Thread: Game recipe w/o Bacon?

Some of you are probably asking how can you possibly cook wild game and not use lots of bacon. Well get out yer pencils boys and girls.

Take yer dove breasts, duck parts, yer deer gizzards and any other meat you can scratch up and leave it in the bottom of the fridge for a week or so. Two weeks is better but most non-european folks can't handle that.

Take a big bowl and give her a shot of bourbon, [img]graemlins/alkie.gif[/img] redwine vinegar, dried mustard and lots of granulated garlic and put the carcasses in the marinate. The amount of marinate will of course depend on the amount of carcasses. Marinate for two days stirring every once in a while.

Olive oil in a cast iron skillet...smoking, add your carcasses with your choice of breading or batter, go easy on the salt. Personally, I like a batter with flour, egg and beer. You can probably see a pattern developing here where alcohol is a recurring ingredient. This is no accident. [img]graemlins/drinky.gif[/img]

If it weren't for all the alcohol involved this would probably be healthy.

I have gotten sick of cooking game with bacon. After I eat it, I feel like shit because of all the grease and sometimes that bacon taste is downright overpowering. Last week we cut the duck breasts in strips and fried them up in the fry daddy with house-autry breader. We dipped them in a sweet and sour sauce and maurices bbq and it was excellent. This method of course would work on any game.

I bet if we pounded them out flat and then fried them it would make a mean country fried duck sandwich. Hmmm...

Fish- I need your chicken bog recipe muy pronto. And we need to get that Greenwood trip lined up for January.

Adluh's Seafood breader is the only one that is worth a damn. Other than that,your recipe is right on time. We do something similar often.

I cringe when I see someone wrapping bacon on game...... If you want bacon, eat bacon...

Plus it's milled in Columbia (allegedly).
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Nitro, I believe you are correct on the Adluh flour thing. Atleast judging by that big lit up sign as you drive into Cola at night! We have mixed it up a little with putting seasoned salt and other spices on the strips, but I like regular old salt and pepper best. Lots of black pepper.

I always use House Autry becuase of that show that came on in the 80's called the Southern Sportsman. You probably saw it- the guy flew around in a Zebra plane and was always shooting quail and fishing for bream on the Lumber River. No sound on 8MM video. A classic.

His name was Frank White and his Irish Setter, Fracas.

IMO, it was the best outdoors show ever.

I agree Curly. From time to time I still hum or whistle the tune they played on that show. It's one of those that's hard to lose once you start.

I'd love to get a DVD with a bunch of those old shows on them. He had a good local hunt or fishing trip and a good recipe each show.

BTW, thanks for getting that song in my head.

LCS I do the exact same thing. I guess some things you dont want to forget.

Ah yes, that show and that song bring back good memories.

Chap, I'll post another thread with my bog recipe...right now.