Thread: converting pastures

Default converting pastures

I've got some old pastures that I've decided I'd rather plant than mow. They have broomstraw growing and I'm trying to decide whether to burn them before first discing or just disc in the organic matter. Mostly sandy loam soil. I may also spray them with roundup before discing just to kill the grass quicker. What's the conventional wisdom? Is it better to just disc over and over or first get rid of some of the chaff? One advantage of burning is that it will give me one or two more of the burns I need to log for my burn manager cert.

When discing, is there any value in discing deep or should I just go deep enough to cut the roots?

Any other questions I didn't know enough to ask?

What are you wanting to plant?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Burn it disc spray in a month disc again

Burn disc plant or burn spray plant(no-till). No way I’d plow in all the broomsedge and weeds, it’ll cut much better without it. Also, if you plan to lime, spread it just before discing. Broomsedge is an indicator of low pH.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

What are you wanting to get rid of and what are you wanting to plant? I'd burn, spray the fescue or Bermuda a time or two, plant a cover crop of some sort(depending on when you get rid of the pasture grass) and then plant some NWSG, partridge pea, ragweed, and put in some plum and blackberry patches. Maintain with a good winter disc or fire every couple years.

parkers ferry field pic.jpg I have 6 acres of this I want to plant for doves, looks like regular lawn grass- don't know what it is as I just bought the place. Would a sod company want it instead of me disking it under?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    parkers ferry field pic.jpg I have 6 acres of this I want to plant for doves, looks like regular lawn grass- don't know what it is as I just bought the place. Would a sod company want it instead of me disking it under?
    No just disc it under
    cut\'em

I'd just disc it too. I was picturing an old field with knee to waist high broomsedge.

I don’t think there is a min size for your burn certification. Break the block into how ever many burns you need and call them in as separate burns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My fields don't look like the one somebody posted. Mine have substantial broomstraw and maybe a bit of dog fennel. Ultimately, a couple fields will be game food plots...maybe some chufa, clover, annual deer food, etc. Once I get a handle on the smaller fields, I want to turn an 8 acre pasture into a dove field

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

What sporting woodies said is what I do and it works beautifully
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Burn all the fields before you do anything. It’ll make your life much easier.
    For the ducks

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    My fields don't look like the one somebody posted. Mine have substantial broomstraw and maybe a bit of dog fennel. Ultimately, a couple fields will be game food plots...maybe some chufa, clover, annual deer food, etc. Once I get a handle on the smaller fields, I want to turn an 8 acre pasture into a dove field

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    It will be impressive when it burns. Id try to back burn it. Keep the nearby trees in mind. Nearby pines will probably brown up if the flames get high but should be fine. Hardwoods might not be as hardy

Leave it alone, a grown weed Field will hold more deer than a food plot.

bottom plow then disc just my 2cents