Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Residential Construction Questions...

I can't figure out how the hell that ever seemed like a good idea.

Look into taking the NASCLA exam.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Because they like to think that they are always the smartest people in the room...

Oh, and lets not forget the money that dipshit of a Mayor was handing out like free tickets to the fair.

Duck, Never attempted.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Look into taking the NASCLA exam.
    Took it last February. Had the study guide and CD with all the test questions, tabbed the books and took the test. Spent all 5hrs+ taking it. You were supposed to get 10 new test questions, I got 68 new questions on obscure shit in the Green building book, OSHA manual and other stuff. I passed but it took longer than the study exams were taking by 3.5hrs. The regular questions were the exact same as the study guide.

You just have to be familiar with the books, especially code and OSHA.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    How we ever allowed our government to stifle us to this point is beyond me.
    It was done under the guise of them being concerned for our safety
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Took it last February. Had the study guide and CD with all the test questions, tabbed the books and took the test. Spent all 5hrs+ taking it. You were supposed to get 10 new test questions, I got 68 new questions on obscure shit in the Green building book, OSHA manual and other stuff. I passed but it took longer than the study exams were taking by 3.5hrs. The regular questions were the exact same as the study guide.

You just have to be familiar with the books, especially code and OSHA.
    I've seen conflicting things on the LLR regarding the documented work experience. Salty, did you have to submit work experience? Planning to probably take the test next year.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Quote Originally Posted by cusportsman View Post
    I've seen conflicting things on the LLR regarding the documented work experience. Salty, did you have to submit work experience? Planning to probably take the test next year.
    Yes, I submitted a career project list as well as my resume' and told them if they wanted my transcripts I had those as well. I got everything started as a BD2 on a personal financial and have gone to BD4 since. They changed the BD4 from reviewed to certified statements. I just don't want to pay the $8-10K for that audited statement for BD5 when I'm not looking to bid anything over the $1.5M. Might change as I grow but it won't be for a while.

The thing with the NASCLA exam is that for SC if you take that test, you can get your GC, Residential and Construction Manager's Certificate. You just have to take the law portion of the Residential, which is the exact same as the GC side just with a different book. You don't need your Residential to build houses, you're just limited to the constraints of your class on how big you can build. Whereas you can do unlimited in size on RBL but can't do shit on a commercial contract. I just got all of them, over-licensed and over-insured.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Go take the classes for your business law and your residential at contractors seminars in Columbia. I did for commercial business law and my master electrical. Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Yes, I submitted a career project list as well as my resume' and told them if they wanted my transcripts I had those as well. I got everything started as a BD2 on a personal financial and have gone to BD4 since. They changed the BD4 from reviewed to certified statements. I just don't want to pay the $8-10K for that audited statement for BD5 when I'm not looking to bid anything over the $1.5M. Might change as I grow but it won't be for a while.

The thing with the NASCLA exam is that for SC if you take that test, you can get your GC, Residential and Construction Manager's Certificate. You just have to take the law portion of the Residential, which is the exact same as the GC side just with a different book. You don't need your Residential to build houses, you're just limited to the constraints of your class on how big you can build. Whereas you can do unlimited in size on RBL but can't do shit on a commercial contract. I just got all of them, over-licensed and over-insured.

Yep, and the NASCLA is a hell of a lot earlier to pass than the others
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    If you are sticking to residential work all you need is a builders license. That will allow you to pull all trade permits.

A residential builder can not pull trade permits in most jurisdictions. Summerville is a rare exception. A lot of jurisdictions have even stopped allowing owners from pulling trade permits even if they're doing the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    It was done under the guise of them being concerned for our safety
    Building codes do keep people safe and investments protected. Especially in hurricane zones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Edgefield county will a resident pull a permit after a sign off. I think 5000 sq. ft is the cut off.

I wouldn't get a license. Get a licensed contractor to do the work and tell anybody that inspects it that this is the way it was when I bought it. "Didn't have to do a thing"

Thanks for all the advice fellas....many of this info has answered many of my questions. From my knowledge, counties handle obtaining permits different than others. I enjoy helping him doing these things, but one day I will be responsible for all his properties and future investments. Right now, I'm not involved with the financial side of it.....not purchasing items, also not receiving compensations either. He has tried to pay me many times, but I just can't make myself accept money from him for what I will be left when he passes (hopefully not anytime soon.) Therefore, it may do me some good to pursue the GC license now, cause one day I will have many decisions to make for previous properties and really hope to expand more possible future investments. I just could not decide whether to pursue the GC.....or just a sub contractor license.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Government selling you back your right to make a living.
    Amen

G

Quote Originally Posted by carolinawaterfowler View Post
    I just could not decide whether to pursue the GC.....or just a sub contractor license.
    You dont need a GC license to do residential work, you can pull permits with a specialty license for up to a few trades, but your plumber, hvac, and electrician will have to pull their own permits.
    A builders license you can pull all trade permits and mechanical on the same permit given you submit a sub list with their license numbers..at least in Columbia and surrounding areas.

http://www.llr.state.sc.us/POL/Resid...p?file=pub.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Building codes do keep people safe and investments protected. Especially in hurricane zones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Thans for explaining, I had no idea.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...