Thread: Fireplace logs

Default Fireplace logs

How big a deal is it to replace vented logs with non vented? My current vented logs with glass in front doesn't seem to heat the room for shit. Seems like majority of the heat goes out the vent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If its in a wood burning fireplace, just swap the logs and close the damper.

If you have a glass front fireplace you have "direct vent". There's no way to close the flue unless you do it manually with something you fabricate. Then all you would have to do is remove the glass and install a set of vent free logs and burner(I don't recommend this). Direct vent fireplaces do not put out as much heat as vent free for obvious reason but are pretty damn efficient. The beauty of them is that they pull their combustible air from outside the home and vent the exhaust outside as well (Clean air in the home). They are a lot better than b-vent fireplaces, which is a fireplace that pulls combustible air from inside the home and vents out (like a wood burner)...those are pretty worthless. The vent free logs, which are common, put out the most heat but also lower your indoor air quality. They pull the air from the home and exhaust into the home as well. Harmful??? No; not with the right burner and log set up. But some people claim they get headaches when in a room with a vent free fireplace. I'm about to put a new fireplace in my home and we are going with a direct vent.

As an NFI certified installer, I'm going to tell you the juice is not worth the squeeze and you should stick with what you have. I would recommend adding a blower before I go switching out my fireplace and/or burner and logs.
    Last edited by reeltight; 02-03-2018 at 09:06 AM.

It has a blower but the logs have to get up to temp before it turns on.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    It has a blower but the logs have to get up to temp before it turns on.

Right...it's just thermostat controlled. You should be able to adjust the thermostat to kick the blower on at a lower temperature or even manually turn it on. Also, in many cases you can get different BTU burner log set ups for different fireplaces. You could potentially have a mismatched burner to SQFT you are trying to heat and may be worth the effort to see if you can get a larger BTU burner that would fit into your existing fireplace. If you can get me the make and model of your fireplace and burner, I can try to help you with options.

my house has a vent free unit. Top has no place for stovepipe or vent of any kind. Guy told me they put ones like mine in place of reg fireplace and work fine. He said vented logs are a wasted, most of heat goes out of chimney
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    my house has a vent free unit. Top has no place for stovepipe or vent of any kind. Guy told me they put ones like mine in place of reg fireplace and work fine. He said vented logs are a wasted, most of heat goes out of chimney
    Sounds like you have an insert...and yes they work great as a standard fireplace or to stick into an old masonry fireplace. B-vented fireboxes and burners/logs, or vented logs that you put in a masonry fireplace are a waste, heat wise. It's more of an ambiance thing.

Direct vent fireplaces are nice and put out sufficient heat without the smell and headaches of vent-free. You don't need a chimney to have a direct vent fireplace if it's installed on an exterior wall. You can terminate them out the side of the house or through the roof.

People push vent free because it's easy, less expensive and a simple install...nor do you have to have a lot of knowledge to know all there is to know about them.
    Last edited by reeltight; 02-03-2018 at 01:16 PM.

yes mine does smell a little but it puts off some heat. I really wanted wood, but working for utility company if disaster hits,im at work. I wanted something the wife could turn on easy to keep my family warm while I'm not there. People cant build fires nowadays for some reason. I know grown men that cant build one with diesel and old tires, much less with a ferro rod
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.