Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Benchmade Knives

Benchmade does hav a pretty nice fixed blade that I'd like to have called the saddle mountain skinner.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Got a couple of them. Been carrying a Peter Herbst design for 17 years. Got a Tanto designed by Bob Lum but, damn thing is a small sword open. They all hold an edge like a razor.
    I've been looking at this one for a pack knife...

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/det...-Drop-Point/43

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I've been looking at this one for a pack knife...

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/det...-Drop-Point/43
    Money done ruint you.....

This one has been hard to beat for the price point. Ran it through the work sharp knife sharpener over the weekend and it has an edge better than when it came from the factory. The only thing I don't like about it is the pocket clip reveals a portion of the knife. I have always been a fan of the "no show" clips that certain knife makers use.

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Pocke...sisted+opening

I had one of these and was less than impressed with the strength of the blade after chipping it while cutting the banding on a stack of lumber.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00180GQJA...ding=UTF8&th=1
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I own several Benchmade and several Spyderco knives. I like both. I have found that Benchmade typically doesn’t harden its steel where it needs to be to take advantage of its high quality steels. For example 154cm at 58 Rc is hardly any better than Buck 420HC. It will edge roll badly. However it you harden it to 62 Rc it is an excellent steel. Problem is that 154cm is a bit brittle at that hardness, and people are forever using knives as screwdrivers and chisels. Factory returns are expensive for a company.

Spyderco, on the other hand emphasizes steel quality and performance. I have knives in S110V and in Maxamet. They are both as hard as Superman’s elbow. The Maxamet is the most amazing steel that I have ever used, but it is not stainless where S110V is. Both are excellent and are hardened properly. I love Benchmade designs but Spyderco does steel better. Bottom line, to me the blade is nearly everything although the handle and action are certainly important.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 01-15-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    If your knife keeps an edge more than a month, you need to take it outta your pocket sometime!
    Yep. I run my knife across a stone at least once a week, some times more often. But, I don't wait for it to get "dull" before I run it across a stone either.

The knowledge of sharpening a knife has apparently been lost over the years. Or maybe it's just that people are lazy, and look for the quick way out.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

I've carried this one for years, and have absolutely no complaints...

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives...black-serrated

Since we are down to the boxcutter level here is what I carry. A Gerber 500. Gave a knife selling friend $15 for it and have carried it constantly since 1994. Flat and rides well in pocket. Holds an edge for months with normal use, means not as a screwdriver. Will cut 1" pull rope with one cut. Has cleaned deer and turkeys as well as other critters. Have used a Lansky sharpener on it and have lost a little bit of the blade over the years in doing so. I've got plenty of other knives but this is the one that goes everywhere.
    0115181321.jpg
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 01-15-2018 at 01:27 PM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I hear ya', Mr. Fancy Socks. How 'bout this one...

138-homemade-weapon.jpg

Where the hell is my knife?

Since we're posting pictures now
    IMG_0396.JPG
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

20180115_134817.jpg

The cleaning knives in my truck or what's in there now. I can sharpen a knife, I've got some inner neck. But edc I'm good with my boxcutter

Just buy a Micro Tech and be done with it. Then you can be one of the cool kids.

I'm not, and I have been please with my Kershaw.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I carry a $20 browning knife in my pocket right now until I loose it. After that, I will buy another cheap one to replace it. I'm not really great at hanging on to a knife enough to spend several hundred bucks on one. I will loose that mofo...

For once I am a cool kid!image.jpg
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Elmax is good steel
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.