Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Red Drum

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Carolina, pretty sure it is harvested regularly in NC. If you go to restaurants in fla and NC they serve redfish. Either way, I would bet a few commercial boat hauls would be more than all of us combined would ever harvest as long as you excluded kayakks.

Couldnt help it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    pretty sure that's farm raised your seeing in restaurants. both nc and tex farm raise it. I've sold it in charleston restaurants here in the past.

Red drum are why the Louisiana folks invented the "blackening" method of cooking.

Begin with a dirt cheap shit cut of fish.

Add so much spice you can't taste it.

Burn that.

Sell to yankee tourists.

Profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Pamlico Sound looks like flooded timber in some places with all the gill nets staked out. Outer Banks could rival Venice, LA for spottail fishing if they eliminated inshore gill netting.
    That's interesting....

I was fishing daily on the panhandle gulf grass flats in the mid 90's and they implemented an inshore net ban. I remember catching a few pompano on crab flies one day in November. When I mentioned it to a few locals they told me I was full of shit and obviously didn't know what I was talking about. Well, a week later, the locals were shoulder to shoulder in my area with live shrimp under floats catchin'em up. It's hard for folks to comprehend what "could be" when they are so afraid of losing a little of what they think they currently have.

I haven't paid attention to this issue and don't have an opinion. Just continue to be frustrated by the politicians surveying the arm chair qb's.
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 03-01-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I blame the porpoise for the decline of the redfish. We should open season on them.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by bumponalog View Post
    pretty sure that's farm raised your seeing in restaurants. both nc and tex farm raise it. I've sold it in charleston restaurants here in the past.
    NC can sell wild caught redfish.

There are over 2500 "guides" in the Charleston area. Let's say 100 of them fish over 300 days a year and many allow their clients to keep 2 a day. Do the math.

Talk to the guides around Bohicket. They have been reduced to taking their Yankees to catch croaker, pinfish, black sea bass and sharks.
    DILLIGAF

" If you are talking to guides youre asking the wrong people"

Riiiight. The people that are out there everyday dont know whats going on...

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    NC can sell wild caught redfish.
    10-4

NC gill net laws are the shittiest in the country. They are the equivalent to redfish and trout that SC is to bucks. Dead last.

They cannot target reds with the gill nets but can keep some as “bi catch”. It’s 7 per boat I believe. Florida has commercial hook and line fishing for trout and reds I believe.

Gill nets in NC have all but wiped out the flounder population and can set the trout back for years when combined with these cold snaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by formerly bohica View Post
    " If you are talking to guides youre asking the wrong people"

Riiiight. The people that are out there everyday dont know whats going on...
    Most of em don't have a clue.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I don't want to hijack Duck tapes thread but this is a good watch.

Cyclical Data

We are forgetting too that the white sharks have to have food to eat as well, and it’s proven what they snack on.

NC is FUCKED. And it could be epic, but the commercial fishing lobby is almost as strong as the tobacco. Amazing what politicians will be told to think regardless of its biological and economic data shows.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

The bill had some concerns expressed and it was moved to contested calendar.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.