Thread: Needed Wild Turkey Receipes

Needed Wild Turkey Receipes... Anyone have any favorites that they are willing to share?
    “You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.”

~Chief Seattle ~

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

I have smoked quite a few that have turned out very well. I would put the "juicyness" of a properly smoked turkey up against a deep-fried one any day. The recipe I have is as follows:

Pick the turkey whole and clean appropriately leaving the skin on and weigh the cleaned bird

mix in a bowl the following ingredients
    1 stick of margerine melted
    1 cup of worchestershire sauce
    2 cups of apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon of garlic powder
    2 tablespoons of brown sugar
    1 teaspoon of black pepper
    1 teaspoon of salt (I don't put quite that much in)
    1 teaspoon of liquid smoke

mix ingredients in bowl to dissolve sugar and salt. Inject turkey with mixture ensuring full coverage of breast and legs.

Cut 1 stick of margerine into chunks and stuff in cavity of turkey with chunks of apple and onion.

To prepare the smoker let your coals burn down to a medium heat and place the water bowl under the rack for the turkey. Put 2 cans of beer in the bowl and fill the bowl with water.

Place turkey on top rack of smoker and add hickory chips and charcoal to maintain constant temperature and smoke. It helps to soak your hickory chips in water for at least 30 minutes before adding them in to the coals. The bird should cook for 1 hour for every 2 pounds of pre-prepared turkey. Turn the turkey every hour and keep an eye on the water bowl. When it runs low add water and beer as needed.

That's about it... it will take a good while to cook one this way but most agree it is worth it.

I haven't tried this one personally, but saw it done at the hunting club last year. Turned out GREAT.

Spread tin foil on the ground with some type of rack to hold the turkey stuck down in the center of the tinfoil. (this guy had one made out of stainless. Stick the turkey, plucked with skin on, on the stick and place a pot unside down over the top of the bird. Heat your coals and place them all around the pot on the tinfoil. I think he just salt and peppered the bird. You have to keep hot coals, but the turkey was done in about an hour and 45 minutes. This was the absolute best turkey I have ever tasted. Did not dry out a bit. Like I said, I didn't cook this one, but will definitly try it on my next one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

easiest bestest way:
    filet meat off of breast bone.
    cut into nuggets.
    batter with any fried chicken batter (zatarans works well)
    fry.
    enjoy.

Fire your smoker up, put breast filets and thighs on rack, sprinkle with Tony Chachere's,cover with good bacon and smoke for around three hours.

Cut the meat off the breast and thighs. Soak overnight in limon pepper marinade. Grill until golden brown and serve with wild rice and veggies.
    An average hunt becomes great with a good dog

Wild turkey + water + ice = best wild turkey receipe of all time.
    It\'s better to burn out than to fade away.

Dammit - Apparently the end of the world must be near. I have actually agreed with 3 or 4 of Hammers' posts in the last couple of weeks. And I can't argue with that one, either.

Fillet breast meat off the bone whole with no skin. Either stab with fork or cut into meat to open it up somewhat. Marinate with Italian or any other good marinade for 8 hours to a day. Cover both sides with garlic salt and fresh cracked pepper. Grill slowly over charcoal with rotation til done but be sure not to overcook as will dry out the meat.