Thread: Basement Drain

Default Basement Drain

So I have a walkout basement and it has been waterproofed and has a drain around the foundation. Currently this drain terminates in the yard and has pop up emitters installed to rid the excess water. Would it be better to remove the pop ups and run the drain an extra 100 feet to a bank and have an open ended pipe? As a homeowner with no experience draining a basement o like the open pipe option because I feel like there's no chance that water can get back in the pipe and there will be a little airflow.

What says the SC Ducks experts? Thanks in advance!

If you leave it open, you leave yourself open to critters clogging it up and calling it home.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Put a screen on the end of it

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Put a screen on the end of it
    This, problem solved
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

So open ended with a screen is a better option than sticking with the pop up emitters that are on there now?

Much better option

Quote Originally Posted by CreekGeek View Post
    So I have a walkout basement and it has been waterproofed and has a drain around the foundation. Currently this drain terminates in the yard and has pop up emitters installed to rid the excess water.
    !
    First, I agree with the recommendations on the screen.

Second, I installed a double set of drain pipe around the basement in case one got crushed or plugged. I no doubt have some critters (chipmunks) in one section of one pipe, but fortunately have never seen a drop of water come out of either pipe in 23 yrs since we built the place. I like to think that part of the reason was because I did all the final elevation work so that no water flows near the foundation from any source or direction... or, I've just been lucky thus far. I probably should get a pet ferret to cruise through the pipes to make sure they're open... hmm... might work...

Third, along that thought, do you have any idea where the water is coming from that is flowing from the drain? If it's surface water coming up to the house, I'd recommend doing something about it because sooner or later your basement's external waterproofing will fail. If it's an underground spring, I have no idea or suggestions on it other than to watch your drains closely.

Congrats on being a new homeowner, or at least a "new home" owner.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Pop ups require pressure to operate and only work when there is a lot of water draining or moving. The pipes is there to move excess water. It is slotted with a drain sock to allow nominal amounts of water to pass through. There’s really no need to extend it 100’ and put a screen on it unless you just have a new shovel you want to use. You can pull the pop up and put a dean fitting on it if you want but you’ll have to keep debris from collecting in it just like you have to keep turf from growing over the pop up.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Be sure to fix your leak, don't just bandage it. It appears the drainage area around your basement isn't adequate. Excavate near the basement wall and install plastic water barrier as well. Do it correctly before*basement renovation

Spammer