Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More bow lift?

Start with the basics....

What is your current RPM at WOT, where is the water breaking along the bottom of the boat while on plane, and is the prop blowing out before you run out of trim on the motor?

Most important factor in bow lift is positive trim and rake on the prop... every HT I have owned had significant negative trim on the transom and most had a hook in front of the transom as well...

Edited for autocorrect.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 12-26-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Start with the basics....

What is your current RPM at WOT, where is the water breaking along the bottom of the boat while on plane, and is the prop blowing out before you run out of trim on the motor?

Most important factor in bow lift is positive and take on the prop... every HT I have owned had significant negative trim on the transom and most had a hook in from today the transom as well...
    Bingo! Set motor so when level it is 3/4" above the transom. Typical starting point but with a jackplate it will probably need to be higher. Too much lower unit in the water will cause the porpoising and reduce your RPM. Once the motor is set to run in clean water you can start experiencing with props. Definitely use a tach or you are just wasting time. I prop with more cup will help raise the bow. As fishsticker mentioned, check the hull with a straight edge for a hook. Hightides were known for building them this way to help combat the weight of heavier motors that some put on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by reeseblank View Post
    I ran a power tech 16p on my old high tide with Yamaha 40
    That really doesn't help much since Power Tech makes a few different blade shapes to fit that motor, some with 3 blades others with 4.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Any good crane operator should carry spreader bars which spread the webbing slings just above the deck. Without these you risk crushing the hull sideways. Actually spreader bar for crane lifting is the most reliable way to lift a boat
    Last edited by davidbarker; 02-05-2019 at 09:24 AM.

you can feel the cup in the prop blade- it will seem concave( cupped in) on the surface facing the back of the boat. My bass boat ran 68 by gps, dinged the prop pretty bad and the prop shop flattened out the cup during the repairs, boat couldn't even hit 60. Took it back and had proper cup restored and it got 69 gps.
    Cup and rake along with motor height and trim and weight distribution are very important for proper performance.

BBC (bass boat central) forum can answer all your questions concerning motor height with the jackplate , you increase the height of the motor x amount for every inch of set back you have, you can also learn all about props there. If you still feel like you need more prop info- look up Propgods.

Quote Originally Posted by davidbarker View Post
    Any good crane operator should carry spreader bars which spread the webbing slings just above the deck. Without these you risk crushing the hull sideways. Actually spreader bar for crane lifting is the most reliable way to lift a boat
    Oh
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Raise the motor up on the jackplate. Then mess with trimming it out (up). Trimming away from the hull will raise the bow until you blow out.