Thread: Champagne Oyster Stew with Brie Cheese

I prepared a double recipe of this the other night. There were NO complaints

Ingredients:
    1 Leek - washed and small diced
    3 ribs Celery - washed and small diced
    1 medium Onion - peeled and small diced
    3 tbs. Butter
    3 tbs. Vegetable oil
    2 Bay Leaves
    1 tbs. Thyme
    1 tsp. Black Pepper
    1/2 tsp. White Pepper
    1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
    3 oz. Flour
    1 cup Champagne
    2 cups Water
    1 cup Heavy Cream
    1 pint shucked Oysters (about 30)
    8 oz. Brie Cheese - diced and rind removed
    Salt to taste
    1 bunch Scallions - chopped

Preparation:
    Place shucked oysters with water in a medium bowl and place in refrigerator for 1 hour. While oysters are resting, place a large pot over medium heat. Add butter and oil. When butter is melted, add vegetables and seasonings. Let cook until onions are translucent.

Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir to incorporate. Let cook for 3 minutes.

Strain the oysters from the liquid and reserve both. Add the oyster juice to the pot of vegetables and stir until smooth. Add Champagne and simmer for 20 minutes. Add cream and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the Brie and let the soup simmer for another 5 minutes, stirring so as
    to incorporate the brie completely.

Add the reserved oysters, stirring to cook evenly for 1 minute. Adjust seasoning with salt. Cover and turn off the heat. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Serve with chopped scallions. If you want to elevate the soup even more, garnish each soup with a dollap of sevruga caviar.
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

That sounds great. I was looking for a new recipe to try and this looks like the one.