Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Sunset

Duck, I have asked but always get a vague answer. Is it in no way period possible to get SCDNR out from under the state Legislature /GA- and yes knowing that we are a Legislative state in charter, as in now way period ever? If there is even a slim chance or amendment pathway of sorts could you outline it for me, in pm if need be.
    Genesis 9;2

Every agency is budgeted through the general fund. While DNR gets a lot of federal tax dollars, it depends on the state funding.

DNR is a cabinet agency of the Governor. He selects the board members (generally large donors). The board selects the director. All require the advice and consent of Senate.

There are very few instances where an elected body freely gives up control of something. We did create an independent ethics committee so you can never say never.

The legislature has put DNR in charge of some things. The youth day for example. Of course we are meddling with that now.

As long as the legislature controls the budget, it can effect DNR policy.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 02-18-2018 at 09:49 PM.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Everything rolls back to the old Game Zone 6...

So how was it that the legislature gained control over turkey season bag limits? s
    Genesis 9;2

They simply wrote a bill that became a state staute setting season and limits for each game zone. It was easy process for them to take over the Upstate. The push came with SC Sportsman Caucasus years ago. Rep Michael Pitts told me once the GA in the past had SCDNR restock deer and turkey and they did a good job but now the GA was going to manage the resources and DNR were merely one of many advisory committees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

It is the desire of the legislature to maximize a sustainable level of the harvest of game animals.

DNR will typically be more conservative on limits. Hunters want more liberal limits. The legislator wants to get re-elected.

The public can influence legislators through the election process. They would not be able to touch bureaucrats through elections.

How would you propose to balance DNR proposals with the publics desire?

DNR wants the month of April and 3 birds
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    April 1 - May 5 and I will be happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Florence had a 2 bird season and one month set by DNR.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    The public can influence legislators through the election process. They would not be able to touch bureaucrats through elections.

How would you propose to balance DNR proposals with the publics desire?
    I am pretty sure you and the rest of the general assembly understand how wildlife commission are structured in other states. Still political but to a much lesser a degree. In those states legislators seem more interested in governing instead having their hand in everything that state agencies should do. They are content with oversight instead using wildlife like political carrots. Some in GA wish the legislators that want to manage wildlife would allow SCDNR function as a true agency because they don't like those calls when they have no idea how to manage natural resources.

The Jim Crow era that created a powerful legislating branch is much of SC problem. It is shame to walk in the chambers with a floor debate over catfish limits,a crow season or flounder size limit yet it happens.

If you use the argument that the GA is responsible for the 3 tag limit and think that giving control to the DNR will change that then you are dead wrong. Charles Ruth has openly stated he'd have recommended a 3 bird limit for SC even in the highest recruitment years and has never supported 5 tags. Best to accept that and move on with something like season dates as having some potential for change. I really, really liked 5 tags and a 30 day season but fat difference that makes.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    I am pretty sure you and the rest of the general assembly understand how wildlife commission are structured in other states. Still political but to a much lesser a degree. In those states legislators seem more interested in governing instead having their hand in everything that state agencies should do. They are content with oversight instead using wildlife like political carrots. Some in GA wish the legislators that want to manage wildlife would allow SCDNR function as a true agency because they don't like those calls when they have no idea how to manage natural resources.

The Jim Crow era that created a powerful legislating branch is much of SC problem. It is shame to walk in the chambers with a floor debate over catfish limits,a crow season or flounder size limit yet it happens.

Why is it a shame? Those issues are important to some of you and some of us.

Bills are introduced into either body. The are referred to a committee and the a sub-committee. If the bill is heard, the PUBLIC can speak. Yes actually communicate. We don't tolerate too much of the government sucks discourse or you are a pompous ass name calling, but we do want to hear from you. You sign up wait your turn and tell us your opinion.

Many groups testify. Like Ducks Unlimited, Audubon, Camo Coalition... They claim to weak for thousands of you who chose not to come.

All meetings are announced at least 24 hours in advance but generally a week.

No one wants to hear you get the government you deserve. I agree we deserve better. That is why I serve. That is why I bring issues before you. That is why I take the abuse. This site could be a strong influence in the legislature. We have made a difference. These posts are followed by DNR and others.

We just need to communicate about the issues, stick to the issue, and seek to positively influence our state.

I love hunting. I hate politics. This entire conversation makes me want to throw up.
    \"Go to Know\"

We don't tolerate too much of the government sucks discourse or you are a pompous ass name calling, or I'll passive aggressively threaten to knock your teeth out
    FIFY

With SC ranking low is so many different areas seems like catfish would take a back seat and be delegated while y'all worked on roads and bridges and avoiding SCANA like debacles. Many of your colleagues wish your caucuses was not so determined to manage wildlife. It is seldom the case SC legislators are doing it right and everyone else wrong. Wildlife is political carrots in SC.

DNR is going to recommend what is easiest for them. The GA is going to lean towards the loudest voices. Rarely is either of those the best solution. SC has very diverse habitat from Charleston to Greenville. A uniform state wide season and limit is just plain stupid, be it for deer or turkeys.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Florence had a 2 bird season and one month set by DNR.
    So did plenty of other counties. That didn’t mean that a Florence resident couldn’t kill 2 in Florence, 2 in Sumter, and 1 in Darlington under the old 5 bird limit.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

So did plenty of other counties. That didn’t mean that a Florence resident couldn’t kill 2 in Florence, 2 in Sumter, and 1 in Darlington under the old 5 bird limit.
    Other game zones could kill more.

But with deer hunting the number of tags went along with the number of acres.

Other game zones could kill more.

But with deer hunting the number of tags went along with the number of acres.
    Correct. The number of doe tags your property received was based on the size of the tract and the deer population. There was some number of counties that had a 2 bird limit, but the individual hunter still received 5 tags.

I still stand by my statement that DNR wants a 3 bird limit and the month of April as the season.