Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping a rifle

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Prove that, please.
    Do you remember the movie 'a few good men'? Remember the part where Kaffee asked the dude to show him in the handbook where it talks about the mess hall? I probably lost you here, but I'll type this out one more time.

Take the gun, in a box, to a FedEx location of your choice, pay the people, and they'll send it for you.

Or, you can go about making shit harder than it needs to be on principle. Your call really...

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You can't fix stupid. I just tried
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Do you remember the movie 'a few good men'? Remember the part where Kaffee asked the dude to show him in the handbook where it talks about the mess hall? I probably lost you here, but I'll type this out one more time.

Take the gun, in a box, to a FedEx location of your choice, pay the people, and they'll send it for you.

Or, you can go about making shit harder than it needs to be on principle. Your call really...
    It's highly telling that you guys immediately revert to insults all over something as straightforward as this, even though it can be a legal landmine in today's world.

I'm not going to apologize for my tending to do things like this conservatively following any and all laws as it just isn't a big enough deal to fuck up on, but the potential consequences can be very expensive. I'm just not willing to risk being wrong like you guys are, and that's fine with me. It's just sad that you guys can't except that and you have to prove yourself to be tough and right in order to secure your manhood. Whatever...

Do what they say, Birddawg. You may get away with it with no problems. If so, great! If not, don't post up any whiny tales about the big, bad, evil gun police.

Just trying to help a guy from potentially making a mistake that is easily avoided. I'm sorry I bothered.

"All Hail Fish & Griffin!" ... or else ...
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Somehow, this entire thread is the fault of a certain, nameless dentist that will remain nameless, most certainly.

*Spoiler alert!*

It's 2thdoc's fault.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

It's highly telling that you guys immediately revert to insults all over something as straightforward as this, even though it can be a legal landmine in today's world.

I'm not going to apologize for my tending to do things like this conservatively following any and all laws as it just isn't a big enough deal to fuck up on, but the potential consequences can be very expensive. I'm just not willing to risk being wrong like you guys are, and that's fine with me. It's just sad that you guys can't except that and you have to prove yourself to be tough and right in order to secure your manhood. Whatever...

Do what they say, Birddawg. You may get away with it with no problems. If so, great! If not, don't post up any whiny tales about the big, bad, evil gun police.

Just trying to help a guy from potentially making a mistake that is easily avoided. I'm sorry I bothered.

"All Hail Fish & Griffin!" ... or else ...
    Do you have a FFL?
    Last edited by Griffin; 01-31-2018 at 04:03 PM.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61721/download

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
    Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
    Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

Considering today's political climate I would be very concerned to violate any firearm laws. The $25.00 FFL fee is a small price to pay for peace of mind IMO.

Your mileage may vary.

Do you have a FFL?
    No, but I'd rather be cautious and wrong than flippant and wrong. Just my preference. You're obviously free to do whatever you want. No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    https://www.atf.gov/file/61721/download

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
    Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
    Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

Considering today's political climate I would be very concerned to violate any firearm laws. The $25.00 FFL fee is a small price to pay for peace of mind IMO.

Your mileage may vary.
    Thank you, scatter shot. It's nice to see I'm not completely alone in my thinking.

Griffin, here's someone else you can insult so you can be happy with yourself...
    ~ George Washington

Griffin, here's someone else you can insult so you can be happy with yourself...
    *Spoiler alert #2!*

Griffin does what Griffin wants.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Do you have an IUD?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Do you have an IUD?
    Internet university degree?

Based on recent drama, I'd say that's affirmative, cap.

No, but I'd rather be cautious and wrong than flippant and wrong. Just my preference. You're obviously free to do whatever you want. No problem.

Thank you, scatter shot. It's nice to see I'm not completely alone in my thinking.

Don't drag me into this bitch fight
    I just copied and pasted info from the ATF website in attempt to help the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    *Spoiler alert #2!*

Griffin does what Griffin wants.
    So true.

The point I was trying to make to the dumb bastard is that you can legally ship a gun to yourself. Do you really think the ATF is going to show up at your brothers house and ask to see the unopened box? Are you really that scared of your own shadow? Unless you open the fucking box in front of an atf agent there is absloutly zero way to prove a crime was committed. For fuck sake life must be a struggle for you woodieloversc
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

So true.

The point I was trying to make to the dumb bastard is that you can legally ship a gun to yourself. Do you really think the ATF is going to show up at your brothers house and ask to see the unopened box? Are you really that scared of your own shadow? Unless you open the fucking box in front of an atf agent there is absloutly zero way to prove a crime was committed. For fuck sake life must be a struggle for you woodieloversc
    So, just to be clear, you're stating that it is a crime?

But it is your belief that you probably will not get caught?

So, just to be clear, you're stating that it is a crime?

But it is your belief that you probably will not get caught?
    It is not a crime to ship a gun to yourself. Exactly what I originally stated. What happens after that is out of my control and that of the atf. Shipping a long gun via any carrier to oneself is not a crime. The end

Don't drag me into this bitch fight
    I just copied and pasted info from the ATF website in attempt to help the OP.
    And that's all I was trying to do, also, in post #14, before the grumps showed up.

So true.

Griffin, I am well aware I can ship a long gun to myself, intra and inter-state, but that wasn't the point of the OP's question. And if that was all you were really trying to do, instead of showing your grumpy ass, why not just state it as such like the decent guy you're capable of being? Bad day at work? Wife mad at you? Not my problem.

I also don't think it's my business, or yours or anyone else's, to advise a guy to act in an illegal manner, REGARDLESS of whether he and his cousin 'might' get caught in the crime. I apologize if I'm mistaken, but I wasn't aware it was the general written or unwritten policy or practice of SCDucks and it's members to advise each other on how to skirt laws, whether we agree with those laws or not. Damn...

No, sorry, life is not a struggle for me, at least not in any regards that pertain to this thread.

Go have a beer. I've got some ammo to purchase before the night wears out.
    ~ George Washington

Good ol scducks.

One more idea. Just put the NV address you want it shipped to as the return address label and drop it off in the box with no postage. #winning

Just send him a gift certificate to somewhere local for him and tell him to buy himself a Marlin 60. Be about as cheap as paying shipping and two FFL fees.

Buncha gangsters up in here openly conspiring to circumvent the National Firearms Act and Postal Regulations all in the same thread.
    JAB better get a hold of this shit before the Feds roll up in here and shut it down under RICO laws.

You guys have just alerted the world to the fact the man is going to ship to his cousin ,not himself in Nevada. My original statement stands , send it to a FFL holder let your cousin sign for it and continue on.
    Last edited by rrconductor; 01-31-2018 at 10:49 PM.

You guys have just alerted the ATF to a transfer with all this talk. He was wanting to ship to his cousin for his son, just send to a FFL and do it by the correct means and everything is good. And yes Griffin I did have a FFL at one time!