Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Youth deer day

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    The rules for this forum were to have cordial discussion without the usual SCDucks pissing match.

Tell me your plan for how to get kids involved in hunting.
    My plan, if I had a young child, would be the same now as it was when my son was born. I took him with me, every time he wanted to go. I introduced him to hunting young, and thereafter, any time I was going, he was welcome to tag along and he usually did. I taught him what little I did know, and he learned a lot on his own. Whether youth day is when it is 116 degrees the first week of August or in January, its all the same. It is not when you take them, it is THAT YOU TAKE THEM."

How does changing the day from January to August change anything about getting kids involved? It does not change one thing. It was just change for the sake of change. Nothing was accomplished.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

This forum has been created so that we can have meaningful discourse with our elected officials, wildlife professionals, and others without all the usual derailment and attacks that we so enjoy in the other forums.

We are lucky to have legislators who are willing to keep us updated on pending laws, and are willing to hear what we have to say on the subject.

In this forum there will be 3 kinds of threads. These threads WILL pertain to Woods, Water, or Wildlife ONLY. Either you are posting-

A. On a law that is being proposed in the SOUTH CAROLINA General Assembly

B. You are posting about a current law that is on the books

C. You are posting to propose new legislation

All other threads WILL be deleted. No Common Core or Obamacare or any of the rest.

There will be no personal attacks in this forum period. Mods included. You will be banned in a heartbeat.

There will be no cursing.

You will act as if you were sitting at a boardroom table talking to your representatives in person.

I realize that many of you are incapable of following these rules, so I suggest that you stay out of here and not risk being banned on all the forums.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    My daughter loves deer hunting. This year, with all the tags etc she looked at me one day & said, "why in the world do we need all this crap just to kill a deer". This was after she shot one & we were wading through the over 40 tags we had to get the correct one. I said honey, you know when we go and vote for people to work in govt. This is what they do. She said, "I thought they had more important things they did".

Plain and simple through the eyes of a 14 year old.

I believe that is what the youth day accomplishes. Barriers are removed so kids can get hooked on something besides an electronic device.
    I think you missed the whole point of Mars Bluff's post. Either that, or you deflected it nicely.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

I used to hunt deer a lot. The first day of the season ALWAYS had more deer alive than the last. Period.

A youth day removes the barriers to hunt. It really does not effect the children of hunters. It affects the kids who do not have opportunities. It gives you the opportunity to create a hunter out of a kids who may not have a Dad or parent who is interested in hunting.

Our children have opportunity and encouragement. Government does not have a role to create hunters. Unfortunately, regulations on hunting have created barriers. This is an attempt to open it up for one day out of the year when the deer are the most populated. No you can't shoot a doe. When I hunted deer it became more difficult to see deer after the rut was over. I doubt that has changed. Your kid can shoot a doe during the season.

How many of you actually took a kid, other than your own, to youth day this year? Are you willing to let them shoot a buck before you can hunt?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

The rules for this forum were to have cordial discussion without the usual SCDucks pissing match.

Tell me your plan for how to get kids involved in hunting.
    Make a youth only day in October. Of course you can take a kid hunting any day and we should but the reality is more youth would be in the woods then at the best time of the season with better weather and when most hunters are in full hunting mode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'm asking because I have no idea, but who carries these kids hunting on the designated youth days? Do non-hunters carry these kids? I'm guessing that 100% of the kids are guided by adults who hunt & pay for licenses etc.

Those kids probably have a great time then they find out that gotta take a hunters ed class to get a license etc. This, IMO has hurt youth hunting in this state. I took hunters ed in Jr High & enjoyed it. It was offered & I had to be there anyway so why not. It's different when you gotta give a day & go take the class & pay for it.

I'm personally not willing to take a kid hunting when it's 100 degrees outside. I'm not even willing to hunt in that heat period. So as far as I'm concerned you costed a kid an extra day in a deer stand. Period.

I believe that is what the youth day accomplishes. Barriers are removed so kids can get hooked on something besides an electronic device.
    To what barriers are you referring? My plan to get kids involved in hunting is to take them early and often. I don't need you to set aside a specific day for me to be a parent.

SC deer season, low country specifically, doesn't set up well for a youth season. In other states that have all this stuff figured out, the youth day allows kids to GUN hunt before the general firearms season comes in. Who wants to do that in early August? The late youth day is the best option in that regard even though it is after the deer have been hunted for 4.5 months.

I can see an early rifle youth weekend in the Upstate the weekend before general rifle season. But to put a youth day in early August is just ludicrous.

I used to hunt deer a lot. The first day of the season ALWAYS had more deer alive than the last. Period.

A youth day removes the barriers to hunt. It really does not effect the children of hunters. It affects the kids who do not have opportunities. It gives you the opportunity to create a hunter out of a kids who may not have a Dad or parent who is interested in hunting.

Our children have opportunity and encouragement. Government does not have a role to create hunters. Unfortunately, regulations on hunting have created barriers. This is an attempt to open it up for one day out of the year when the deer are the most populated. No you can't shoot a doe. When I hunted deer it became more difficult to see deer after the rut was over. I doubt that has changed. Your kid can shoot a doe during the season.

How many of you actually took a kid, other than your own, to youth day this year? Are you willing to let them shoot a buck before you can hunt?
    That's a very well thought out and emotionally fueled post that basically says nothing.

I took my nephew on his first deer hunt this year. He shot a doe and you would have thought he had killed the biggest deer in the world. Some people will never understand that I guess. Maybe I should tell him there isn’t a record book for does and kick him in the nuts.

And to your point regarding dialogue. If you really wanted that you would have brought this up in here BEFORE the bill had been written and passed instead of coming in here bragging about it and getting lippy when the citizenry didn't sing your praises.

Is it meant to be a "big brother" style program with a list of kids that would like to go, but have no place to go? If so, I was unaware.

Barriers are removed but you can't shoot a doe?

By removing barriers, I'm thinking shooting one from the window of an air conditioned truck whilst drinking a Grape Ape & eating powdered donuts. Then maybe going back at dark & using a Q-Beam. That's removing barriers!

. I took hunters ed in Jr High & enjoyed it. It was offered & I had to be there anyway so why not. It's different when you gotta give a day & go take the class & pay for it.
    Man those were the days. I took it 2 years in a row just because it was fun back then and we had a shooting contest, which I won both years.
    Barriers are removed but you can't shoot a doe?

By removing barriers, I'm thinking shooting one from the window of an air conditioned truck whilst drinking a Grape Ape & eating powdered donuts. Then maybe going back at dark & using a Q-Beam. That's removing barriers!
    I like the way your thinkin

Ha!!!Again his true colors are shining through!!!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

There were more hunters young & old prior to any youth days being put into law. Prime example of more laws not working. It just causes confusion & stress & this is why there are less hunters today. There are many people I'd like to introduce to hunting that won't do it because of the licenses, classes etc. They just feel like it's not worth it to learn & go through all that just to harvest an animal. Had a guy tell me not so long ago that he'd like to try duck hunting but he just felt like there were too many rules & regs to keep up with AND HE's RIGHT. There is!!!He's in his early 20's & has never had the opportunity. Now, he'd have to go take hunters ed etc just to go try it. Youth day doesn't help him.

I think making it buck only was a real missed opportunity also. First deer a kid sees whether buck or doe shoulda been free to take. Watching does for an hour & not being able to take one would prob discourage more than encourage. We all have that happy trigger finger especially on the first hunt. They wouldn't give a damn about those horns.

Why not pass a law allowing us to import BIG OLD BUCKS from other states Then everyone can have a chance to make the book, and that will definitely encourage more people to become hunters.
    Last edited by JJ1965; 02-16-2018 at 10:57 AM.

It makes me mad every time I see a kid holding a huge buck that he shot out of his dad's stand. Two reasons...
    1- he/she more than likely put in ZERO time, money and effort to deserve a buck like that.
    2- he/she would've been just as happy with a 90" 8pt.

It's all about dad beating his chest, not about the kids happiness.

There were more hunters young & old prior to any youth days being put into law. Prime example of more laws not working. It just causes confusion & stress & this is why there are less hunters today. There are many people I'd like to introduce to hunting that won't do it because of the licenses, classes etc. They just feel like it's not worth it to learn & go through all that just to harvest an animal. Had a guy tell me not so long ago that he'd like to try duck hunting but he just felt like there were too many rules & regs to keep up with AND HE's RIGHT. There is!!!He's in his early 20's & has never had the opportunity. Now, he'd have to go take hunters ed etc just to go try it. Youth day doesn't help him.

I think making it buck only was a real missed opportunity also. First deer a kid sees whether buck or doe shoulda been free to take. Watching does for an hour & not being able to take one would prob discourage more than encourage. We all have that happy trigger finger especially on the first hunt. They wouldn't give a damn about those horns.
    Preach!