Thread: New proposed lower saluda trout refs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    I want to fish it again. I grew up on that section of river. Caught several fish over 3lb and hooked several much larger. Can’t get there on foot with out the law bing called on ya now. And yes i want to keep them. Dam fine eating.
    You can go by foot just got to ask and respect his property
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Go to the SCDNR and do the survey link from there. Probably carry more weight than arguing here. I don't see anything wrong with the catch and release on a mile section of stream myself. I know for a fact that the upper 5 miles of the Davidson river is catch and release and 100% hatchery supported for the sections immediately beside the hatchery. We had the head biologist come and speak to us at a FFF meeting in the mid 90s. I asked if they stocked those upper sections. He said he wasn't paying his techs to chase a half dozen fish out of those troughs when they were moving them, just opened the valves and flushed them to the river. Accounted for the high fish density there and still going on today. Makes for a popular fishing spot and a heck of a draw for money coming into the area. By the way, none of the fish are native, the bows, browns or brooks that are stocked and might take hold.

And what it seems some of you are missing:
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    I believe that FERC relicensing has aided in mandating a reliable CFS in the Saluda river to maintain a certain amount of dissolved oxygen to support a trout fishery.
    I think that is what has been missing? You fix those flows and you just may have sustainable reproduction and the catch and release might not seem so absurd.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 02-08-2018 at 08:29 PM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles