View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the outlawing of male turkey decoys?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would support outlawing all male turkey decoys

30 17.14%
  • I would not support outlawing male turkey decoys

34 19.43%
  • I would rather outlaw male decoys than cut the limit

20 11.43%
  • I would support outlawing fanning/reaping only

13 7.43%
  • I hate new laws

78 44.57%
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Outlawing male turkey decoys

I have never given a damn if I step on toes here. That fact is it's true that feeders attract turks long after they are turned off. Two weeks ain't shit.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    If you really want to save the gobblers why not push for feeders to be cut off Jan. 1st instead of the way it is now. Turkeys become addicted to those damn things and stay that way for months after they are turned off. A decoy is not half the problem those are.
    I swear, just when I think you can't top the last stupid motherfuckin statement/turkey opinion you put on here!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I have never given a damn if I step on toes here. That fact is it's true that feeders attract turks long after they are turned off. Two weeks ain't shit.
    BULLSHIT!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

The Labluvr show is starting early this year it looks like.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

One thing about Cromer, don't expect many dead turkey photos form him.... at least not 2018 photos... or '17 or '16, or '15... you get the drift..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    One thing about Cromer, don't expect many dead turkey photos form him.... at least not 2018 photos... or '17 or '16, or '15... you get the drift..
    What do you expect??...he turns his feeders off on Jan 1.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Hell I just filled my feeders up. Can’t wait til the first week in May.

If you really want to save the gobblers why not push for feeders to be cut off Jan. 1st instead of the way it is now. Turkeys become addicted to those damn things and stay that way for months after they are turned off. A decoy is not half the problem those are.
    This is incredibly ignorant
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I admit I made a mistake in saying months. I should have said for weeks. Say what you want but that is the behavior I witnessed when we had feeders for hogs in the swamp. For a long time after shutdown the turks kept coming back. My idea is no more ignorant than yours Boozer. Woowee, I not only stepped on some toes, I must have kicked someone in dat ass!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

I admit I made a mistake in saying months. I should have said for weeks. Say what you want but that is the behavior I witnessed when we had feeders for hogs in the swamp. For a long time after shutdown the turks kept coming back. My idea is no more ignorant than yours Boozer. Woowee, I not only stepped on some toes, I must have kicked someone in dat ass!
    My assertion is that male turkey decoys enhance the opportunity to harvest a gobbler.

Your assertion is that turkeys become “addicted” to a feeder and will habitually visit it for months after it is empty like moths to a flame.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

My assertion is you all suck.

Yes and my assertion is already backed by law with the 10 day rule. I'm saying the 10 day rule is not nearly long enough. Your position is not on books and probably will never be. Now, whose so ignorant?

Unlawful to hunt or take a wild turkey by means of bait or on or over any baited area (SC 50-11-510). Bait means placing, depositing, exposing, distributing, or scattering of salt, corn, wheat, or other grain, or foodstuffs to constitute a lure or attraction for wild turkeys. An area remains a baited area for ten days following the complete removal of all bait. NOTE: The following activities can result in a baited area if done prior to or during turkey season: planting, discing or manipulating chufa to expose the tubers; mowing or manipulating standing grain crops where grain is scattered or exposed; top sowing of any grains; bait or feed intended for other species.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

I only use deer corn, and put signs on my feeders letting them know that.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Try that apple flavored corn, it’s like meth.

Yea, big buck corn ain't what it used to be.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

After two weeks. It's more about the hens. They will hang around the food sources and anchor down on the area once they start laying eggs. They've already done that by the time folks shut down feeders. Toms are where the willing hens are and I agree two weeks won't make a difference as you said. I don't do it but pre-season feeding is legal and it just plain works, folks should at least admit that is why they do it to hold turkeys. Why else would they wouldn't go to the effort? IMO legalizing baiting in the upstate for deer and folks running feeders probably did more to move turkeys around the last couple years than any other influence. Notice I said upstate, small tracts of land. Don't give a hang about the lower half of the state or large tracts of land where you aren't concerned with the neighbors and folks have run feeders for a century.

I live on a 200+ acre farm that has had turkeys normally roam across it for 25 years. The area usually holds 2-4 mature toms, a few jakes and 12-15 hens. A fellow moved in a 1/4 mile away three years ago and runs a feeder year round in his back yard. That bunch of turkeys spend 90% of the year roosting behind that house. They still roam across the farm once in a while during spring and fall but it has become a much rarer occurrence. I don't mind, I just go find turkeys where they are and where I can hunt them legally, but I won't deny that feeding changes things. That is just one example I've experienced. Tear it to shreds, make me out to be an idiot but if you feed pre-season you are just fooling yourself if you think it won't tip the odds somewhat.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Thanks Spur, at least someone else on here can see the light. I too have experienced a shift in turkey numbers since the upstate corn baiting started. For instance, this year I have more chufa planted than ever and the turks simply aren't around. This is quite the contrast to the past when they would have eaten every bit of it by now. Maybe it's feeders, maybe it's not, but is sure makes one question things. There are pictures after pictures on here with turks under the feeders. To deny impact is simply being blind or NOT wanting to admit it.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 02-28-2018 at 08:52 AM.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Thanks Spur, at least someone else on here can see the light. I too have experienced a shift in turkey numbers since the upstate corn baiting started. For instance, this year I have more chufa planted than ever and the turks simply aren't around. This is quite the contrast to the past when they would have eaten every bit of it by now. Maybe it's feeders, maybe it's not, but is sure makes one question things. There are pictures after pictures on here with turks under the feeders. To deny impact is simply being blind or NOT wanting to admit it.

I agree with you 100%. The ones disagreeing are running feeders and don't want people to think any less of them for doing so. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    My assertion is you all suck.
    My assertion is I agree
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Last year you blamed Pine plantations in tree farmers. This year it is corn and feeders is the reason you have no turkeys... What will the excuse to be next to your Paul?
    Spur, if you have a neighbor running a feeder right through the season of course it is going to be a major major influence on those birds no question about it. I have someone near me and can't figure it out that has done the same throughout the year as last year I kill two birds that had corn in them. Now, are birds influenced weeks after the fact to an empty feeder... I guess that is debatable but my opinion is absolutely no. However, I have other food sources that they are dialed in on in my opinion stands that after the season begins birds are not influenced by my empty feeders! That said, all of our feeders are set up in chufa patches that must have been hammered on by the deer as well this year due to very poor Acorn production and we do not hunt per se over those chufas to begin with.