Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Testing the waters...

I fell in to bowhunting over the weekend. My Bro-in-law sold me a High Country Power Force bow for $200 with cobra sight, wisker biscuit, and release aid. We went to see Tom Jeffery, and got it set up. I bought a few arrows, practice quiver, and a shotblocker target. I KNOW I shot this thing over 200 times Sat. and Sun. I am actually sore this morning. I have gotten fairly consistent with 10 yard groups tight. I managed to tear the fletchings off two arrows so far. I have a feeling this will get expensive, quick.

I will be a hell of a lot less expensive than a firearm once you get on target good. Camden wasn't built overnight.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Originally posted by Slaya:
    I have a feeling this will get expensive, quick.
    Yep.

Right there with ya.

I went through 1/2 doz arrahs first week.

Tore the nice turkey feather fletchings off 3 of my second 1/2 dozen.

Uncle lost one of those arrahs.

All kinds of little gadgets to buy...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Yep, Tom told me the bow had the wrong limbsavers on it. So, I reckon I'll change them. Also, going to go ahead and pick up some more arrows, so I don't have to go down range as often. Might try a different release. Need some hang-on stands, climbing sticks, etc.

How many of you use the scent-lock suits? I shot 2 of 3 deer killed last season easily within bow range, but without scent-lock. Is the scent-lock worth the $$? I know how to hunt, control scent, and play the wind. I do get caught occasionally, though.

Originally posted by LabLuvR:
    I will be a hell of a lot less expensive than a firearm once you get on target good. Camden wasn't built overnight.
    My 3 year old broke one arrow that the fletching was torn on (I shot it into the dirt in front of the target- wrong pin. [img]smile.gif[/img] ) And I have one other arrow with a torn fletching- I reckon the wisker biscuit got it.

I was in the heart on the vitals side on 8 out of 12 shots from the lock-on yesterday, in the wind, at 26 yards. 1 shot would have been a miss, and the other 3 were lungs.

I can't wait to see what a broadhead will do to something. I may try and call up a 'yote, or try and find a hog to hunt in a few more weeks. Bro-in-law wants to get me on a gobbler.

I would think that would be quite a feat!

Don't be surprised if the broadhead you choose doesn't fly to the same point as your field points.

I shot some Muzzy 3 and 4 blade 100 gr. points yesterday that LC had. Very little difference in the POI of the Muzzys and the Field Points, also 100 gr. The three blade was almost dead on, and the four blade was consistently only about an inch different. Not too hard to change the sight, but I'd do it on the 4 blade.

I'd like to try the G5 Montek broadheads also, and may pick some up next time I'm in Columbia. LC is shooting Crimson Raptors fixed/mechanical combos. I think I'll start with fixed. I like simple.

I shoot the 3 blade 100gr muzzy and it compares just fine to the field point.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

tradorion Coots

Note to self- you tear up less arrow fletching if you pick different spots to shoot at. DO NOT "chase the arrow" when shooting broadheads as you will WRECK fletching left and right!!

Scent Lok is a waste of good $$-- it does work but you will get alot more/better for your money with a shower, clothes washed in baking soda and air-dried, maybe some spray and MOST OF ALL do indeed PLAY THE WIND.

It is indeed addictive- enjoy it- and welcome to the family!!

R

Go w/ the original Muzzy 3 blade broadheads in either 100 or 125 gr.....

They fly better than anything I've shot and they don't cost as much as most.....
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

i hate it when I agree with Trad...but only shoot the bulls-eye if your buddy's arrow is already there...NOT yours.

if your broadheads fly different than your field points, your bow is not properly tuned.

Only M2Field likes scent lok.

Slaya--the best thing about shooting a bow is shooting the bow. you can't say the same about a rifle...at least I can't. I like to shoot the bow....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

best move I ever made was going to the bow. congrats to ya slaya, you sound hooked already.

scent suits are a gimmick. the wind is not. have several stands for each wind condition.

dont get hung up on all the gadgets and junk. simple is better. imho

practice, alot. or alteast some. i think there is something to over practicing. i think there is nothing to under practicing. either ya got it or ya dont.

buy a good saftey harness system. 2th even wears one. hold on, they even make one big enough for 2th to wear.

i love bowhunting

bowhunting loves me

i am not a pro

2th is
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

tradorion Coots

OH DAMNIT!! 2fer wears a harness and so do i (but we don't wear the same one at the same time)... and i swear we ain't queer bo- well... he may be but i ain't!

That is the single best piece of advice yet- if you are going to climb a tree in any way shape or form- GET A GOOD HARNESS.

R

That is one of the gadgets on the list. I have not worried about it too much in my facing the tree climber for rifle hunting.

HOWEVER, Sunday I climbed up into LC's hang-on that he still has at the back of my property, in the wind, standing up, trying to aim at a target with nothing to lean against, and no hands free, it occurred to me that the harnesses are probably a good thing to have when bow hunting. I want the vest-type harness system (I think). Any reccomendations as to which ones are easy to use/reliable?

I have decided to buy hang-on stands in lieu of climbers, mainly because I have never had a climber that didn't make some noise when you move around in it. Do you all prefer climbing sticks or screw-in steps?

BTW, I lost an arrow this morning before work. Tried to shoot the bottom right bullseye, and went wide right . The arrow skipped off the driveway and went out across the neighbor's yard. I can't find it as yet.

Seat of the Pants. Look on Summits website.

Summit pro series vest, with the lineman's belt (in addition to making hanging stands very easy, the lineman's belt is also a great way to lock in as you step from the climbing sticks to the stand) Millennium hang on stand, and whatever climbing sticks are on sale.

tradorion Coots

CLIMBING STICKS- screw in steps suck for day to day use although they are cool for leaving a tree ready to hunt without the stand.

I absolutely love my Seat O the Pants harness but am also really impressed with the vests out now- whatever you get as noted above make sure it has the ability to do the "lineman's belt" thing as you will be amazed how easy it is to hang stands AND feel secure.

As for not wearing a harness in a climbing stand- start now!! Never seen a stand yet that didn't eventually cause an oooopsie to someone somewhere- $75 is a small price to pay to be able to walk away from the accident and still be walking the rest of your life!!

R

Slaya,

Loc-Ons are great, but Summit makes some really good climbing stands for bowhunting. Stable as hell.A safety belt is essential, not an option!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

That was one of my Summits, I now have 4 more.

Easy to set up and sturdy as hell. You won't be disappointed. I can sit in mine all day and that is saying a lot!! [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
    12-26-98 12-1-13