Thread: Recurve Quivers

Another newbie question here...

What's the "best" economical choice for quivers for a recurve bow? My bow doesn't have any mounting holes in it, although I wouldn't have any problem installing some if it's recommended.

I've seen a rubber one that slips over the two ends of the bow, but it seems a bit heavy. I would think it would throw the balance off.

The other kind has the wire loops that slip around the bow.

Of course there's always the hip quivers. I was debating whether those might get in the way.

Suggestions?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

tradorion Coots

I think Selway makes the slide on you are referring to- i have one and it is pretty good... another if the great northern- the good thing about it is the strap system that lets it move from bow to bow (could probably be used on a compound too)....

R

I use the Selway as well. The weight actually helps balance the bow IMHO. There is no perfect quiver and one's compromises will show up in various hunting scenarios. Agree with Trad...Selway or Great Northern are good bow quivers.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I also use the selway and the Great Northern quivers. I prefer the Great Northern but use the Selway 6 arrow model when I need the extra ammo. For economy you might try the new Skookum bow quiver in the new Cabelas catalog. THE FOUR ARROW MODEL IS $49.99, Wich is inexpencive by comparison. I have never seen one but it looks light and I like the way the hood and arrow holder center the bow instead of sitting inside the bow. Should feel well balanced in hand. Maybe you should get one and be a field tester and give us a report. By the way, the inexpensive Selway quiver has a rubber hood that weighs like a boat anchor, get the leather hood if you go that route. Again I must add, this is my humble opinion
    \"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men.\" - MAURICE THOMPSON, The Witchery of Archery. 1878

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

If you want it drilled, Owen and Tom can do it for you and set it at any angle that you like. I am sure the cost will be very minimal. I have always used and like the Kwikee(sp?).
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

tradorion Coots

If you are talking drilling then I got to say i do LOVE my Kwikee... i have a Kwik 3 and a 6... they fit the same bracket and i have additional brackets on a tree screw and on a hip quiver system for that with 2 quivers i have 6 options and for a grand total of about $55...

On the Cabela's thing... you can order from them, try it an return it if it doesn't suit... that is there very best aspect in my opinion...

R

longbow, that's what I thought about the rubber Selway. It seemed awfully heavy to put on one side of the bow. I like the leather Selway one, but I hadn't planned on spending that much on a quiver. Heck, that would make the quiver more valuable than my bow.

trad, I like the Kwikee. It only uses one mounting screw, right? I can install a mounting bolt with my drill press, I just need to find out what size and where to put it. Are the mounts a special type (press fit) or are they like the brass inserts you can find at most hardware stores?
    ~ George Washington

Had another thought about quivers. One reason I like the Selway is that it is easy/quick/quiet to remove from the bow in a stand or blind. This can come in handy. Great Northern prolly not as easy. Just something else to consider. I've got the leather capped Selway so I can't comment on the weight of the "rubber headed" one. Has a bad ring to it, though.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I use the Kwikee 3. I am pretty sure all Kwikee brackets are installed with 2 bolts. The nice thing about the 3 is that you can adjust the angle of the quiver. It is tight at the top with 3 broadheads but works.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

tradorion Coots

Woodie- my apologies on missing your last question about the Kwikee... the packet of bolts comes with a set of wood screws that you can screw straight into the riser OR Owen and Tom can get you the inserts needed to drill the riser and put permanent AMO sized fittings in for various quiver attachment.

R

I picked up a Kwickee Kompound (6 arrow) quiver yesterday since my buddy wants me to go hunting with him in the morning. Ordinarily I wouldn't consider it yet, but I've been pretty darn accurate with both field and broadheads the last two days as long as I stay within 15 yds.

I bit my tongue and mounted it since my bow isn't a collector's item. It looks good, but no matter how tight I put the arrows in, with heads tight, and identifiable loose "things", I get a buzzing sound when I shoot with the quiver on. I even sanded the back of the bracket to make sure it fit tightly against the riser. I'll play with it more tonight and if I can't solve it I'll just take it off in the blind. I might have to take another look at the angle I installed it to see if there's too much torque or something going on.
    ~ George Washington

You might try mounting a thin piece of felt between the quickee bow bracket and the bow or even wrapping the quiver bracket (what slides in the bow bracket) with felt or "archers tape" to tighten it up in the bracket. Some of the quivers I have seen come with a thumb screw of some sort that tightens the quiver within the bracket.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

I did put the thin piece of rubber that comes with it between the riser and the bracket, so that's secure, and it does have a thumb screw to tighten it. I also put a piece of tape over the spring to keep it from buzzing.

I played with it more this evening and found two simple things:

1. After putting the arrows (with broadheads) in the quiver shaft holder I pushed them up until they were nice and tight. It was the field heads that wouldn't tighten up;

2. Being careful about positioning the fletchings so that they didn't rub/buzz against each other when vibrated.

Those two steps seem to quiet it down quite a bit.
    ~ George Washington