View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the outlawing of male turkey decoys?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would support outlawing all male turkey decoys

30 17.14%
  • I would not support outlawing male turkey decoys

34 19.43%
  • I would rather outlaw male decoys than cut the limit

20 11.43%
  • I would support outlawing fanning/reaping only

13 7.43%
  • I hate new laws

78 44.57%
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Outlawing male turkey decoys

No TSS, no drilled and tapped, no Buice trumpets, no custom Russell snake boots, no TFC hats, no NOMAD gear, and most importantly no greenleaf 870s. I will not waver on these demands.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Outlaw all decoys. Turkey seasons started on the coastal properties by clubs that allowed the state to introduce Turks to the properties and those properties protected the birds until the state assessed that there was a huntable and sustainable population. That is where what y'all know as a turkey season comes from. Mostly private land owners that cared. When seasons were opened we hunted by roosting and calling. Make the bird come and you will get more satisfaction from the hunt. Leave the mojo in the store.

I will blow one up with TNT for an insta pic. Wile E coyote style
    cut\'em

Buck. Kilt my first one wearing docksiders, pair of blue jeans and a yellow sandpipers social club t-shirt. Hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by bucknfloat2 View Post
    Outlaw all decoys. Turkey seasons started on the coastal properties by clubs that allowed the state to introduce Turks to the properties and those properties protected the birds until the state assessed that there was a huntable and sustainable population. That is where what y'all know as a turkey season comes from. Mostly private land owners that cared. When seasons were opened we hunted by roosting and calling. Make the bird come and you will get more satisfaction from the hunt. Leave the mojo in the store.
    Should I restrict myself any further? I have yet to find real satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    I don't know if I qualify as a "turkey poet" or not, but I will fully admit that turkeys are dumb as hell. In fact, that's exactly why I don't think strutter decoys should be legal. When a dominant tom sees it, he HAS TO fight it. He has no control over himself or his actions and he will pay attention to nothing else while he's kicking the shit out of said plastic turkey. It's pathetic to kill a turkey when he is in that state of in-awareness, to me. Folks can kill turkeys however they(legally) want, but I have done it that way and it gave me absolutely zero satisfaction or feeling of accomplishment, Therefore, any time I'm asked, I will say that I'm all for them being outlawed, but I'm not up there protesting at the State House.
    So where do we draw the line for the dumb turkeys?

Why is a hen decoy ok but a strutter isn't? Should we outlaw hunting an hour before sunset since it's pretty easy to ambush one on the way to the roost. What about shooting one off the roost? The range you can kill turkeys with tss helps get rid of the need for a decoy. Better include that too. Red dots too. And definitely chufa.

I could go on but the point is there are plenty of things that I don't like. Some of the things you do I think are stupid and vice versa. I'd bet more birds are killed in food plot and in their strut zones than are killed with a decoy. But usually a hunter convinces himself that he called that bird in and "it came in silent bo". But plenty of times they were where the bird wanted to be and they would have been there without some "light calling". Personally I'd rather see someone call a bird, get it interested, and kill it over a decoy than ambush it.

But it doesn't matter to me. I'll hunt how I want and not try to come up with new laws because I can't kill 5 birds anymore. The change in the limit isn't because of hunting practices. Turkey numbers are down across the state. My farm has seen it. And it isn't because of decoys.

FACT.....You can put an metro ATL faggot (never picked up a gun much less hunted) in a field with a strutter decoy for the day and he'll get a shot at a gobbler!
    Take the decoy away and give him a Buice trumpet, a NOMAD vest, and a greenleaf dipped 870 with a FF3 loaded with TSS, and he'll struggle to make anything happen!
    End of story, it's the biggest crutch in the game for someone "wanting" to be a turkey hunter.....period!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Why yall singling out Buice trumpets??

They are only as good as the man running them....
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    ... there is someone in Columbia now that knows turkeys and cares about them and getting things right.
    Really?? I hope you're right and I'm wrong about that.......

I have a foam bubba jake and hen decoy in the game bag of my vest. It is amazing how much more comfortable they make my back while sitting against a tree.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

I've never owned a strutter decoy. That's my contribution to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHeadRocker View Post
    I've never owned a strutter decoy. That's my contribution to the thread.
    I have a strutter decoy that I won at a banquet some years ago. Its in a green mesh bag, and may be hanging somewhere in my cluttered up garage, but I have no idea where. When turkey season ends this season, it will still be hanging in that bag wherever it is.

Should I be ashamed that I own it, or proud that I don't use it?
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    I think folks will resort to some pretty unethical shit to get a picture for the InstaLife.
    You may be right, idk.

Let me ask this, is there a difference in someone killing a turkey and posting it on here and getting a few pages of comments and someone posting a dead turkey on fb/Instagram and getting 20-30 likes?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Did kayak start this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    You may be right, idk.

Let me ask this, is there a difference in someone killing a turkey and posting it on here and getting a few pages of comments and someone posting a dead turkey on fb/Instagram and getting 20-30 likes?
    "Likes" make the world go round bo.

Get with the program.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    Did kayak start this thread.
    No, but he did kill three gobblers over 26 lbs last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    You may be right, idk.

No. There is absolutely no difference. Social Media has exposed a lot of "outdoorsmen" for being the pieces of shit that they truly are, and it's damn sure not exclusive to turkey hunting......

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    No, but he did kill three gobblers over 26 lbs last year.
    Least he is letting the big ones live.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    No. There is absolutely no difference. Social Media has exposed a lot of "outdoorsmen" for being the pieces of shit that they truly are, and it's damn sure not exclusive to turkey hunting......
    I agree 100%
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

@evashockey @mossyoak @FYI
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213