following:
    1) automatic (rapid) fire capability
    2) high capacity (20+ rounds) magazines
    3) military grade
    Weapon must meet all 3 (not just 1 or 2) to be defined as an assault weapon. Cant remember where i found this last week but i will find again and share the link
    The definition I gave above is what I was trained to in the 1990's era - probably when we were all up in arms over Clinton's 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, when they changed the definition to meet their agenda. That's the thing - politicos are going to change the definition, often at the state level, to allow them to broaden the pool of what they impact.

I never saw a requirement for "military grade" - that in and of itself would be open to a lot of interpretation.

The thing is, dig in and don't agree to any further restrictions.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Liberals keep talking about "common-sense-gun-laws" so they can weaken the fundamental law that was written by men with uncommon sense.

I hyphenated the buzz phrase because the media treat it like a single Orwellian word, much like "gun-violence" or "hate-crime".

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I wish someone would explain to me why I give two fucks what the NRA says. Arent they just a 501-c-3 that got too big for its britches when money and lobbying became involved? Or am I supposed to believe everything they say because they are my voice in a crazy political game of which I take no part?
    The NRA is doing a good job here, primarily through Dana Loesch. Between her and Colion Noir, they have good spokespersons. Wayne needs to keep his mouth shut - he's not the best communicator. As a NRA member, I make use of their training and other non-political areas, which are an often overlooked area and really represent more of what the NRA is about. Every NRA training session I go to, the FIRST thing they do is say "we are not political, not part of the ILA, and do not go down that road".

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

This is the version of the second amendment that was adopted on December 15th, 1791 after being ratified by 3/4 of the states. Notice the changes in punctuation from what dawoo posted. Remember, punctuation can drastically change the meaning of statements. The founding fathers wanted to make sure that the last part was very clear in its meaning.

Here are a couple of the concurrent writings by those that were there and took a big part in gaining our freedom.

images-1.jpg

Screenshot_20180228-093809.jpg
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    The NRA is not a 501-c-3, which would be a charitable organization. Your dues are not a tax deduction. They may be a business expense depending on what it is you think you do.

That said, the NRA does have status as a nontaxable organization. I just don't recall if it is a c4 or perhaps c7 or one of the other classifications out there. It doesn't come under hospitals....
    sorry...I guess I was using a loose definition to say "why is the NRA the spokesman when they are just an organization you send money to and get a hat and a sticker."
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    The NRA is doing a good job here, primarily through Dana Loesch. Between her and Colion Noir, they have good spokespersons. Wayne needs to keep his mouth shut - he's not the best communicator. As a NRA member, I make use of their training and other non-political areas, which are an often overlooked area and really represent more of what the NRA is about. Every NRA training session I go to, the FIRST thing they do is say "we are not political, not part of the ILA, and do not go down that road".
    again, I'm not saying they are good or bad....i'm just wondering why they are the SINGULAR voice for gun "control" when I dont think they always speak for me.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

There are other organizations out there, but they have not established a high enough profile to register with most of the media or public. Many/most are even more strongly pro-2nd Amendment than the NRA - a reason why some people left the organization or stopped financially supporting it. They feel the NRA is compromising too much.