Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Youth deer day

Do you actually believe anyone gives a contribution to any politician to influence youth day?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Do you actually believe anyone gives a contribution to any politician to influence youth day?
    Oh boy! My wheels have been turning on this question since this topic started. Here is what I have come up with as a likely scenario;

It goes back to the legislatures desire to change the rules on the conservation bank doling out our money. You mentioned allowing "public access" last week. You mentioned "youth hunts" specifically. As a land owner who wants to use other people's money to better their property and receive tax incentives. I can think of no better scenario than creating a "youth day" when it's 105 degrees out and little to no interest to participate. Because we all know it's not about "public access". It's about the money! It always is.

I admittedly think the worse of the legislature. Unfortunately y'all have done nothing to make anyone believe otherwise. I just find it hard to believe that in the middle of the "shit show" in Columbia that someone came up with this idea to enrich our lives with a "youth hunt" when so many other major issues need to be dealt with.

I have tried to refrain from this because it will probably do no good anyway. I will keep it simple.

Scenario 1. August 10: 103 degrees, mosquitos everywhere, food in every field, mostly nocturnal deer due to high heat, maybe one will walk 5 minutes before dark in a bean field within 300 yards. (Tough shot for a kid)

Scenario 2. A month ago January 6. 39 degrees . Everything frozen up. No food in the fields. Every deer within a square mile coming to any food source because most clubs around you have quit feeding. Saw 19 deer between 3:30 and 5:00 when my son killed a nice buck. We could only see 80 yards. Took 3 kids and batted 1.000. All of my friends’ kids went over 90%.

Sometimes politicians should just stick to ........we’ll, when I come up with something, I will let you know.

This legislation added a set day to DNR's ability to have other youth days.

It does not force you to allow youth to hunt your private land. It allows. With the new legislation you can choose early, late, both or none.

But of course it is a conspiracy to shake down our good buddies for more contributions and repaying favors to our donors,,, who are just dying to take other peoples kids hunting. If you are that unhappy with government run. Sign up is March 15-30.

So if I’m reading this now the same way I read it in the beginning a buck only youth day is being added by the legislature the Saturday prior to the opening of the season and DNR can still have the youth days we have now at their discretion?

I don’t see what the problem is with this. Hell, if if anything it’s a net gain with zero loss. Why is that bad?

The only question I have is how is the youth day going to be handled in GZ’s 1 and 2? Rifle season opens 10/11 so the youth day would be on what is most often the only weekend during ML season. Will youth be hunting with Regular firearms on this day?

Or will it be the Saturday before bow season opens? (That will stir up another hornets nest for sure, lol)

Lolz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A day must be held on the Saturday before the regular Game Zone season framework for hunting antlered deer only.

It would open the Saturday before the gun season for bucks open. Each game zone will be different.

I will just add the language next week to make sure DNR gives a youth day after the season also. They have the ability to do that now. This bill continues to allow DNR to pick other days.

Cool.

Then it is settled. Alert the town crier.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    I am in favor.
    Buck or doe for both.
    Can’t be shooting does in August.

The rules for this forum were to have cordial discussion without the usual SCDucks pissing match.

Tell me your plan for how to get kids involved in hunting.
    We have a great time on youth day..

We release a gaggle of hounds and line up like a firing squad with single barrels and shoot herds of deer as they cross the road..

Does, bucks and yearlings (ie brown deer) dying in large quantities is the daily objective..

Hunting a week before the season (whose opener already happens too early) is a terrible plan..

Heat, mosquitoes, and snakes wouldn’t bother a little kid whose father is steeped in the outdoors, but a kid new to the sport would likely not have a fun experience..

And you can’t score deer with velvet anyway..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Buck tags Bo!

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    We have a great time on youth day..

We release a gaggle of hounds and line up like a firing squad with single barrels and shoot herds of deer as they cross the road..

Does, bucks and yearlings (ie brown deer) dying in large quantities is the daily objective..

Hunting a week before the season (whose opener already happens too early) is a terrible plan..

Heat, mosquitoes, and snakes wouldn’t bother a little kid whose father is steeped in the outdoors, but a kid new to the sport would likely not have a fun experience..

And you can’t score deer with velvet anyway..

You're late to the party and missed some stuff, bo.

Is anyone opposed to an early day and a late day?
    Not if the season opened October 1st for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    Not if the season opened October 1st for everyone.
    Shots fired.

Add a 3 buck limit to the bill too. And telecheck.

With a 4.5 month season as it is, there shouldn't be a youth day. Every day is youth day for my kids, unless they can't go due to studying or such...But I'll let them shoot as I'm not selfish..
    "The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

"Some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters." - Archibald Rutledge

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    Shots fired.

Add a 3 buck limit to the bill too. And telecheck.

Booooooooo!